Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2

Top to bottom, best effort I've seen this year

While the competitive may not be as tough, it was still decent and I thought I saw the best effort this year. From Ryak to Matt, I saw great (or greater) intensity. Conditioning is finally coming around, as guys work their way back from injuries. Love Goettl intensity; he is really showing progress and probably isn't surprising too many opponents now, as they know he "is back." Even in loses, I saw guys keeping at it. Congratulations guys. Can hardly wait for Cornell!!

Chile Mac is Back!
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 327
    Given: 710

Re: Top to bottom, best effort I've seen this year

Great to see the progress this team has made and I appreciate all the updates!

Pro
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 277
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

The lighter weights are closer and closer to at least seeing the corner that they need to turn. Love watching Goettl battle.

Legend
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 302
    Given: 282

Every single wrestler is better than they were in week 1. This isn't an ideal season, but our guys continue to fight and improve. That's also why I love coach Jackson and think he is the right guy - every wrestler on the team gets better as the season goes on, as they have each of the past three years.

Last edited by Judoka; 01-13-2012 at 10:35 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,548
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 76

I enjoyed a much better effort tonight, but Schafer needs to learn to close out his matches.

He suplexed his dude for God's sake

John Walters is my hero

Addict
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,577
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 28

Schafer quit and coasted and it cost him. We won't be good again until they go for the kill. Also, sorensen cost us too by quiting early after dominating all but the last few seconds. And the loss in OT was a result of mentally quiting with 2 seconds left.

ALL IN
    www.cyclonejerseys.com
    Always buying historically relevant ISU gear

Recruit
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 313
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Hey All,

I happened to have the pleasure of being in attendance tonight and I thought I would offer my opinion on the matches and even offer grades. Feel free to critique it all you want this is just my opinion.

125 - Ryak controlled the entire match and won 2-0. He never seemed to be in real danger of losing but I wish I had seen more offense and aggression out of him. He didnt seem to want to push the pace at all and seemed content to settle in and react to everything. I honestly think he is quick enough to hit an oustide single on almost everyone and I just wish he would show us his offense. Overall he gets a B+.

133 - Hallman came out and I was impressed with how he showed some life and offense. He needs to learn to finish some of the deep singles because he was in on atleast a handfull of them throughout the 2nd and 3rd period before being teched. He never gave up and I think he is the best option we have this year here at this weight. B for effort. Would be an A if he finished even just ONE shot. Yes I know the opponents ranking.

141 - We are watching the growth of a tough wrestler right now and it is a TON OF FUN. Luke is showing us he has the ability to learn from previous matches and be mentally tough after going down in the 1st minute of the match. He then dominated the next six minutes and won 6 to 2. He is a lot of fun to watch and I am thinking Mayfield goes to 149 when he gets back. A+ for controlling the match and avenging a loss from earlier in the season.

149 - Swalla went out and wrestled hard, he never gave up and he attempted to create action which is what I want out of him. He kept it close and even though the final score was far apart in the end I never really felt him out of it. I was proud of him in the match and thinks he deserves a B+. I think he is coming along but this will be Mayfields spot when/if he returns.

157 - I was very proud of how tough Moreno wrestled. He went out there and created action, he was down but came back and dominated on the feet and from the top position. His double leg in the third period was a thing of beauty from the set up to the finish. I think he still has potention he just needs to believe in himself, good shot of confidence here and he gets an A.

165 - Sorenson is worth the price of admission to every meet. He is a brute on the mat and the first period showed us a perfect setup and finish. He absolutely broke his opponent and I just wish he had cut him with about a minute left in the third to go for the tech fall instead of riding him out and putting himself into a position to not achieve that. A- because of the mental lapse.

174 - I really expected more out of England tonight, he just didnt seem to be into the match and looked gassed. C.

184 - After dominating the first period I watched Beard coast to this victory, he could have very easily gone on to major the kid instead of only winning by 3 points. Very disgusted with his last 4 minutes of wrestling. Against better competition he will not be able to cruise to a victory like this or like he did against the Wagner kid from Iowa. B- only because he won.

