Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

Sooner Network close to reality

to be carried in Oklahoma,Texas,Louisiana, Arkansas as part of the Fox Sports

Cable customers in Austin, Texas, donít have access to their hometown University of Texasí Longhorn Network.

But starting next fall, those Texas subscribers will be able to see plenty of the Longhornsí bitter rival through hours of University of Oklahoma-branded programming, thanks to a deal thatís close to being signed with Fox Sports.

Fox has agreed to carry at least 1,000 hours a year of Oklahoma programming on its FS Southwest and FS Oklahoma regional sports networks, which go to 8.6 million homes in Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas and, yes, Texas.

The programming will be branded in the name of the school ó something like the Sooner Network or Oklahoma Network ó and will feature third-tier TV rights, including at least one live football game, several menís and womenís basketball games and Olympic sports. Third-tier TV rights include live games that are not picked up by the Big 12ís primary network partners, ESPN and Fox.

While a Fox deal would not provide Oklahoma with a full 24-hour channel, it would give the school a fully distributed regional network on which to run its branded programming. This type of coverage is coveted by schools for its ability to broaden their fan base and recruiting base.

In addition to sports, the OU-branded programming block would include university events, such as commencements and guest speakers, and programming from departments other than athletics.

Sooners stake their claim on two Fox RSNs - SportsBusiness Daily | SportsBusiness Journal

=====================================================

Very similar to the Florida Gators package that nets them 8 million a year, my guess is it would be in the 5-8 million range

www.landthieves.com Al Gore's favorite invention

Pro
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 248

Re: Sooner Network close to reality

Didn't bother me in the least when Texas got one, will bother me even less if Oklahoma does as well.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,092
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 34

To me this is dumb. Why not team up with the rest of the Big 12 schools and get a member dedicated network. The divide amongst the conference will continue to grow with the 'everyone for themselves attitude.'

The remaining schools united would have had a great network not including Texas. I do not see how this ends well for the conference.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

Yippee! The greedy stupidity that has led this conference to brink of dissolution can continue.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 28

Quote Originally Posted by twojman View Post
    To me this is dumb. Why not team up with the rest of the Big 12 schools and get a member dedicated network. The divide amongst the conference will continue to grow with the 'everyone for themselves attitude.'

The remaining schools united would have had a great network not including Texas. I do not see how this ends well for the conference.
    There are 8760 hrs in a year. This is 1000 hrs of coverage for 3rd Tier rights to a limited audience. Who gives a rat's arse. I love the way the B12 lets schools do what they want with third tier.

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Quote Originally Posted by twojman View Post

Yeah, it doesn't make sense for the overall health of everyone in the conference, but it will keep OU happier. It's a Double-edged sword.

Good for OU though. Will the middle class of the conference now gone, I think this is the last you'll see of a school-supported network...although this deal with OU is VERY different than Texas' deal since its not a 24/7 channel. I suppose any other B12 school could make a similar deal with Fox Sports, but they're only going to get pennies on the dollar compared to Texas or OU.

Maybe I have the wrong attitude on this, but I don't care. Let them have their network. It's not what I'd like to see and its not what's best for the conference, but if it keeps them happy then so be it.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 368
    Given: 112

Good for you guys. I don't understand why so many people have a problem with this sort of thing. It's only a problem if certain members schools get bent out of shape about it, and I don't see anyone left at this table who is going to get butt hurt about this kind of thing.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Starter
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 712
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

my biggest and only real concern with the LHN was HS content. Texas is free to make its millions, its there right but the HS content was bunk and im glad its banned

www.landthieves.com Al Gore's favorite invention

Pro
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 248

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    my biggest and only real concern with the LHN was HS content. Texas is free to make its millions, its there right but the HS content was bunk and im glad its banned
    Which was really dumb and over blown by the way. Not saying you yourself are a stupid person, just the idea of showing some HS games in Texas as the straw that broke the back was ridiculous.

The idea that it was going to give Texas a recruiting advantage is laughable at best. Here's a hint, their recruiting advantage is being ******* Texas.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 368
    Given: 112

Does anyone think that ISU/KU/KSU/OSU/TTU/Baylor/TCU/WVU are going to flip **** over this?

There are two sides in every fight, but the schools that left, with the exception of CU, were just as much of a problem as the ones that get looked upon as greedy and manipulative.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

All-Star
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 638
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Yeah, this is pretty much a non-event. I'm guessing $5mil a year on the high end, with $3mil a year more likely. Sooners may brag about this being shown in Texas, but when your largest distribution area hates the content, it's not going to be worth much.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 4

Thank god! Oklahoma fans were demanding womens basketball games televised and finally now they have it!!!!

Yeah, I don't care if OU makes more money, so they have gold plated toilets while ours are still normal. Big deal. Maybe they have some hyperbaric chamber so Landry Jones can sit in it after a game or something. Another 20M isn't helping them any. They can still only play 11 guys, and it's not like getting a network means they can recruit Aliens that at 8 feet tall and can run 3.0 forty yards dashes.

It is a double edged sword though. My guess is this type of stuff ruins college athletics as we know it. But it is the only path we have right now.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,394
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 130

Personally I don't see the big deal. Its not like everyone in those states will be forced to watch it every night. I know if I had the channel I wouldn't watch it ever, hell I never watch the B1G network.

Follow this guy on Twitter @Daddy_Rusty

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    Good for you guys. I don't understand why so many people have a problem with this sort of thing. It's only a problem if certain members schools get bent out of shape about it, and I don't see anyone left at this table who is going to get butt hurt about this kind of thing.
    The problem that I have is that as a group the conference schools could pool their content and actually have enough programming to support a conference network. This would give the conference the leverage to get cable providers to carry the network across the conferences footprint. We would then be able to collect both cable fees and advertising revenue from that programming.

When everyone acts independently it is not possible to maximize the value and distribution of the conferences content, and that puts us at a competitive disadvantage to the conferences that do pool their content in order to maximize its value.

This conference struggles to achieve stability because the members put themselves before the conference.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by CYphyllis View Post
    Which was really dumb and over blown by the way. Not saying you yourself are a stupid person, just the idea of showing some HS games in Texas as the straw that broke the back was ridiculous.

The idea that it was going to give Texas a recruiting advantage is laughable at best. Here's a hint, their recruiting advantage is being ******* Texas.
    Its a slippery slope and I can understand people not wanting it. If you allow Texas to do it then OU can do it and the list goes on. If Iowa came up with something like this we all would be ticked.

I still think that OU would be smart by going in with all the other schools and creating a network. They would probably get more programming time that way too.