Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 39

Re: MESS named OC

Quote Originally Posted by ISUbaseball View Post
    I'm just not a huge fan of this hire. To me it just reeks of "nobody else was interested". Just disappointing with the increase in assistant money we have seen. Hope I'm wrong though.
    You don't think there would be candidates interested in a BCS level coordinator job under a coach like Paul Rhoads? OK.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by cykadelic2 View Post
    Pinkel's offensive production went up when he got a pass/run QB in Chase Daniel for their spread offense that Daniel had run since middle school. Brad Smith couldn't pass out of it.
    Chase Daniel didn't start at MU until 2006, Pinkel's 6th year. Pinkel's offensive production went up significantly in his 2nd year.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    Chase Daniel didn't start at MU until 2006, Pinkel's 6th year. Pinkel's offensive production went up significantly in his 2nd year.
    Are you going to acknowledge the defense in the North Division was pitiful and the conference as a whole was nowhere approaching what it is now or are you going to just ignore that?

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,058
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 6

I like the hire and I like that he will be the QB coach. I know a lot of you guys like to jump all over the WRs for the offensive output, and they did drop a lot of passes, but there were also a lot of times when a receiver was running wide open and the QB didn't see them or throw a horrible pass. Mess has done a great job at every postion he has coached for ISU, and I hope he can raise the level of QB play.

Starter
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 254
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    Sexier hire...

A) Gene Chizik
    B) Paul Rhoads
    This says it all.

Go Cyclones!

Starter
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 792
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Clones21 View Post
    Can he be any worse than Herman? I liked Herman, but if Mess can come in and call a better game i'm up for it.
    This is really the key. We know that Mess knows the system and the players. We know, based on Rhoads' past comments, that he is regarded as one of the best teachers on the staff. We know that there is a high probability that he could show long-term loyalty to the program if given the opportunity.

What we don't know is if he he can call a good game. Can he read and react and push all the right buttons in the heat of the battle? Rhoads undoubtedly knows Mess' offensive philosophies and is confident that he can.

There aren't a lot of unknown variables with this hire, but from a fan's perspective, this is a big one that will make the wait until next season even harder to bear.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    Yeah in a ****** division of a mediocre conference. We win 8 games back then too.
    I doubt it. The North division wasn't that bad, and would be far more mediocre in 2005and 2006.

OU 12-2
    KSU 11-4
    UT 10-3
    NU 10-3
    OSU 9-4
    MU 8-5
    TT 8-5

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Pro
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,369
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

I'm sorry but did anyone on here recognize how young our offense was this year? I mean really, our QB was a FRESHMAN...our center and line general was a FRESHMAN...we lost our #1 running back in game 4...all our backs are underclassman...our 2 deeps are filled to the brim with FRESHMAN and sophmores..our most talented/athletic WR's were FRESHMAN or first year players (Horne/West)...our best OL (KO) played hurt for a majority of the year. By all acounts the best QB in the program, Sam Richardson, redshirted and will make a very good QB when given the chance.

I mean are you people for real? People are on here complaining about our offense like it was full of a bunch of RS Seniors...

ISU's offense is poised to do great things in the next 2-3 years and coach Mess is stepping into a great sitiuation. A situation that Tom Herman created...a good one. CPR see's this even though it's obvious many on this board do not. Our offense is in very good shape for the future and saying otherwise is foolish.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    I doubt it. The North division wasn't that bad, and would be far more mediocre in 2005and 2006.

OU 12-2
    KSU 11-4
    UT 10-3
    NU 10-3
    OSU 9-4
    MU 8-5
    TT 8-5
    I would be anxious to know which rotation the north teams were on. My guess is that they were on the Baylor, aTm, OSU rotation.

Or so I have read.

Pro
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,024
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWarning View Post
    This. ^^

I hope with Herman's departure, Messingham wasn't already given increased responsibility for the bowl game behind the scenes, because that was a turd of an offensive game plan.
    I somewhat disagree. If you look at our first 2 drives we moved the ball and had an effective game going. Both 40+ yards

We just did not stick with it.

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I kept trying to deny what I have been seeing during the last couple years with our fan base, but I can no longer deny what my eyes see so clearly.

We have become what I have hated so much. We have become like hawkeye fans. Not true you say how could you profane Cy in such a way?