197 - For six minutes and 56 seconds I saw the cole schafer on the mat that I have been hoping to see for a long time. He created opportunites, he countered and he controlled. Then I get to see the biggest mental lapse happen that I have not seen in a long time. WITH FOUR SECONDS LEFT ON THE CLOCK HE GIVES UP THE TIEING TAKEDOWN. He could have turned around and ran off the mat and won because he had zero stall calls against him. What bothers me most is, Im not surprised this happened. At all. He gets a C- because he actually wrestled well then just gave up for about 20 seconds.

Heavy - Gibson wrestled hard and tough for 3 minutes and then coasted to 10 point victory, I want to see him shoot more because I think he could finish a lot of shots but he is out of shape and was clearly gassed at the end of the 2nd period. Calling for an injury timeout seemed to be just so he could catch his breath and I wasnt the only one thinking it. Everyone around me in my section all voiced it. C because he got the victory but should have teched the kid easily.

Ref - Called a fair meet I thought. Only thing I have to question is why did there seem to be so many caution calls. Was it just me or was the ref slow to blow the whistle tonight? B+

Hilton Crowd - Not to shabby tonight, was into every match and cheered everyone for wrestling hard, almost as if there was some added excitiment going on before the meet even started. Felt good. B+.

I honestly think the team is buying into what Jackson is bringing to the table, even with all the injuries we are starting to see our team wrestle TOUGH and be aggressive. His attitude is starting to come out in the team and I really really enjoy how he has backed his kids up and believes in them and you can see our kids believing in their coach. I am impressed.

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 830
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 20

I really think that KJ is one hell of a coach. He does pretty well with kids and less talent. I think that once this team get some experience we could see some great things at ISU. We just have to remember that this.team is almost all reshirt freshman and sophs out there, so it will take time. Just be patient.

All-Star
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,026
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 62

Admittedly I haven't seen much of the team and haven't kept up as much as I normally do. But good to see this win, sounds like some good matches were won. Wrestling is all about peaking at the right time, and if they keep improving, good times are coming. Young team, so it's unrealistic to place super high at nationals, but it's a good opportunity to get them good experience and get everyone at a higher level. I hope this perceived lackluster season hasn't caused JP to wonder about his hire with KJ. Give it time, in a couple years things will be on top again.

Prospect
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Smile Re: Top to bottom, best effort I've seen this year

Give KJ a few more years, and they will be National Champion!

Pro
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by NCIAfarmer View Post
    Hey All,

I happened to have the pleasure of being in attendance tonight and I thought I would offer my opinion on the matches and even offer grades. Feel free to critique it all you want this is just my opinion.

125 - Ryak controlled the entire match and won 2-0. He never seemed to be in real danger of losing but I wish I had seen more offense and aggression out of him. He didnt seem to want to push the pace at all and seemed content to settle in and react to everything. I honestly think he is quick enough to hit an oustide single on almost everyone and I just wish he would show us his offense. Overall he gets a B+.

133 - Hallman came out and I was impressed with how he showed some life and offense. He needs to learn to finish some of the deep singles because he was in on atleast a handfull of them throughout the 2nd and 3rd period before being teched. He never gave up and I think he is the best option we have this year here at this weight. B for effort. Would be an A if he finished even just ONE shot. Yes I know the opponents ranking.

141 - We are watching the growth of a tough wrestler right now and it is a TON OF FUN. Luke is showing us he has the ability to learn from previous matches and be mentally tough after going down in the 1st minute of the match. He then dominated the next six minutes and won 6 to 2. He is a lot of fun to watch and I am thinking Mayfield goes to 149 when he gets back. A+ for controlling the match and avenging a loss from earlier in the season.

149 - Swalla went out and wrestled hard, he never gave up and he attempted to create action which is what I want out of him. He kept it close and even though the final score was far apart in the end I never really felt him out of it. I was proud of him in the match and thinks he deserves a B+. I think he is coming along but this will be Mayfields spot when/if he returns.

157 - I was very proud of how tough Moreno wrestled. He went out there and created action, he was down but came back and dominated on the feet and from the top position. His double leg in the third period was a thing of beauty from the set up to the finish. I think he still has potention he just needs to believe in himself, good shot of confidence here and he gets an A.

165 - Sorenson is worth the price of admission to every meet. He is a brute on the mat and the first period showed us a perfect setup and finish. He absolutely broke his opponent and I just wish he had cut him with about a minute left in the third to go for the tech fall instead of riding him out and putting himself into a position to not achieve that. A- because of the mental lapse.

174 - I really expected more out of England tonight, he just didnt seem to be into the match and looked gassed. C.

