Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Recruting!

From what I see on cyclonenation, cyclonereport.com Seems liek we only have like 8 or 9 commits. Not good compared to other B12 schools. Do you see ISU going the JUCO route for the next couple years. Or do you see us getting recruts, of the calibar that we need to get us on the winning track? Just looking for your input.

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER @MARCBORC

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 384
    Given: 39

Re: Recruting!

Quote Originally Posted by borc4cy View Post
    From what I see on cyclonenation, cyclonereport.com Seems liek we only have like 8 or 9 commits. Not good compared to other B12 schools. Do you see ISU going the JUCO route for the next couple years. Or do you see us getting recruts, of the calibar that we need to get us on the winning track? Just looking for your input.
    Somewhat normal in terms of numbers of commits for ISU at this point. I think that Chizik will hit the Jucos to shore up some weak spots on the team due to attrition and lack of Big XII talent at a few positions. It will be a long rebuilding process. No quick fix.

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Those recruiting databases don't really have us in on many O-Line prospects, that is troubling. Yet we have 3 commits that are all convinced they will play quarterback on a team that already has 2 young guys battling it out for that position. We need to build up each line and then we will be competitive.

Both are lines are inexperienced, but really not that young. Our O-Line sports 3 juniors in Johnson, Schmeling, and Dedrick (yes Dedrick is a jr), and our D-Line has 2 seniors and a junior. We need some young talent out there. I'm hoping guys like Osemele, Lamaak, Baysinger, Kellman, and Black really turn out.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 248
    Given: 34

Agreed Max, We seem to have good skill positions, but never seem to do well on the lines.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I didn't realize there is 2 of us!

Starter
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 1

What Schools Are You Looking At?

Quote Originally Posted by borc4cy View Post
    ISU will never have a bunch of early commits for 2 reasons:

1) We aren't a traditional power or currently an elite program. Schools like Texas, OU, Nebraska, etc can garner a ton of early commits because they tell a kid to commit or they'll pull the offer and move on to another kid. If ISU used that strategy a kid would just laugh in the ISU coaches faces.

2) Iowa doesn't produce more than a handful of Big 12/Big 10 caliber players each year. The reality is when we recruit states like Texas or Florida- the kids didn't grow up being Cyclone fans where they will jump on a scholarship offer. Out-of-state kids are going to take their time to get comfortable with ISU as a university and with GC and staff.

BTW- I look at our competition from a recruiting standpoint being schools like KU, Mizzou, KSU, CU or even Iowa. Our 8 recruits isn't much different than the majority of those schools. Mizzou has like 15 recruits, but 5 are instate kids. KSU has done well but they have the built in advantage of the Kansas JUCO programs in their backyard.

Starter
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower57 View Post
    Those recruiting databases don't really have us in on many O-Line prospects, that is troubling. Yet we have 3 commits that are all convinced they will play quarterback on a team that already has 2 young guys battling it out for that position. We need to build up each line and then we will be competitive.
    The positions listed by Rivals or Scout don't necessarily indicate where the coaches project a kid to play at ISU. It's entirely possible that McDonough, Bykowski & Tuftee could all end up at OL at ISU.

I look at Jordan, Land & Tiller and my guess is the coaching staff looks for one kid to be 2nd/3rd string at QB. Jordan sounds like a good athlete and at 6'4" could develop into a TE in a couple years. With 4.41 speed Land could play WR, CB or S. The same could apply to Tiller.

DT appears to be the position where we need the most help and I would expect us to hit the JUCO's hard to get immediate help. Same goes for DB's.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,087
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 46

let me see, Chizik has 8 or 9 commits right now and there is a lot of concern, yet it was okay that Dan had 6 in November of last year?

I would like to see a lot more recruits at this point in time, but on the other hand I always thought that Dan tended to settled for beating UNI for in state recruits.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,154
    Given: 601

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin' View Post
    I didn't realize there is 2 of us!
    Well, at least one of you is a flaming liberal, so as long as that's not two, I'll be able to tell ya apart.

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Well, at least one of you is a flaming liberal, so as long as that's not two, I'll be able to tell ya apart.
    Not really a Flamer. And if being Critical of GW Bush and his failed policies makes me a Liberal, I will PROUDLY wear that label. I hope that in the next election that people will elect a President, instead of "the guy they would most like to have a beer with". I want a President who doesn't mangle the English language. And I want a President who doesn't make me think that he is a complete IDIOT.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,154
    Given: 601

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
    I hope that in the next election that people will elect a President, instead of "the guy they would most like to have a beer with". I want a President who doesn't mangle the English language. And I want a President who doesn't make me think that he is a complete IDIOT.
    I'll agree with you on those points for sure. I just want a president who isn't bought and paid for. And no, I don't care if Obama doesn't accept special interest money.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,733
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 167
    Given: 45

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
    Not really a Flamer. And if being Critical of GW Bush and his failed policies makes me a Liberal, I will PROUDLY wear that label. I hope that in the next election that people will elect a President, instead of "the guy they would most like to have a beer with". I want a President who doesn't mangle the English language. And I want a President who doesn't make me think that he is a complete IDIOT.
    I was trying to figure out which one of you was the flaming liberal myself. Now i know.

“Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.”

Martin Luther King Jr.

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower57 View Post

Both are lines are inexperienced, but really not that young. Our O-Line sports 3 juniors in Johnson, Schmeling, and Dedrick (yes Dedrick is a jr), and our D-Line has 2 seniors and a junior. We need some young talent out there. I'm hoping guys like Osemele, Lamaak, Baysinger, Kellman, and Black really turn out.
    Better tell the officials at ISU that Dedrick is a Junior. He is listed as a SOPHOMORE and as having REDSHIRTED one year. This according to Cyclones.com.

We sport a Senior QB, WR, TE and have 2 sophomores, 2 juniors, and a freshman starting on the OL. I would say that is pretty young.

On Defense, we have a NG and a DT that are seniors. And two Linebackers that are seniors also. Berg is a senior at safety but has been injured much of the year. One DE is a sophomore, one DE is a junior, MLB is a sophomore. One CB is a sophomore, one CB is a junior. One safety is a sophomore. And the other safety that has been playing in place of Berg is a sophomore. So that makes 5 sophomores and 2 juniors on defense besides the 4 senior starters. I would say that is pretty young also.

Overall we have really 3 seniors on Offense. 4 seniors on Defense (Berg has been injured). And a senior placekicker. We should be better next year. But we have heard that line before. At least Chizik says it like it is. "We were completely outplayed". Instead of the usual Mac spin of "We TIED them in the second half". I find that refreshing. No Excuses.

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    I'll agree with you on those points for sure. I just want a president who isn't bought and paid for. And no, I don't care if Obama doesn't accept special interest money.
    Don't kid yourself. They are ALL bought and paid for. And UNTIL Americans can put a little more thought process into this whole thing other than the amount of attention given to 30 second or 60 second Ads, NOTHING will change.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 427
    Given: 303

Take away Crabtree and it might have been a fair game. He will do more in one season than Blythe did in four seasons.

Last edited by Wesley; 10-08-2007 at 10:17 AM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.