Hawk fans:
    • Forget the success at the first sign of a loss and jump on the coach before the game is even over. - hmmm sounds like a CF game day thread.
    • Think they are better play callers and better personnel managers than every coach they have - check read CF threads after Rutgers game, CF threads during losing streak on Wally, yeah and all the MBB threads.
    • Are smarter than their head coach and know which assistant coaches should be kept, fired, promoted. - check - see this thread.
    • Go on other teams message boards and talk down to opposing fans - yep more than a few are polluting our opponents sites.
    • Rave about a recruit, complain the coaches aren't playing him, then jump off the band wagon the first game that he struggles in only to jump back on then off, then on, then off, then why the hell did we recruit him...Wait didn't you talk smack about him as part of your recruiting class. Yep see Austin Arnaud, Jared Barnett, Chris Allen, Royce White, etc. etc. etc.

It pains me to say it, but if I was color blind I could no longer tell the difference between a Hawkeye fan and a Cyclone fan.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" - Winston Churchill

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 977
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 10

Just a hunch: in the 3 years since arriving here Rhoads probably formed some new opinions on what kind of offense it will take for us to be successfull here. He and Mess must be on the same page on how to make that happen.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46

Quote Originally Posted by JCloned View Post
    I kept trying to deny what I have been seeing during the last couple years with our fan base, but I can no longer deny what my eyes see so clearly.

We have become what I have hated so much. We have become like hawkeye fans. Not true you say how could you profane Cy in such a way?

Hawk fans:
    • Forget the success at the first sign of a loss and jump on the coach before the game is even over. - hmmm sounds like a CF game day thread.
    • Think they are better play callers and better personnel managers than every coach they have - check read CF threads after Rutgers game, CF threads during losing streak on Wally, yeah and all the MBB threads.
    • Are smarter than their head coach and know which assistant coaches should be kept, fired, promoted. - check - see this thread.
    • Go on other teams message boards and talk down to opposing fans - yep more than a few are polluting our opponents sites.
    • Rave about a recruit, complain the coaches aren't playing him, then jump off the band wagon the first game that he struggles in only to jump back on then off, then on, then off, then why the hell did we recruit him...Wait didn't you talk smack about him as part of your recruiting class. Yep see Austin Arnaud, Jared Barnett, Chris Allen, Royce White, etc. etc. etc.

It pains me to say it, but if I was color blind I could no longer tell the difference between a Hawkeye fan and a Cyclone fan.
    Why the heck do people always bring up the Hawks in every thread?

NOBODY CARES!

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JCloned View Post

Hawk fans:

It's a message board.

Or so I have read.

Addict
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 194

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWarning View Post
    This. ^^

I hope with Herman's departure, Messingham wasn't already given increased responsibility for the bowl game behind the scenes, because that was a turd of an offensive game plan.

I read lots of folks saying things about our game plan and play calling. However, I don't hear specifics. I think we mostly struggled executing on offense with a game plan that was pretty good, but there was only so much we could do against their linemen and LB speed, particularly with all their double blitzing.

So, give me some specifics:

1. What do you think our game plan was and what do you think it should have been? I'm assuming that you are concerned about offense, because we seemed pretty good on defense and special teams.

2. What plays should we have not called? Or what plays should we have called instead?

3. What adjustments would you have made? For instance, do you think that putting Jantz in was part of the game plan if Barnett struggled?

While there may be issues at the game plan level and I have thought about my own answers to these questions, I have also concluded that our gameplan was good enough to win if we executed better on the big plays.

For instance, if Reynolds turns out instead of in on the second pass to him in the endzone, it is a TD. If he makes the easy catch across the middle and breaks a tackle for a few yards, we don't go 3-and-out when we were within 7 and had the momentum in the middle of the 4th quarter. If Reeves had timed his jump a little better (or if Rutgers had thrown more of a straight ball rather than one that arced so high), that could have been an interception or a knock down rather than a TD. Coleman didn't outjump or outreach him, but caught it almost flat-footed just above his waist (and it should be noted that we broke up this same play twice, including once near the endzone). If we didn't hold on West's kickoff return (as if he needs a hold to pop free), we might have had the lead at halftime.

When you combine what we did against a well-designed defensive game plan by Rutgers with what we didn't do in terms of offensive execution, I think you can see the margin of defeat. I left the game feeling like we didn't play our best and guys like Woody said so in interviews. However, we were still in the game at the midpoint of the 4th quarter and we were just a few big plays away from the win, regardless of what you think of the game plan and play calling.

So, armchair coaches, don't just complain, tell us what you would have done differently.

Last edited by Cycsk; 01-04-2012 at 02:04 PM.