Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 147

Twister Sister Summary - Record 3rd straight loss

First half was all about turnovers, defensive breakdowns, and being beaten on the offensive boards. The turnovers were mostly unforced as the ladies traveled, made bad passes, etc. On one possession, KU would actually get 4 offensive rebounds! Turnovers just plagued ISU as they were in double digits halfway through the first stanza. Through all of this ISU hung around and hung around. Why? KU also had turnovers and ISU made them pay more often than not. The Sisters made moves here and there and tied, pulled with a hoop and then would turn the ball over and allow KU to score on the other end. This was not a sharply executed first half! Perhaps the best assist of the half was from Prins to Pop! The guards were really struggling, but believe me…the turnovers were on everyone. I know I felt like if ISU could only find some offense…protect the ball…they would literally run away with this game. With 7 minutes left KU had already taken 10 more shots than our ladies. Fortunately they weren't shooting a high percentage, but they were getting lots of chances. Guess who is still performing et a high level? Yep…Ms. Prins. Our bigs had every single one of our points at the 7 minute mark. Oh guards???? Where are you??? Then you add to the mix that that old free throw bugaboo keeps biting us. Big C had a chance to give us the lead with a 1-1 and missed the front end. KU promptly scored and it was 3 points again.

You could just feel that our team could or should be destroying this KU squad. Finally…since early in the game…a guard came through. The one player who I keep hoping will live up to the hype - Kelsey Harris - got a steal and hit a three to give ISU the first lead since being up 2-0. It was like this team all of a sudden shifted gears. We weren't hitting shots too much better, but defense and rebounding really stepped it up. It paid off as ISU held the lead at the half even though we just kept missing free throws!! AARRRGGHHH!! OK, I got that off my chest, but wow ladies…practice these things! 24-18 ISU at the break after ISU finishes with a 9-0 run.

Amazing stat of the first half. ISU had double digit turnovers and KU only converted those into 4 points. Talk about dodging the bullet!!

Player of the first half? Anna Prins AND Pop. They are a VERY nice compliment to each other when they are both being scoring threats. Prins has really stepped up her game since New Hampshire.

Let me say one thing…the officials in the Big 12 stink. Period. They won't call the rough stuff. On anyone.

Second half started off ok…a bit scary as KU scored right away, but ISU was getting boards and bless her little heart, Moody hit two free throws! KU made a move though as ISU would miss and they didn't. Yet, every time KU made a push early our ladies would strike back. Williamson hit a nice 3 (don't you love this young'in becoming a 3 threat?) to keep the ladies up by 7 at the first break. they would keep the pressure on and start stretching the lead to 40-29. I was beginning to think this team was finally learning to put the foot on the throat and squish when we had two straight turnovers that allowed KU to score.

Key moment - 11 left in the game and Davis, the leading scorer and the big girl for KU picked up her 4th foul. Pop would put both FT's through to make KU pay.

This was a half of spurts. It would be defense forcing turnovers and then it would be a little spurt of scoring followed by more turnovers. The consistent thing was that our inside game continued to work. The guard court continued to struggle at nearly everything they did. Moody had some nice assists and Loz had some critical rebounds, but offensively…they were pretty offensive. KU would continue to make a bit of a push as ISU turned the ball over 3 straight times and KU would convert to pull it within 5 at the 5:43 mark. The girls were really struggling at this point and Coach F. called a timeout to try to stem the tide. Too many bad possessions by our ladies. All of a sudden Prins' shots were coming up short and we weren't on the offensive boards. Ouch. Not good timing for this. For that matter we weren't on the defensive boards either. KU had another possession with three chances at the basket. Jayhawks would go on a 8-0 run to make things interesting.

Good hustle play of the half…Prins falls down and hands the ball to Pop for a score. ISU kept hanging on, but let KU get too many second chances. Heart stopper this game was. Fortunately KU, the best shooting team in the country (or one of) would miss a bunch tonight helping out our effort. We just kept making mistakes right back and helping them out! Wow. We just kept turning the ball over and over and over. 1:01 to go and it was a one point game. We were pressing too hard at this point. These are unforced errors people…horrible passes…mishandled balls.

