Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    CyBer

Things to do in Chicago.

So I'm taking the Girlfriend on a trip to Chicago, and she has never been there. I plan on taking her to the Field museum, but after that I have no idea. I've been there twice before and can't remember exactly what I did (just that it was fun). Any suggestions on places to eat/things to do?

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 80

Re: Things to do in Chicago.

Blue Man Group at the Briar Street Theatre.

Addict
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 323
    Given: 279

Quote Originally Posted by CyBer View Post
    So I'm taking the Girlfriend on a trip to Chicago, and she has never been there. I plan on taking her to the Field museum, but after that I have no idea. I've been there twice before and can't remember exactly what I did (just that it was fun). Any suggestions on places to eat/things to do?

The Field Museum is a good start, but criteria is needed to give you meaningful advice. Do you want fun? Fancy? Partying? How much are you willing to spend? Where are you staying? What kind of music do you like?

Starter
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 283
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 38

The restaurant and observation deck at the Hancock Tower. Much different view of the city than from the "Willis" Tower. Go at night when it's clear and get a drink at the lounge - spectacular views.

All people who make sweepingly generalized, stupid, uninformed comments are idiots.

(maybe)

CyBer

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    The Field Museum is a good start, but criteria is needed to give you meaningful advice. Do you want fun? Fancy? Partying? How much are you willing to spend? Where are you staying? What kind of music do you like?
    Fun mostly, I don't necessarily want to go to touristy places (though she want's to go to the bean and such). Not sure where I am staying exactly yet, but when I figure this out I will let you guys know.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 31

John Hancock Building, Museum of Science and Industry, Navy Pier, Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium, House of Blues, Walk up and down the "Magnificent Mile" on Michigan Ave., take a sight seeing tour to see where movies like the Dark Knight and Transformers 3 or a tour to see where gangsters like Al Capone used to hang out, Willis (Sears) Tower, Millennium Park to see "The Bean"

Depending on how long you are going for and what you like, these are just a few things to do. I went last March for 2 days and saw a lot, but we made a point to not sleep in or waste time so we could see as much as possible.

Where are you staying?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    I agree. We didn't choose Iowa State because it is easy. We chose Iowa State because it is awesome.
    Post from HawkeyeNation:

So frickin jealous of what they have in Ames. It's truly amazing what Fred has done coming in with 0 coaching experience.

Legend
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 763
    Given: 43

I've lived in Chicago for about 14 years of my life, my favorite thing about chicago besides going to cubs games is probably going to the Art Institute.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Buster28 View Post
    The restaurant and observation deck at the Hancock Tower. Much different view of the city than from the "Willis" Tower. Go at night when it's clear and get a drink at the lounge - spectacular views.

This. When we went, I planned on proposing that weekend, and we went to the Hancock Building the first night there. I wanted to do it then because it was so awesome, but I didn't want to do it that early in the trip (I wanted to go sightseeing and not stay in the hotel room all weekend).

I agree. We didn't choose Iowa State because it is easy. We chose Iowa State because it is awesome.
    Post from HawkeyeNation:

So frickin jealous of what they have in Ames. It's truly amazing what Fred has done coming in with 0 coaching experience.

Addict
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 80

Look into a tour. Here's one where you can hop on and off at any stop you want, so you don't have to drive around the city.

Chicago Trolley and Double Decker

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyBer View Post
    Fun mostly, I don't necessarily want to go to touristy places (though she want's to go to the bean and such). Not sure where I am staying exactly yet, but when I figure this out I will let you guys know.

The bean is way, way more cool than it sounds. If cold, you can also skate there.

The Signature Room at the top of the Hancock Building has a reasonably priced lunch buffet on weekdays that isn't going to be much more than the cost of going to the observatory. However, it is very expensive at night. Great views in all directions right on Lake Michigan.

I would also recommend getting 3-day bus passes so that you can get around cheaply and quickly (though not like a cab ride). You can also use subways to get around town, such as going up north to Wrigleyville. Wrigley Field is right on the train line. And lots of good clubs up there. Plenty downtown also.

Again, the more you give criteria, the better advice I can give.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by GMackey32 View Post
    This. When we went, I planned on proposing that weekend, and we went to the Hancock Building the first night there. I wanted to do it then because it was so awesome, but I didn't want to do it that early in the trip (I wanted to go sightseeing and not stay in the hotel room all weekend).

The only reason to go to the Willis (Sears) Tower is the acrylic box that allows you to stand outside the building and look straight down.

CyBer

The only reason to go to the Willis (Sears) Tower is the acrylic box that allows you to stand outside the building and look straight down.
    Yes I think she would like the clear boxes, but I'm not a huge fan of heights lol.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yeah, I thought it'd be cool to take a photo looking down in that thing. We walked from our hotel right across the street from the Hancock Building there, was told the line was 3.5 hours long, so then we walked all the way back. At least it was nice that day....

The Hancock Building > Willis Tower

Post from HawkeyeNation:

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by GMackey32 View Post
    Yeah, I thought it'd be cool to take a photo looking down in that thing. We walked from our hotel right across the street from the Hancock Building there, was told the line was 3.5 hours long, so then we walked all the way back. At least it was nice that day....

The Hancock Building > Willis Tower

And lots of great shopping and restaurants near the Hancock Building. Ditka's is about a block west. Classy place but not terribly expensive for breakfast or lunch. Of course, I prefer Mr G's dawg and burger on State Street. Order a #1 for $5. Tons of places in the blocks just west of the Hancock, including Loyola University's downtown campus. The best of Rush Street runs parallel just a few blocks west of Michigan Avenue. Note that these places are about two miles north of the bean, but it is a very cool walk past the Hard Rock Hotel, Chicago River, Wrigley Building, Tribune Building, Nike store, Apple store, the Water Tower, and Water Tower Place (beware of estrogen clouds as you walk past the American Girl Place).

Also check out 4th Presbyterian Church right across the street from Hancock and Holy Name Cathedral on State Street and Chicago Avenue.

CyBer

Thanks for the ideas people keep em coming.