Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 103

Twister Sister Summary - ATM wins

This is one instance where having a 2 hour drive home is a good thing. It allowed me to talk about the game and reflect on what I saw. I also decided the best thing to do with this one was talk about the positives first and not get into what I think went wrong too deeply.

The positives. Our defense held ATM to near their season low (set against mighty UConn in Storr). This was in spite of being dominated on the boards and giving ATM numerous second chance opportunities. Let’s see…what else…Pop always hustles. Heck, I’ll give it to the team…there were countless hustle plays tonight. Beyond that, there just isn’t much to talk about on this one. Oh yeah…Brynn has a really beautiful 3 point shot when she can get open. She and Pop had high scoring honors with 9 and 10 points respectively.

I’ll make one other observation and then discuss the game. So far this year, the Big 12 officials have been inconsistent at best and outright horrible at worst. Tonight wasn’t horrible, but man were they inconsistent in their calls – both ways.

The first half of the first half was the most exciting part of this game. Early on it was knotted at 4 when ATM went on a 10-0 run. You were starting to wonder if things were going to get away from us early when the ladies battled back. They got some stops and picked up a few baskets to pull within 4 at 18-14 at the 9 minute mark. Remember what happened in the second half of the KU game? This was worse. ISU would be outscored 15-1 the rest of the way. At the half ATM had shot the ball 13 more times than the Sisters. The assist to turnover ratio for the teams was near mirrors. Unfortunately, our ladies had 11 turnovers to 5 assists at the half. One thing that was evident was that ATM’s defense rattled our ladies to the core. They out-hustled us. They beat on us physically as much as the officials would allow. They out-jumped us. They outran us. It was total domination of their defense over our offense. It doesn’t help that we struggle offensively in any game. When you face a team like ATM you need someone to step up. No one…and I mean no one…did tonight. For the half, ISU had 6 buckets. That’s it. I could talk about the missed free throws, but there weren’t enough of them to matter on either side. We did leave some points off the board though by missing the front ends on 1-1 opps.

The second half? Well…I’ll just say that ATM could have never scored again, yes…not another basket in the entire game and it would have ended in a tie. The second half was a pure repeat of the first with our guards, mostly Moody, not being able to handle the pressure. Moody ended up with TEN turnovers on the night. You could tell she was clearly frustrated late in the game. Welcome to the Big 12. I’m not going to point the finger at Moody though. We had no energy. There was limited movement on the floor when we had the ball. Hardly anyone could hit the broad side of a barn with the basketball. It was just one of those nights. The score was kept lower than it might have been as ATM started using delay tactics to just chew up clock during the last 10 minutes. This may have been merciful.

I’m trying to be positive and I decided to look at this loss (59-33) as an anomaly. Sometimes you just have a night where nothing is working. Look at what happened to North Carolina today at Florida State. Unfortunately, there are some patterns that have emerged such as the lack of offensive firepower, the turnovers, missed free throws, etc. that concern me. Sometimes it looks like this is a team that has yet to develop chemistry and that may not be the right term for what I’m seeing. I also have to remember that we just finished playing the #10 team in the country. What is also scary is to realize that they lost at home to the team we play next – Texas. The Big 12 is an unforgiving task master this year. You have to have some things go right for you and sometimes get a good break to pull out some wins in this league. So far, those breaks haven’t fallen our way.

Here are our next four games @Texas, TTech at home, @KSU, and a return date @ATM. Talk about unforgiving. The Sisters are sitting at 0-4 right now and unless some of those breaks fall our way…well…the coaches and players have their work cut out for them. We play in the toughest conference in the country and there isn’t a single game that we can count on. Hopefully some hard work, a gut check, and a few breaks here and there will pull in some W’s. In the mean time its up to us to keep cheering the ladies on and giving them whatever support we can muster.

Starter
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: Twister Sister Summary - ATM wins

What did Bill mean in the post game presser by the statement "after the seasons over, people will make decisions and that's part of life"? Doesn't sound to encouraging to me.

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 924
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

Yeah that really sounds bad. It really sounds like we are going to lose some players... possibly big ones. Moody? Prins? Harris?

Pro
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 62

I would not admit it before, but the loss of Bolte, Stuckey and Schroll is taking a toll.

Pro
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 574
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by barometriclow View Post
    I would not admit it before, but the loss of Bolte, Stuckey and Schroll is taking a toll.
    I would say anytime you lose upper class leadership it is tough, but the others have to step up and outside of Pop that's not happening on the court

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I will say that several showed hustle last night and if they all played like Pop, who had hustle and more importantly did not back down, we would be third round contenders. Sometimes hustle is not enough and I fear they have lost thier confidence.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by barometriclow View Post
    I will say that several showed hustle last night and if they all played like Pop, who had hustle and more importantly did not back down, we would be third round contenders. Sometimes hustle is not enough and I fear they have lost thier confidence.
    I agree. There was hustle last night. Our defense did a more than adequate job against the #10 team in the country! Hustle doesn't put the basketball in the hoop for you. As the coaches said after the game...layups and free throws should be nearly automatic (paraphrasing). and we can't do either.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

We left this game totally disheartened. The biggest disappointment to us was a total offensive breakdown, seemed like there was no offensive plan to start with. Everyone knows that A & M's defensive scheeme is a tough physical clinging man-to-man - but were we prepared? It didn't seem like it to me. Yes, a lot of standing around on offense. What's the point guard to do when nobody seems to move enough to get open?

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 380
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 107

After the game this is what I heard from the people around us about why we are not scoring:
    1. Texas A & M played a tough defense
    2. our game plan is to predictable, everyone knows we want it to our posts
    3.the players are not moving, just standing around & to much dribbling
    4. the players are afraid to shoot (62 TAM-45 shots ISU) for fear if they miss they will get pulled

I believe it is a little bit of all of these factors.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't believe the players are afraid to shoot cuz they might get pulled. Never seen Bill do that unless they try a low percentage shot. They get pulled when they don't play defense or rebound or they are tired and just committed a silly foul or a turnover.

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 275
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneBob View Post
    We left this game totally disheartened. The biggest disappointment to us was a total offensive breakdown, seemed like there was no offensive plan to start with. Everyone knows that A & M's defensive scheeme is a tough physical clinging man-to-man - but were we prepared? It didn't seem like it to me. Yes, a lot of standing around on offense. What's the point guard to do when nobody seems to move enough to get open?
    Isn't the offensive potential there? Go down the roster...

Shooters: Harris, Mansfield, Prins, Williamson, Zimmerman
    Scorers: Christofferson, Ellis, Moody, Poppens

Maybe the problem is too many options.

K-State won at TTU playing essentially only their five starters for the whole game.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cydney View Post
    Isn't the offensive potential there? Go down the roster...

Shooters: Harris, Mansfield, Prins, Williamson, Zimmerman
    Scorers: Christofferson, Ellis, Moody, Poppens

Maybe the problem is too many options.

K-State won at TTU playing essentially only their five starters for the whole game.
    If you look at that list there are only two names who have been consistent scores all season -Pop and Williamson.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 5

Player defections will continue. Bill has to change some things..esp himself and his behavior of late.

Pro
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 680
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

Been on the road for work for a while so out of the loop and catching up. Anyone know why Cole only played 4 minutes? Sounds like Moody had some challenges this game, but she from the stats it looks like she played more minutes than any other guards.

Starter
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I hope when it's all said and done rational decisions have been made and ot irrational ones. Things like this happen to all programs when coaches stay as long as Bill has.