Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Nice words from Bill Self

Said he thought ISU's preseason prediction was "way out of whack". He knew we were better than many thought.

- White is a really difficult matchup... especially when we have so many players that can "stretch it"
    - Has had teams that played against some of our transfers and knows how good those guys are
    - Thinks Fred has done a terrific job
    - Expects us to do very well in the B12 this year

This game Wednesday is huge. If we win, we'll have everyone's attention. We have to play with the same defensive intensity that we did at A&M. MU is really kind of a mirror of our team. The wildcard is White. They don't have anyone to matchup with him.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 351
    Given: 1,392

Re: Nice words from Bill Self

Quote Originally Posted by HuddleUp View Post
    MU is really kind of a mirror of our team. The wildcard is White. They don't have anyone to matchup with him.

Uhh, what? MU is vastly different than us. They have 4 stud guards on the floor at all times, with their best 3 point shooter having to play the 4 because of a lack of depth. Denmon and the Pressey bro's will eat our guard's lunch defensively if we are not moving the ball quickly and precisely.

As far as matching up with White, Ratliff is a big boy(not that tall but big) but prone to foul trouble and is a decent low post scorer. The key the game will be getting him in foul trouble and keeping their guards from lighting up the 3 ball.

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post

Uhh, what? MU is vastly different than us. They have 4 stud guards on the floor at all times, with their best 3 point shooter having to play the 4 because of a lack of depth. Denmon and the Pressey bro's will eat our guard's lunch defensively if we are not moving the ball quickly and precisely.

As far as matching up with White, Ratliff is a big boy(not that tall but big) but prone to foul trouble and is a decent low post scorer. The key the game will be getting him in foul trouble and keeping their guards from lighting up the 3 ball.
    This. We need to use Royce to take their bigs out of the game and expose their lack of depth.

We'll also need to bring the same defensive intensity we showed in the last 2 games.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 531
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 253
    Given: 356

I really dislike KU. Especially the "K-ay-ay-ay-U-U" chant they do incessantly. I do like Bill Self though. Much more than Roy Williams who is a snake.

“Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun.”
    Alan Wilson Watts

Pro
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by RayShimley View Post
    This. We need to use Royce to take their bigs out of the game and expose their lack of depth.

We'll also need to bring the same defensive intensity we showed in the last 2 games.

And by lack of depth you mean the fact that they only have 7 scholarship players that are eligible right now?

Starter
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm referring to style of play. They spread the floor and rely on perimeter shooting. Just like we do. They have virtually no post scoring. If their shots aren't falling, they are in trouble. Just like us. Ratliff is half the athlete that White is. He doesn't have the quickness to guard him on the perimeter. Saturday's game, other than Old Dominion, was their first road game they played.

You say 4 stud guards. They got exposed Saturday by a much tougher KSU team that was in their face the entire game. KSU's defensive pressure pushed them so far out, they were forced to start their offense near half court with 10 seconds left on the sot clock. English is streaky. Pressey tends to play out of control. Dixon and Denmon are very good. If we lose, they will be the reason.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by pyrocyz View Post
    And by lack of depth you mean the fact that they only have 7 scholarship players that are eligible right now?
    More that their only serviceable big man behind Ratliffe is a frosh who's averaging 3 ppg.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,075
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 8

Bill Self has always been very complimentary of Iowa State, and always refers to Hilton as a very tough place to play, I have no problem with Bill Self and this year is an example of why he is a great coach, he doesn't have the talent that he's used too besides Robinson and all of the early season debacles with his new players and being ineligible he has handled that very well and look KU is yet again in the top 15, again..I just hate losing year after year to them, would love to get a W against them this year.

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 351
    Given: 1,392

Quote Originally Posted by HuddleUp View Post
    I'm referring to style of play. They spread the floor and rely on perimeter shooting. Just like we do. They have virtually no post scoring. If their shots aren't falling, they are in trouble. Just like us. Ratliff is half the athlete that White is. He doesn't have the quickness to guard him on the perimeter. Saturday's game, other than Old Dominion, was their first road game they played.

You say 4 stud guards. They got exposed Saturday by a much tougher KSU team that was in their face the entire game. KSU's defensive pressure pushed them so far out, they were forced to start their offense near half court with 10 seconds left on the sot clock. English is streaky. Pressey tends to play out of control. Dixon and Denmon are very good. If we lose, they will be the reason.
    OK, good post here I agree with basically everything you've said. The main problem IMO is that KSU plays very physical in your face defense that with the exception of maybe Babb, none of our guards know how to do. I fear that if we try to pressure them like KSU did, our guards will be getting beat all night.

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

OK, good post here I agree with basically everything you've said. The main problem IMO is that KSU plays very physical in your face defense that with the exception of maybe Babb, none of our guards know how to do. I fear that if we try to pressure them like KSU did, our guards will be getting beat all night.
    Babb and McGee, but otherwise I agree. Bubu also, but obviously he is out of the equation.

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Our defensive effort Saturday was the best I've seen in a long time. I don't remember a single fast break conversion. There were very few open looks. We helped on the perimeter and in the paint. McGee is a good defender. He helps too much at times and loses his guy, but he puts a lot of pressure on the ball. Allen looked better. Christopherson seemed a step quicker. I don't know. I saw a different defensive team on Saturday. I'll be curious to see if they follow it up against MU. If they do, I like our chances. Especially at home.

Starter
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 699
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by RayShimley View Post
    Babb and McGee, but otherwise I agree. Bubu also, but obviously he is out of the equation.
    Agree Babb and McGee and Bubu pretty much bring it every game and play tough D; the rest not so much.

All-Star
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 323
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 44

At one point during the 4th year of the Era of Dread (aka the McDermott years), Bill Self was very complimentary of the great job that ol' Chewy was doing. These are nice comments, but such comments seem to flow pretty freely from Self.

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by GoSTATE71 View Post
    Bill Self has always been very complimentary of Iowa State, and always refers to Hilton as a very tough place to play, I have no problem with Bill Self and this year is an example of why he is a great coach, he doesn't have the talent that he's used too besides Robinson and all of the early season debacles with his new players and being ineligible he has handled that very well and look KU is yet again in the top 15, again..I just hate losing year after year to them, would love to get a W against them this year.
    They have more talent than people think. Robinson could be a lottery pick. Withey is a 7 footer who would start on a lot of teams. Taylor would start on most teams in the country. Relaford was a top 10 recruit as a junior in high school. We apparently offered Teahan but he chose to stay close to home and walk on at KU. Johnson was 5 star out of Las Vegas. They may not be quite as talented this year, but they still have more talent than the majority of teams in college basketball.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 432
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 34

This game is going to require alot more defensive effort out of the guys. A&M had one & a half good shooters for us to cover. Mizzou has several to worry about. Good thing is we're much deeper than them, and I'm counting on the fact that our guards length will bother their shooters.