Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

***WBB Gameday: ISU @ Oklahoma***

Well folks here we go! A BIG time week ahead. The much anticipated start of the Big 12 season which will effectively determine our NCAA seed/hopes of hosting 1st-2nd round games. Got to win at home and steal a few on the road. A marathon not a sprint -- 18 games. I think OU is very winnable for us. We only lost by 3 last year. RPI has us losing but I think we're a good matchup for OU and our post play is superior. I think Bill will have the team rallied tighter than ever and they'll be inspired -- and Brynn will rise to the occasion. Excited for this to start!

All-Star
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 813
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

Re: ***WBB Gameday: ISU @ Oklahoma***

Get em!

Pro
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 665
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 97

The players had a players-only meeting yesterday just to air their feelings and decided to move on. Let's win this game, Ladies !

All-Star
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 690
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 13

11 games in and we still don't know. OU is a good test - wish it were on a neutral court - we haven't won at Lloyd Noble since '01. OU, I think, has lost strength in the post; I think Poppens and Christofferson are better than McFarland and Griffin. If Griffin's height gives us trouble, Anna may have to step up. Most of OU's scoring is the three guards - Ellenberg, Hand and Hook. Ellenberg, 5-7 so. g. scores 18 ppg. Not sure who will defend her - Cole is an obvious choice, but, she is not starting. For Cole to play the posts will have to score more. Hand, the pg, hits 11 ppg and at 6-1" might be a bit much for Moody, though I've been impressed with Moody's defense of taller players. Hook, the 3rd guard makes 13 ppg so we can't leave anyone alone and there will be no help.

Strength on strength - our fg% defense is one of the best at 33% and OU's fg% is one of the best at 45%. Our man D in the second half of Buffalo was impressve - our zone in the first half was not.

The outcome could be influenced by secondary stats which yield possessions and scoring opportunities. OU turns it over more than we do and we should beat them on the boards.

“We’ve got a pretty good football conference, and we’ve got a pretty good conference overall. We’re still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that.” Paul Rhoads

Pro
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 342
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 35

Quote Originally Posted by BenEClone View Post
    11 games in and we still don't know. OU is a good test - wish it were on a neutral court - we haven't won at Lloyd Noble since '01. OU, I think, has lost strength in the post; I think Poppens and Christofferson are better than McFarland and Griffin. If Griffin's height gives us trouble, Anna may have to step up. Most of OU's scoring is the three guards - Ellenberg, Hand and Hook. Ellenberg, 5-7 so. g. scores 18 ppg. Not sure who will defend her - Cole is an obvious choice, but, she is not starting. For Cole to play the posts will have to score more. Hand, the pg, hits 11 ppg and at 6-1" might be a bit much for Moody, though I've been impressed with Moody's defense of taller players. Hook, the 3rd guard makes 13 ppg so we can't leave anyone alone and there will be no help.

Strength on strength - our fg% defense is one of the best at 33% and OU's fg% is one of the best at 45%. Our man D in the second half of Buffalo was impressve - our zone in the first half was not.

The outcome could be influenced by secondary stats which yield possessions and scoring opportunities. OU turns it over more than we do and we should beat them on the boards.
    Yeah, I think our young players are just too new to BF's match up zone defense to play it well. In the presser he said they had only really done much of it in practice, but wanted to try zone to protect Pop some.

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 130

I had posted earlier in a preview of the game that this one will come down to defending the perimeter and free throw shooting. They will foul us and we have to convert.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 208
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 0

we haven't won at Lloyd Noble since '01.
    Was that the game we blew the huge lead and Taylor hit a buzzer beater?

EDIT: Yes it was. We completely lost an 18-point lead in the last 5 minutes or so. With the game tied, Taylor hit a jumper at the buzzer to win the game.

EDIT 2: Found an article on that game. ISU was up 77-59 with 6:13 left. Oklahoma scored 20 straight points to take a 79-77 lead with 1:32 left. That's 20 straight in a 4:41 span. Wilson hit a pair of FT to stop the bleeding and tie the game, and Taylor hit the game-winner at the buzzer for an 81-79 final.

Last edited by mred; 01-04-2012 at 12:43 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 130

Quote Originally Posted by mred View Post
    Was that the game we blew the huge lead and Taylor hit a buzzer beater?

EDIT: Yes it was. We completely lost an 18-point lead in the last 5 minutes or so. With the game tied, Taylor hit a jumper at the buzzer to win the game.

EDIT 2: Found an article on that game. ISU was up 77-59 with 6:13 left. Oklahoma scored 20 straight points to take a 79-77 lead with 1:32 left. That's 20 straight in a 4:41 span. Wilson hit a pair of FT to stop the bleeding and tie the game, and Taylor hit the game-winner at the buzzer for an 81-79 final.
    Taylor had a habit of doing that. Remember the home game versus Texas where she hit a VERY long 3 pointer at the buzzer to win? Amazing young lady.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

For those of you interested, there is a webcast of the game tonight on CBS All-Access. I usually buy it for 2-3 months, and catch 4 or 5 games on it.

It's like $14.95 a month.

The broadcast is not as good of quality as clone zone, unless it has changed since last year.

A lot of the other big 12 schools use it.

Pro
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 515
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 27

We'll be at the MBB tonight with my "old slow" phone. If someone can provide at least periodic updates, I'd appreciate it. m.ESPN.com has a habit of being behind and incorrect.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119

Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post
    For those of you interested, there is a webcast of the game tonight on CBS All-Access. I usually buy it for 2-3 months, and catch 4 or 5 games on it. It's like $14.95 a month.
    Also on FullCourt (723) and ESPN3.com

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    Also on FullCourt (723) and ESPN3.com
    wow, how did you find that. It is listed on ESPN3, but not on either ISU or OU website, which are both usually pretty good about that.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119

Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post
    wow, how did you find that. It is listed on ESPN3, but not on either ISU or OU website, which are both usually pretty good about that.
    Tweeted by CycloneWBB.

It seems like Oklahoma women's hoops has had several games on ESPN3 the past few years.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

"the shadow knows"

All-Star
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 690
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    I had posted earlier in a preview of the game that this one will come down to defending the perimeter and free throw shooting. They will foul us and we have to convert.
    Free throws - We're shooting 68% for the season (148/216) with a high of 80% (24/30) against New Hampshire. OU shoots 74% (128/171) and has sent their opponents to the line 213 times. We can expect a small margin in this category.

Buffalo guard Hedderson was averaging 18 ppg and got 9 pts in the first half against our zone. She got 3 in the second half against the man defense. Ellenberg is, no doubt, a better player, but, we should be able to slow her down.

“We’ve got a pretty good football conference, and we’ve got a pretty good conference overall. We’re still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that.” Paul Rhoads