There were 4 straight turnovers that simply…very simply…allowed KU into the game 1:00 to go. We forced too many things. We got a huge call out of bounds on KU and it came down to free throws by Loz with 28 seconds left. She would only make one and KU had the ball down by 2. They would tie it up with 16 seconds left. Again, those missed free throws will kill you. A final BAD possession and it was overtime. Believe me the emotions and edge were all with KU at this point.

Big stat of the second half. ISU only scored 5 points in the final 8 plus minutes of the half.

The OT started with another miss by Prins. That would be followed up by Davis (who was playing with those 4 fouls) hitting a hoop and a foul for the 3 point play. Moody would make her FIRST shot of the game to tie it up. Huge. Pop would follow with a lay in to give the lead back to ISU and Prins would get a strong rebound on the other end. Pop added two more free throws to extend the lead to 4. There was definitely fight in this team. Mistakes were still there, but they were fighting. Moody would score 60-56. We would turn it over AGAIN and KU would pull within 2. This was a nail biter. Amazingly Pop would get fouled with 1 sec on the shot clock to save ISU. Pop would MISS the first and fortunately there was a lane violation. She would redeem herself by making the next chance for a 3 point lead. Unfortunately, she missed the second and KU quickly scored. One point game and here are those free throws I keep harping about. It would be up to Moody as she was fouled with 9.4 left. First shot was good and ISU owned a 2 point lead. The second was good and ISU had that crucial 3 point lead 63-60. KU would get the ball in and hit a LONG 3 to tie it. Double OT. My heart didn't take this very well.

ISU would control the jump and would miss the first shot, but get the huge rebound, but we would turn the ball over again after Prins got shoved by KU. No calls. Refs sucked. KU scores and on the ensuing possession Prins fouled KU WHILE she had the ball in her hands. Amazing. KU would hit the first FT and take a 3 point lead. Prins would be fouled and missed TWO free throws. Can't say I told ya so. Darned free throws will kill ya. KU would score again and half way through the OT the sisters had yet to score. And we would miss again and put KU on the line. Again it was Davis…who would hit another pair of free throws. Prins would pull ISU within 5. Pop would hit a FT to pull within 4 and then down to 3 with a second make. KU would answer though and it was 5 again. We would miss, foul KU and ISU had lost another heartbreaker in Lawrence after leading by 12 in regulation. Amazing. 74-67. A real heartbreaker. And a record 3 straight losses to open the conference season.

Final big stat? 22 turnovers.
    Other final big stat? We made more free throws than KU attempted. We also missed way too many critical free throws when it really counted. This was a game where the misses cost us big time.

Another Big stat? Our bigs had 24 and 19 tonight. Great job Pop and Prins. Unfortunately they didn't have any help. Loz, Moody, Big C, Cole combined for 14 points.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Twister Sister Summary - Record 3rd straight loss

Tough loss for the ladies tonight.

Ever since Big 12 play started and Hallie has been playing the 3 spot, her offense has been minimal. I don't think she feels comfortable at this position, and she doesn't get as many shot attempts. They have experimented on and off with this lineup since she came to ISU and have never had much success. I think the coaching staff may have realized that it is not the most effective position for Hallie to be playing as they didn't play that lineup at all in the second half. I think she needs to get back under the basket again to get back into the flow of the game and to get her game back.

Another point I wanted to make was that I think the team needs to get up and down the floor faster. They have success when they run the floor as Pop (at least before the knee injury) and Hallie can beat any team's post players down the court, and I don't think they take advantage of this enough. Hallie's only two points tonight came off of a layup on a fast break.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 874
    Given: 607

Looks like free throws are screwing up our potential victories for men and women.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,059
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Looks like free throws are screwing up our potential victories for men and women.
    I've been dogging on the free throw shooting since the beginning of the season and said all along it would eventually cost us games. Wasn't the only reason last night, but it definitely contributed...heavily. Sometimes it's not how many you miss but when you miss them. We missed some critical free throws that would have won the game for us. The miss that would have put us up by 4 was the most glaring. Instead a 3 point shot tied it and sent it to overtime #2.

Starter
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

Hard to believe they let this one get away. Bet they can't believe it either.

Sounds like there were many opportunities to finish with a W.

Does anyone know if ISU put on an additional defensive pressure at the end of regulation or the first overtime? Any double teaming of Davis? Any press on KU inbounding the ball? Anything to confuse KU? If the offense is sputtering, then use defense to win.

