Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 33,725, Level: 56
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 525
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cloneteach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,257
    Points
    33,725
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 6

    Thoughts from New York

    Finally got a chance to sit down and record some of my thoughts from visiting New York for the Pinstripe Bowl. You can catch them here on my blog...

    Our Two "Sense"


    Visit our blog for all things ISU...

    www.ourtwosense.blogspot.com

  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 78,196, Level: 86
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 154
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago, Il
    Posts
    6,280
    Points
    78,196
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 15

    Re: Thoughts from New York

    Just curious where you from? Sounds like your first visit.

    To me, the most important observation you made is #3. I think a lot of people have this misconception about a big city, especially one like NYC. There are tons and tons of people who do not make much money (probably the majority), and they have to eat. Every big city has more inexpensive food than expensive, because again..MOST people actually don't make the money. You will always find cheap neighborhood places, that is actually good food. You just have to know where to look.

    You hit the nail on the head too with public transportation. If you live in a number of areas, you don't ever need a car. It's a waste of money. When I moved here to Chicago, I sold my car and it's completely fine. New York is the same with an even bigger public transportation system. It's amazing how much money frees up in that case.

    #7 - Most aren't actually New Yorkers - they are mostly tourists. Just like the Mag Mile here in Chicago or Hollywood Walk of Fame in LA, most people on there are Tourists..it's the same as in NYC and Times Square.

    #10 - I think there's only a few good Chicago style places to be honest (Giordano's is overrated as ****), but I kind of like NY Style better when it's good. Wood-fired Italian style with good crust wins over the two (and all pizzas) though :) To each their own though :D



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 33,725, Level: 56
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 525
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cloneteach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,257
    Points
    33,725
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 6

    Re: Thoughts from New York

    Quote Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
    Just curious where you from? Sounds like your first visit.

    To me, the most important observation you made is #3. I think a lot of people have this misconception about a big city, especially one like NYC. There are tons and tons of people who do not make much money (probably the majority), and they have to eat. Every big city has more inexpensive food than expensive, because again..MOST people actually don't make the money. You will always find cheap neighborhood places, that is actually good food. You just have to know where to look.

    You hit the nail on the head too with public transportation. If you live in a number of areas, you don't ever need a car. It's a waste of money. When I moved here to Chicago, I sold my car and it's completely fine. New York is the same with an even bigger public transportation system. It's amazing how much money frees up in that case.

    #7 - Most aren't actually New Yorkers - they are mostly tourists. Just like the Mag Mile here in Chicago or Hollywood Walk of Fame in LA, most people on there are Tourists..it's the same as in NYC and Times Square.

    #10 - I think there's only a few good Chicago style places to be honest (Giordano's is overrated as ****), but I kind of like NY Style better when it's good. Wood-fired Italian style with good crust wins over the two (and all pizzas) though :) To each their own though :D


    Thanks for the comments! I am from CR, IA. It was my first time to NY and it won't be my last. The only thing I was disappointed with was spending most of my time with other tourists doing touristy?? things. To be honest my favorite "chicago-style" pizza is from Zoeys in Marion, IA so I may be cheating a little bit


    Visit our blog for all things ISU...

    www.ourtwosense.blogspot.com

  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 78,196, Level: 86
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 154
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago, Il
    Posts
    6,280
    Points
    78,196
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 15

    Re: Thoughts from New York

    Quote Originally Posted by cloneteach View Post
    Thanks for the comments! I am from CR, IA. It was my first time to NY and it won't be my last. The only thing I was disappointed with was spending most of my time with other tourists doing touristy?? things. To be honest my favorite "chicago-style" pizza is from Zoeys in Marion, IA so I may be cheating a little bit
    Cool. NYC is an awesome place (for the most part). My mom and her side, and half of my dad's side is from there, so maybe I'm a bit biased (hah).

    Yeah, a lot of the things that are advertised to do are generally the more touristy ones, for a variety of reasons..some of them have to do with a Tourism Board really hyping certain things/places. Not to say they're bad, but yeah..there will be that. Just like here in Chicago when people say to get Chicago style, it's always the same places, even though some places are better or real good. In a way for the residents it's good. For example, I'm about a block or block and a half from Michigan Avenue, and there's good stuff near me, but tourists haven't figured it out and I"m kind of glad, because it's not PACKED. I'm pretty sure it's the same in NYC in certain places. More good local places, that locals are glad the droves of tourists haven't figured out yet.

    Next time you go, try to find some locals who know a lot about all over the city and random suggestions for things to see, or one-of-a-kind shops to visit, restaurants, etc.


    Funny about the pizza :D



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 90,937, Level: 93
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 313
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    CRcyclone6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    5,303
    Points
    90,937
    Level
    93
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 782

    Re: Thoughts from New York

    [QUOTE=cloneteach;2610436]
    Quote Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
    Just curious where you from? Sounds like your first visit.To me, the most important observation you made is #3. I think a lot of people have this misconception about a big city, especially one like NYC. There are tons and tons of people who do not make much money (probably the majority), and they have to eat. Every big city has more inexpensive food than expensive, because again..MOST people actually don't make the money. You will always find cheap neighborhood places, that is actually good food. You just have to know where to look.You hit the nail on the head too with public transportation. If you live in a number of areas, you don't ever need a car. It's a waste of money. When I moved here to Chicago, I sold my car and it's completely fine. New York is the same with an even bigger public transportation system. It's amazing how much money frees up in that case.#7 - Most aren't actually New Yorkers - they are mostly tourists. Just like the Mag Mile here in Chicago or Hollywood Walk of Fame in LA, most people on there are Tourists..it's the same as in NYC and Times Square.#10 - I think there's only a few good Chicago style places to be honest (Giordano's is overrated as ****), but I kind of like NY Style better when it's good. Wood-fired Italian style with good crust wins over the two (and all pizzas) though :) To each their own though :D
    Thanks for the comments! I am from CR, IA. It was my first time to NY and it won't be my last. The only thing I was disappointed with was spending most of my time with other tourists doing touristy?? things. To be honest my favorite

    zoeys is great pizza!