184 - After dominating the first period I watched Beard coast to this victory, he could have very easily gone on to major the kid instead of only winning by 3 points. Very disgusted with his last 4 minutes of wrestling. Against better competition he will not be able to cruise to a victory like this or like he did against the Wagner kid from Iowa. B- only because he won.

197 - For six minutes and 56 seconds I saw the cole schafer on the mat that I have been hoping to see for a long time. He created opportunites, he countered and he controlled. Then I get to see the biggest mental lapse happen that I have not seen in a long time. WITH FOUR SECONDS LEFT ON THE CLOCK HE GIVES UP THE TIEING TAKEDOWN. He could have turned around and ran off the mat and won because he had zero stall calls against him. What bothers me most is, Im not surprised this happened. At all. He gets a C- because he actually wrestled well then just gave up for about 20 seconds.

Heavy - Gibson wrestled hard and tough for 3 minutes and then coasted to 10 point victory, I want to see him shoot more because I think he could finish a lot of shots but he is out of shape and was clearly gassed at the end of the 2nd period. Calling for an injury timeout seemed to be just so he could catch his breath and I wasnt the only one thinking it. Everyone around me in my section all voiced it. C because he got the victory but should have teched the kid easily.

Ref - Called a fair meet I thought. Only thing I have to question is why did there seem to be so many caution calls. Was it just me or was the ref slow to blow the whistle tonight? B+

Hilton Crowd - Not to shabby tonight, was into every match and cheered everyone for wrestling hard, almost as if there was some added excitiment going on before the meet even started. Felt good. B+.

I honestly think the team is buying into what Jackson is bringing to the table, even with all the injuries we are starting to see our team wrestle TOUGH and be aggressive. His attitude is starting to come out in the team and I really really enjoy how he has backed his kids up and believes in them and you can see our kids believing in their coach. I am impressed.
    Nice writeup. The bolded part reminded me of a question that came to mind last night. Why did ISU get a stall warning in one match (sorry, don't remember which one) when the VT guy just tripoded himself and didn't look to be doing much of anything?

Quote Originally Posted by im4cyclones View Post
    [Anything] is easy if you are content to suck at it.

Recruit
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 313
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by iahawkhunter View Post
    Nice writeup. The bolded part reminded me of a question that came to mind last night. Why did ISU get a stall warning in one match (sorry, don't remember which one) when the VT guy just tripoded himself and didn't look to be doing much of anything?

It happened because our ISU wrestler was not making any move to break him down and return him to the mat. I understand why it looks like the Va Tech guy would be stalling but they deem that him initiating the move. I believe it happened it the first match with Ryak. In a similar situation some kids throw the legs in and the bottom guy will repeatedly stand up. They deem this potentially dangerous and start over but if it happens continually the top guy gets the stall call because he is not making a move to bring the bottom guy back to the mat. Sorry if thats hard to follow because its hard to explain some parts of wrestling :).

Pro
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by NCIAfarmer View Post
    It happened because our ISU wrestler was not making any move to break him down and return him to the mat. I understand why it looks like the Va Tech guy would be stalling but they deem that him initiating the move. I believe it happened it the first match with Ryak. In a similar situation some kids throw the legs in and the bottom guy will repeatedly stand up. They deem this potentially dangerous and start over but if it happens continually the top guy gets the stall call because he is not making a move to bring the bottom guy back to the mat. Sorry if thats hard to follow because its hard to explain some parts of wrestling :).
    Thanks for the explanation. I can follow the reasoning, but from the uneducated observers' perspective it sure goes against intuition.

Quote Originally Posted by im4cyclones View Post
    [Anything] is easy if you are content to suck at it.

Pro
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 360
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 73

Really proud of our guys, especially Luke at 141, Mike at 157, Andrew at 165 and Matt at Hwt.

133 is brutal and will continue that way, as long as they wrestle hard, I will not harp on Cash, Hallman, and Terukina

149 - Swalla is put in a tough position as a true freshman that got 5th at State last year. He works hard and will continue to improve.

England and Beard need to continue to work hard, they are close but not there yet. Beard's may be not 100% healthy and conditioned coming of the injury.

Cole has to wrestle on the edge of the mat and till the whistle blows. Has alway given up alot of points at the edge of mats and ends of periods. But I loved the suplex throw.