Also for anyone watching, how is that Davis does not foul out? Did the refs look the other way? Did ISU run any plays to force her to foul? Pull her away from the basket and then take her to the basket? Just go to the basket aggressively against her?

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,059
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cydney View Post
    Hard to believe they let this one get away. Bet they can't believe it either.

Sounds like there were many opportunities to finish with a W.

Does anyone know if ISU put on an additional defensive pressure at the end of regulation or the first overtime? Any double teaming of Davis? Any press on KU inbounding the ball? Anything to confuse KU? If the offense is sputtering, then use defense to win.

Also for anyone watching, how is that Davis does not foul out? Did the refs look the other way? Did ISU run any plays to force her to foul? Pull her away from the basket and then take her to the basket? Just go to the basket aggressively against her?
    If I could ask coach one question it would be this...if a team is up by 3 with seconds left...would it not be better to foul someone and put them on the line for two versus letting them take a 3 point shot? If there is a rationale for not doing it I really would like to know. Seems like common sense to me.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 280
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    If I could ask coach one question it would be this...if a team is up by 3 with seconds left...would it not be better to foul someone and put them on the line for two versus letting them take a 3 point shot? If there is a rationale for not doing it I really would like to know. Seems like common sense to me.
    The worst that can happen is they tie if you let them get a three off. If you're up 3 and foul, they hit the first and get the board, they can tie or win. In either situation an additional foul can really be a killer as it gives the chance for a 4 or maybe even 5 point possession.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,001
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 163

Also why did we slow down the game when they started their run towards the end
    ? I heard Rich & Molly talking about how long it was taking us to get the ball into the front court(and it was not due to KU defense). It seems lie every time a team tries to slow down the game to protect they lose momentum and end up losing.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,001
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 163

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    The worst that can happen is they tie if you let them get a three off. If you're up 3 and foul, they hit the first and get the board, they can tie or win. In either situation an additional foul can really be a killer as it gives the chance for a 4 or maybe even 5 point possession.
    They can also miss the first free throw and we get the rebound then they have to foul so I would have first tried to force a turnover (on the inbound play) with a press and then if they got it in fouled and made them shoot free throws.

All-Star
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 4

We WNIT bound this year? I know we are hosting and the NCAA will do all they can to get us in the NCAA tourney for attendance purposes but will our record even be close enough to give the selection committee a shot to get us in?

All-Star
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 258
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 75

A number of fans at the game thought the same as we were taller than the Kansas players, and thought we could handle any rebounds on missed free thows.

A side note, according to the game program, this game isn't scheduled to be played until Saturday, Jan. 11th. so maybe a redo is in order. KU FLUNKS ON THE COURSE IN CALENDARS.

U of OWA ... HOME OF THE FERENTZ "LOW RENT" GRADUATES OF THE SCHOOL OF MORAL TURPITUDE ....THE LEADING UNIVERSITY of SELECTIVE ETHICS......PROUD TO BE ETHICS-FREE, INTEGRITY-FREE .
    NO INTEGRITY, NO "I" IN OWA
    CAN YOU TELL I LOVE THE U OF OWA

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,567
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41

Quote Originally Posted by BigJCy View Post
    We WNIT bound this year? I know we are hosting and the NCAA will do all they can to get us in the NCAA tourney for attendance purposes but will our record even be close enough to give the selection committee a shot to get us in?
    We are good enough to be an NCAA team, but there's not a lot of margin for error right now.

All-Star
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 777
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Funny (not) how the free throw shooting seems to be going south now that they have their own basketball practice digs. Must be spending more of their free time on the other niceties of the facility than practicing free throws.

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 35

Quote Originally Posted by mred View Post
    We are good enough to be an NCAA team, but there's not a lot of margin for error right now.
    Yeah, not much room for error. None of our 0-3 losses are "bad" losses, and our second half of conference play is a little easier.

If this team continues to build on their performances, they could get there.

The A&M game this weekend will be a close one. I think the team gets this one. A&M isn't a scoring machine, the key will be ball handling.

The toughest thing for ISU WBB this year, is no off nights. Right now, 9 of the 10 teams are in the tourney discussion.

Rookie
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

Quote Originally Posted by mred View Post
    I agree. Last night's loss stung. We need to pick up a few road wins to go with home wins. We had one last night but let it slip away.