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 77,373, Level: 86
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 977
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    TheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,112
    Points
    77,373
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 14

    Re: Thoughts from New York

    Nice little write up there cloneteach.
    I agree with most of what you said.


    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Excessive intake of alcohol, we all know, kills brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 116,238, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Cycsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,235
    Points
    116,238
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 370
    Given: 302

    Re: Thoughts from New York

    Quote Originally Posted by cloneteach View Post
    Finally got a chance to sit down and record some of my thoughts from visiting New York for the Pinstripe Bowl. You can catch them here on my blog...

    Our Two "Sense"


    Glad to hear your perspectives. I think New York was so much better than most people were expecting. Especially with the weather, it turned into a fantastic opportunity.

    P.S. The Pep Rally and Spirit Walk were also extremely cool.



  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 97,628, Level: 97
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,422
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,757
    Points
    97,628
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 14

    Re: Thoughts from New York

    We were kind of in the same situation that that you were in.....none of us had been to New York before. My 63 year old Dad said that if he had visited when he was young, he could have seen himself moving there.

    We did the tourist stuff too and that was fun, but it was kind of sad knowing just how much we had missed in our 4 days.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 254,416, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cydkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    15,508
    Points
    254,416
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 460
    Given: 399

    Re: Thoughts from New York

    Quote Originally Posted by cloneteach View Post
    Thanks for the comments! I am from CR, IA. It was my first time to NY and it won't be my last. The only thing I was disappointed with was spending most of my time with other tourists doing touristy?? things. To be honest my favorite "chicago-style" pizza is from Zoeys in Marion, IA so I may be cheating a little bit
    Zoeys = tremendous



  10. #10
    Prospect
    Points: 1,945, Level: 12
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 205
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    WDM
    Posts
    49
    Points
    1,945
    Level
    12
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Thoughts from New York

    Next time get away from the tourist areas. We took a Saturday morning walk down the High Line Park in September and it dumped us off in Chelsea, had lunch, then walked back toward midtown. It was nice to get off the main path and into different areas of the Manhattan. Places like Times Square, Rock Center, etc. were much busier during the bowl trip than they were in the fall. We couldn't get through Rock Center this trip, but had no problem in Sept. I'd bet there we 10x more people in December.

    I always vowed never to go to Gotham, but will probably put it into the vacation rotation every year or two. I really want to go to the US Open sometime and actually catch a Yankees game.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 116,238, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Cycsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,235
    Points
    116,238
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 370
    Given: 302

    Re: Thoughts from New York

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUSammu View Post
    Next time get away from the tourist areas. We took a Saturday morning walk down the High Line Park in September and it dumped us off in Chelsea, had lunch, then walked back toward midtown. It was nice to get off the main path and into different areas of the Manhattan. Places like Times Square, Rock Center, etc. were much busier during the bowl trip than they were in the fall. We couldn't get through Rock Center this trip, but had no problem in Sept. I'd bet there we 10x more people in December.

    I always vowed never to go to Gotham, but will probably put it into the vacation rotation every year or two. I really want to go to the US Open sometime and actually catch a Yankees game.


    We hung around Times Square, but then about 9pm, we got on a train and went down to 34th Street (Herald Square, Macy's, Empire State Building) and found all sorts of New Yorkers outside having a great time. It felt much more like an authentic local New Year's Eve experience.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 114,235, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Cybyassociation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,945
    Points
    114,235
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 46

    Re: Thoughts from New York

    My uncle and I went to a concert at MSG while we were out there. After the show we went wandering for food and mistakenly and unknowingly ended up in Times Square. We didnt know we were there because there was no one there. It was between 12 and 1 am but there was literally no one there. It was really strange.

    Also, my brothers girlfriend is from the Chicago area and she refused to eat Zoey's because she thinks Chicago pizza is the best "Chicago-style" pizza and she didnt want Zoeys to ruin that notion. Zoey's is top of my list as far as any Pizza I've ever had. Pagliai's is a close second and Pasquale's frozen pizza in 3rd.


    Last edited by Cybyassociation; 01-09-2012 at 09:47 AM.

  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 29,891, Level: 53
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 959
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,027
    Points
    29,891
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 5

    Re: Thoughts from New York

    I love visiting NYC. Greatest city in the US.

    I had friends who lived in Brooklyn and I would go to NYC a couple times a year to visit. We didn't make a lot of money at the time (still don't actually) but we always found something to do. The art museums are really cool.

    Williamsburg, by the Bedford stop (I think is the stop) is a really neat area. Lots of people way cooler than me. The Brooklyn Brewery is right there, a bunch of restaurants and live music venues.

    John's pizza on Bleecker street is the best pizza in NYC. Overall, I think Chicago has better food though.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM