Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 136
    Given: 260

Royce's Progress

Two tough-to-swallow losses against Top 10 teams in the past week, but I'm happy to see Royce playing well against Big 12 competition. I have to admit - about a month ago I thought Royce vs. T-Rob would be a massacre that exposed the work Royce needs to do. After yesterday, he is looking like a legitimate All-Big 12 player. No, I don't think he'll be leaving for the NBA after the season.

Early in the year, he didn't seem real aggressive or confident. His defense (if you call it that) was predicated on athleticism, not technique. He was also a bit tentative going after rebounds.

Over the past month he's really become confident, aggressive, shown a little more technique in his post moves, and is swallowing up all the boards. 18 and 17 boards in two of the last three games - against conf. competition. His defense in the first four conf. games has actually been pretty good - considering how bad it was in December.

He obviously has some areas of his game that need work: FT shooting, reducing turnovers (both getting his pocket picked, and better judgement on some passes), a more confident jumper, and a bit more control attacking the basket - to avoid charge calls. But I think that will come with more experience.

I think we'll continue to see two strategies (we've already seen) employed to guard Royce: Hack-a-Royce, and Flopping. Time is of the essence for him to show he can make free-throws. Also, big men who don't have a prayer stopping his progress toward the hoop, will try coaxing a charge. He'll need to be careful about the slightest elbow, drop of the shoulder, or simply backing down too hard. We saw it yesterday - he gets frustrated, wants to go straight thru a guy, and they're savy enough to lay down and get the call.

Overall, he's met my expectations and I'm interested to see how much more development we'll see by end of season.

Pro
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 288
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 225

Re: Royce's Progress

A nice reliable jumper, a Karl Malone like fadeaway will make him nearly impossible to contain. His passing is getting better, and his rebounding is really coming along, looking forward to seeing his continued development.

Go Cyclones!!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 182

The guy maybe the best rebounder in ISU history. He got 17 yesterday and makes them all look easy. He has suck a knack for knowing where the ball is going to go and if his hands are on it he brings it down.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Starter
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 332
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

He got swatted plenty by their 7 footer. Plenty more to work on

Prospect
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by madcityCY View Post
    Two tough-to-swallow losses against Top 10 teams in the past week, but I'm happy to see Royce playing well against Big 12 competition. I have to admit - about a month ago I thought Royce vs. T-Rob would be a massacre that exposed the work Royce needs to do. After yesterday, he is looking like a legitimate All-Big 12 player. No, I don't think he'll be leaving for the NBA after the season.

Early in the year, he didn't seem real aggressive or confident. His defense (if you call it that) was predicated on athleticism, not technique. He was also a bit tentative going after rebounds.

Over the past month he's really become confident, aggressive, shown a little more technique in his post moves, and is swallowing up all the boards. 18 and 17 boards in two of the last three games - against conf. competition. His defense in the first four conf. games has actually been pretty good - considering how bad it was in December.

He obviously has some areas of his game that need work: FT shooting, reducing turnovers (both getting his pocket picked, and better judgement on some passes), a more confident jumper, and a bit more control attacking the basket - to avoid charge calls. But I think that will come with more experience.

I think we'll continue to see two strategies (we've already seen) employed to guard Royce: Hack-a-Royce, and Flopping. Time is of the essence for him to show he can make free-throws. Also, big men who don't have a prayer stopping his progress toward the hoop, will try coaxing a charge. He'll need to be careful about the slightest elbow, drop of the shoulder, or simply backing down too hard. We saw it yesterday - he gets frustrated, wants to go straight thru a guy, and they're savy enough to lay down and get the call.

Overall, he's met my expectations and I'm interested to see how much more development we'll see by end of season.

If he could learn to make freethrows; he could potentially be one of the best all time Cyclone players. He has immense talent and physical ability. No doubt we would have won yesterday had he made his FT's. On the other side, we wouldn't have been able to play the type of game we did yesterday (and be on the cusp of winning it) without his skills.

Addict
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 1,063
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 543
    Given: 34

It sure is fun to watch him play. He has really improved in the last 2 months.

Starter
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 761
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 160

That spin move, then duck under where he basically dunked it on Thomas Robinson was as good a post move as I've seen from an Iowa state player in a long time. He's got the spin move down now that he uses when players cut off his drives that seems unstoppable.

Pro
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 557
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 107

He has been better than I thought he would be. I wasn't expecting him to be such a good passer and ball handler though. After the loss yesterday many Kansas fans and other people watching the game had things to say like he is a headcase and all he does is whine I hate that. He has been nothing but clean ever since he got on campus. You can't form that after 1 game. But other than White is so much fun to watch and this team next year will be even better if White stays. He needs to.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 397
    Given: 191

Quote Originally Posted by Thompsonclone21 View Post
    He has been better than I thought he would be. I wasn't expecting him to be such a good passer and ball handler though. After the loss yesterday many Kansas fans and other people watching the game had things to say like he is a headcase and all he does is whine I hate that. He has been nothing but clean ever since he got on campus. You can't form that after 1 game. But other than White is so much fun to watch and this team next year will be even better if White stays. He needs to.
    They're scared of what he and ISU are going to do to them in the future.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

What was he so ****** about during that TO in the 2nd half? Refs, players or coaches? Seemed like Fred sat him down a bit to calm him.

Team Rainbo_

Quote Originally Posted by VikesFan4Ever28 View Post
    You have almost 5 crap tons.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 762
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 46

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye11en1 View Post
    What was he so ****** about during that TO in the 2nd half? Refs, players or coaches? Seemed like Fred sat him down a bit to calm him.
    I'm guessing the fact that our lead had evaporated

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,266
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye11en1 View Post
    I just don't think he's used to the ****** officiating in the Big XII. However I'm sure after losing to Mizzou after a little and blowing a 12 point lead didn't help. Seemed like the refs though.

CyBer

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAgronomist View Post
    They're scared of what he and ISU are going to do to them in the future.
    This is true.

Addict
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 266
    Given: 403

Royce is polishing up his game, I'd like to see be a bit more dominant on the offensive end but I think he's such an unselfish player that its just more natural for him to be a facilitator and set up other guys. What I'm really liking about his development is that he's seems to be turning into the vocal leader on the team. He's always talking to guys on timeouts, and I didn't mind seeing some fire from him yesterday. This team needs that.

Pro
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 464
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsSocial

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 222

Maybe il get crap for saying this but if white can get his ft% to like 65 and develope some kind of mid range game over the off season he will be the best player in all of college basketball. This year and next our team will go as far as white wants to take us.