Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 541

The definition of Hilton Magic IMO

Hilton Magic was born because of the following:

1. A good team, which this is the 1st year that we have been pretty good in a long time, they need to improve some things but talent is there. No more Dominique Buckleys, Wes Eikmeirs, Clayton Vette.

2. A good crowd, the crowd needs to be rowdy, the other team shouldn't be able to think much less play basketball. I like the OHHHHHH, but everyone does that but maybe we need more Cowbell or maybe we need 13000 people just screaming their collective heads off and if you can whistle obnoxiously please do. Lets make Hilton feared again. Lets make the KUs of the world just despise coming into Ames.

We have been missing #1 for quite a while, thanks to terrible coaching and recruiting. #2 has also dwindled slightly over the years because of #1. I find it amazing how supportive our fan base has been despite the McDoormat years. We truley are some of the best fans on the planet.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 3

Re: The definition of Hilton Magic IMO

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneVet View Post

1. A good team, which this is the 1st year that we have been pretty good in a long time, they need to improve some things but talent is there. No more Dominique Buckleys, Wes Eikmeirs, Clayton Vette.

2. A good crowd, the crowd needs to be rowdy, the other team shouldn't be able to think much less play basketball. I like the OHHHHHH, but everyone does that but maybe we need more Cowbell or maybe we need 13000 people just screaming their collective heads off and if you can whistle obnoxiously please do. Lets make Hilton feared again. Lets make the KUs of the world just despise coming into Ames.

We have been missing #1 for quite a while, thanks to terrible coaching and recruiting. #2 has also dwindled slightly over the years because of #1. I find it amazing how supportive our fan base has been despite the McDoormat years. We truley are some of the best fans on the planet.
    I don't think a "good team" is required at all. I really don't think that has much to do with it, except for the fact that you do need some bodies in the seats to make the place noisy, and if your team is not winning much, then apparently people use that as an excuse to not go to the games. The "Hilton Magic" existed before it was named that, and there were some pretty bad teams back then.

Hell, the team that was at ISU when the term was coined in 1989 only finished 17-12, and tied for fourth in the Big Eight. Not exactly a powerhouse, although they did make the NCAA, losing in the first round to UCLA.

But Hilton Magic is about the fans. What do they do to support the team, and how uncomfortable can they make it for the opposing team without being rude or offensive? The players in turn seem to feed off that, and in many cases performed better and in some cases seemingly did the impossible.

I have not been in Hilton in years, but from everything I have seen on tv, and everything I have read here........it seems to be a much more dead and quiet place than in the past. Maybe it is the distractions of the scoreboard and advertising, maybe it is things like Cyclone Alley, maybe it is that we have not had a coach like Johnny (and probably never will again).

I'm not sure how you bring it back, but I know it has to come from the fans, not the team. If the ads and other distractions are a problem, then someone should be letting JP know that. That has always seemed to me to be a bit of a lame excuse though....but maybe it really does deter people from yelling somehow.

I do know this.....the OHHHHHH thing does not work....no matter how many people are yelling it. Everyone does it......not intimidating. With Hilton Magic....the noise decibel was so high, your ears would hurt.

I don't know what to say about Cyclone Alley. I do know they do not show it a lot on tv broadcasts, so that kind of tells me that not much is happening there.

Ok....that's my two cents.

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 257
    Given: 538

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneVet View Post

False. When 1/3 of the crowd leaves before the end of a close game against a top 10 opponent, that is an embarrassment.

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by ianoconnor View Post
    False. When 1/3 of the crowd leaves before the end of a close game against a top 10 opponent, that is an embarrassment.
    This. What were we, down 4, when people started to file out and stand around the concourse? I'm very glad that this is only a very small, but visible, minority of Cyclone fans.

Starter
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 420
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 13

Cyclone Alley is really dumb. Their organized chants are tacky and they are all Freshman that don't even know the traditional opposing team introduction clap. The older people down in the lower tier have no idea what the H E double hockey sticks the Cyclone Alley kids are doing so it is easier to stand and watch puzzled than join in.

Dismantle Cyclone Alley and let the students who really enjoy Cyclone hoops sit down close to the court to make noise and not do awful poorly syncronized cheers.

Cyclone Alley is a representation of Greg McDermott. Time i get it outa here!

Cyclone Hoops Grass Roots Campaign!!!

Addict
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,477
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 186
    Given: 167

Quote Originally Posted by Dryburn View Post
    I don't think a "good team" is required at all. I really don't think that has much to do with it, except for the fact that you do need some bodies in the seats to make the place noisy, and if your team is not winning much, then apparently people use that as an excuse to not go to the games. The "Hilton Magic" existed before it was named that, and there were some pretty bad teams back then.

Hell, the team that was at ISU when the term was coined in 1989 only finished 17-12, and tied for fourth in the Big Eight. Not exactly a powerhouse, although they did make the NCAA, losing in the first round to UCLA.

But Hilton Magic is about the fans. What do they do to support the team, and how uncomfortable can they make it for the opposing team without being rude or offensive? The players in turn seem to feed off that, and in many cases performed better and in some cases seemingly did the impossible.

I have not been in Hilton in years, but from everything I have seen on tv, and everything I have read here........it seems to be a much more dead and quiet place than in the past. Maybe it is the distractions of the scoreboard and advertising, maybe it is things like Cyclone Alley, maybe it is that we have not had a coach like Johnny (and probably never will again).

I'm not sure how you bring it back, but I know it has to come from the fans, not the team. If the ads and other distractions are a problem, then someone should be letting JP know that. That has always seemed to me to be a bit of a lame excuse though....but maybe it really does deter people from yelling somehow.

I do know this.....the OHHHHHH thing does not work....no matter how many people are yelling it. Everyone does it......not intimidating. With Hilton Magic....the noise decibel was so high, your ears would hurt.

I don't know what to say about Cyclone Alley. I do know they do not show it a lot on tv broadcasts, so that kind of tells me that not much is happening there.

Ok....that's my two cents.
    This cannot be compared at all. You just selected a team that wen't to the tournament, had a winning record, and finished in the top half of the conference. How many times has all of these occured in the last 6 years? In the 80's there weren't bad teams year in and year out like there have been recently. The atmosphere has been pretty good for how bad we have been. Our last 6 years have been worse than Oklahoma and Texas Tech. Look where they are at? I'm pretty sure they both struggle to get 2,000 people to show up. At least we still have as many people showing up that we do.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 2

Hilton Magic is now just a myth...much like AL_4_State' virginity.

Carrying the banner for ISU.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,100
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by BringBackJohnny View Post
    Cyclone Alley is really dumb. Their organized chants are tacky and they are all Freshman that don't even know the traditional opposing team introduction clap. The older people down in the lower tier have no idea what the H E double hockey sticks the Cyclone Alley kids are doing so it is easier to stand and watch puzzled than join in.

Dismantle Cyclone Alley and let the students who really enjoy Cyclone hoops sit down close to the court to make noise and not do awful poorly syncronized cheers.

Cyclone Alley is a representation of Greg McDermott. Time i get it outa here!

Cyclone Hoops Grass Roots Campaign!!!
    We don't need to abolish CA, we just need a better council. When I was at ISU one of my friends who had been attending Cyclone BBall games since he was essentially an infant applied to be on CA Central Council and didn't even get an interview. I'm not even sure he got acknowledgement that he applied. It's a popularity contest to become the leadership of that organization and it has nothing to do with how much you care about basketball, the Cyclones or anything else.

LOTS of schools have organized student sections that don't suck. That isn't, inherently, the problem with CA. The problem is that it's a poorly run organization.

Ohio State has MEETINGS for the entire student section to practice/learn cheers. Only a small percentage goes to them, but then at the game the cheers spread more quickly because a few scattered people know what's going on.

Addict
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,029
    Given: 215

Quote Originally Posted by driegner View Post
    We don't need to abolish CA, we just need a better council. When I was at ISU one of my friends who had been attending Cyclone BBall games since he was essentially an infant applied to be on CA Central Council and didn't even get an interview. I'm not even sure he got acknowledgement that he applied. It's a popularity contest to become the leadership of that organization and it has nothing to do with how much you care about basketball, the Cyclones or anything else.

LOTS of schools have organized student sections that don't suck. That isn't, inherently, the problem with CA. The problem is that it's a poorly run organization.

Ohio State has MEETINGS for the entire student section to practice/learn cheers. Only a small percentage goes to them, but then at the game the cheers spread more quickly because a few scattered people know what's going on.
    OK, now that I know there's a Council for CA, just added my vote to "demolish it" in the voting thread.

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by awd4cy View Post
    This cannot be compared at all. You just selected a team that wen't to the tournament, had a winning record, and finished in the top half of the conference. How many times has all of these occured in the last 6 years? In the 80's there weren't bad teams year in and year out like there have been recently. The atmosphere has been pretty good for how bad we have been. Our last 6 years have been worse than Oklahoma and Texas Tech. Look where they are at? I'm pretty sure they both struggle to get 2,000 people to show up. At least we still have as many people showing up that we do.
    There were bad teams back then too. A couple of years before the "Hilton Magic" was discovered...the team was 13-15. The team in 88-89 finished tied for 4th in an 8 team conference.

You make the point that the people have still been showing up........so why is the atmosphere not what it was as many of us remember years ago? You just had one of the most, if not the most popular players in the history of the school return as head coach....so where was the "Hilton Magic" from the crowd last year, and where is it this year?

Too many are using the quality of the team as an excuse, IMHO. What made "Hilton Magic" supposedly magic was that the crowd, the noise, the atmosphere made it extremely difficult for the opposing team to do what they were supposed to do. It didn't matter how good or how bad ISU's team was.....at Hilton.....they were almost unbeatable because of what they drew from the crowd support.

Starter
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 420
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 13

Sounds too me like CA has got to go! I don't like the organized practices either we are TAMU here.......

Its nobel idea in theory but it is pretty awful in practice. I seem to remember it always being ran by a bunch of nerdy kids who needed their CA leadership positions to feel like special snowflakes.

They feel they are the sole owners of "Hilton Magic" barf! Give the arena atomosphere back to the people and not these fools.

Pro
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 342
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by awd4cy View Post
    Ding ding ding. Post of the day.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man"

Starter
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 308
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 49

I thought Cyclone Alley would be a great addition to the arena. I was wrong. Cyclone Alley does not add to the atmosphere and has been a dismal failure. If anything, it has taken away from it. It has been given a number of years to work out the kinks/improve. It has not and the experiment has failed. It shouldn't return next year.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 54

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
    I thought Cyclone Alley would be a great addition to the arena. I was wrong. Cyclone Alley does not add to the atmosphere and has been a dismal failure. If anything, it has taken away from it. It has been given a number of years to work out the kinks/improve. It has not and the experiment has failed. It shouldn't return next year.

It is never too late to correct a mistake.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 95

One thing I noticed last night, was that when the crowd really got after it, Mizzou either hit a big shot, or we screwed up.

I've seen it a lot in the past few years where it almost seems like the louder we yell, the better our opponents play. That's started to change in football, but its been alive and well in basketball since Morgan's last year.

We've had more than a few times where the crowd was there, primed, loud, and ready to explode but the team let them down. That happened some last night.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.