Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 426
    Given: 181

OT: Receipt Checkers

I'm reading a poker board I frequent and stumble across an interesting thread that directly relates to a recent Wal-Mart experience. Here is the original post:

It really irks me when a store wants to search my bag and compare what I have purchased to my receipt. The first time it happened to me, my instinct from a high school business law class was that they had no right to do so. At some point, perhaps when Suited went to law school, I did some research and determined that I was right. I took ownership of the item at the cash register when I gave them my money. At that point, it was my possession and they lost any right to search it. Accordingly, I stopped allowing security people at the door to search my bags. Usually they ask "May I see your receipt, sir?" and I say "No, thanks" and keep walking. Most of the time, this is the end of it. Once in a while, I get into more of a dispute. Once at a Wal*Mart when I was headed out of the garden store, they were quite agitated and called for back-up. They briefly confronted me at my car, but when I presented their options as either arresting me and face a lawsuit or getting out of the way, they relented.

Last night I purchased a DVD box set of Dexter, Season One at Best Buy and declined the sales clerk's offer of a bag. On my way out the door the 12 year old guarding the exit told me "I'm going to need to see your receipt." I told him he was going to go home disappointed. This was apparently not the response he was expecting. He called after me as I headed for the car a few times, but wasn't prepared to tackle me.

Does everyone else cooperate with this request? Will you be amused when my refusal results in some giant pain for me in the future?

I do let them check my stuff at Price Club, because I agreed to it when I joined, but it irks me a bit. I don't let them do it anywhere else.
    This caught my attention for 2 reasons: 1) I didn't know you did not have to let them search your stuff. 2) A similar situation recently happened to me at Wal-Mart. I bought a bunch of stuff and needed a gallon of milk. The checkout girl asked if I wanted my milk in a sack. I say no thanks, I can carry it. I get checked out and wheel my cart to the door only to be stopped by the 85 year old Wal-Mart greeter asking to see my receipt. This is roughly how the conversation went:

Guy: I can see your receipt?
    Me: I just checked out 10 feet over there with that girl
    Guy: Well I have to look at your receipt and check the items in your cart because you have something that is not in a sack.
    Me: The checkout lady ASKED me if I wanted it in a sack and I declined. If you need confirmation, go ask her.
    Guy: Sir can I see your receipt.
    Me: (Reluctantly hands guy my receipt)
    Guy: (Starts sifting through my stuff)
    Me: Woah there, you said you just wanted to see my receipt.
    Guy: I need to check your items to make sure they are all accounted for on the receipt.
    Me: I thought you said you had to check the receipt for the milk not in a sack?
    Guy: I will but I'm checking your other items too.
    Me: Why don't you just have 20 greeters each standing at each checkout line watching over the checkout people making sure all of my items are accounted for.
    Guy: That doesn't make sense.
    Me: Neither does this. (And I walk out without my receipt. Guy makes no attempt to stop me or give me my receipt back)

I'm normally not one to complain about these types of things but this guy really ****** me off. Does anyone else NOT let them check your stuff or have a similar frustrating experience?

Addict
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,122
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 58

Re: OT: Receipt Checkers

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    I'm reading a poker board I frequent and stumble across an interesting thread that directly relates to a recent Wal-Mart experience. Here is the original post:

This caught my attention for 2 reasons: 1) I didn't know you did not have to let them search your stuff. 2) A similar situation recently happened to me at Wal-Mart. I bought a bunch of stuff and needed a gallon of milk. The checkout girl asked if I wanted my milk in a sack. I say no thanks, I can carry it. I get checked out and wheel my cart to the door only to be stopped by the 85 year old Wal-Mart greeter asking to see my receipt. This is roughly how the conversation went:

Guy: I can see your receipt?
    Me: I just checked out 10 feet over there with that girl
    Guy: Well I have to look at your receipt and check the items in your cart because you have something that is not in a sack.
    Me: The checkout lady ASKED me if I wanted it in a sack and I declined. If you need confirmation, go ask her.
    Guy: Sir can I see your receipt.
    Me: (Reluctantly hands guy my receipt)
    Guy: (Starts sifting through my stuff)
    Me: Woah there, you said you just wanted to see my receipt.
    Guy: I need to check your items to make sure they are all accounted for on the receipt.
    Me: I thought you said you had to check the receipt for the milk not in a sack?
    Guy: I will but I'm checking your other items too.
    Me: Why don't you just have 20 greeters each standing at each checkout line watching over the checkout people making sure all of my items are accounted for.
    Guy: That doesn't make sense.
    Me: Neither does this. (And I walk out without my receipt. Guy makes no attempt to stop me or give me my receipt back)

I'm normally not one to complain about these types of things but this guy really ****** me off. Does anyone else NOT let them check your stuff or have a similar frustrating experience?
    Nice article...didn't realize that I could refuse before. From this day forward, it's time for CF users to RISE UP!

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,043
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 16

It is a fairly easy fix, just always take a bag. I am not a big fan of the policy but if it helps keep theft down and thus my costs, I won't complain too much and will probably just keep complying with them.

"It is the nature of man to rise to greatness if greatness is expected of him."
    John Steinbeck

XBOXLive: MNclone
    PS3: JHudd23
    Twitter: JasonAH

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 110

The guy in the post you quoted just wants to be able to show other people up. Just show them the receipt real quick and be on your way. If you haven't stolen anything you have nothing to worry about.

And before anyone starts in with the whole "gee, that's the first step to having a gestapo" and "you like giving away your rights?" nonsense, to me, the receipt checkers are annoying, but they do serve a purpose. Its far different than having your rights stripped by police doing a search of your vehicle without probable cause.

All-Star
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 782
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

I had to go to Wal-Mart for EVERYTHING when I was living in Aspen. My first trip to that store was uneventful for me until I got home and saw on the news that a clerk had been murdered within an hour after I left that store. (he must have asked to see a customers receipt)

At any rate, I no longer go into a Wal Mart unless I absolutely have to. I go to Target now.

As frustrating as it seems, the store does have the right to verify your purchases and check your receipt.

Facebook Knows All
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cybone View Post

As frustrating as it seems, the store does have the right to verify your purchases and check your receipt.
    Actually they don't. Once you purchase the items they become legally yours.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 150

If you don't like stores that check your receipt and your bag, you could always shop at a store that doesn't have such a policy (when possible).

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Facebook Knows All
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    And before anyone starts in with the whole "gee, that's the first step to having a gestapo" and "you like giving away your rights?" nonsense, to me, the receipt checkers are annoying, but they do serve a purpose. Its far different than having your rights stripped by police doing a search of your vehicle without probable cause.
    What purpose do they serve? All Wal-Mart has to do is have 1 person stand around the registers making sure everyone who went through the checkout process does not go back into the store. Also, the guy won't check your stuff if you put everything into a bag. This is the dumbest part...if you are going to steal something, what are you more likely to do? Carry the item out in plain site or stuff it in your bag?

Also, what is the point of the theft sensors if this guy is going to go through all of your stuff you just purchased 30 seconds ago.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 758
    Given: 1,577

Here's a novel idea: don't shop at Walmart...

I never shop at Walmart and have never had anyone compare my receipt to my cart.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JHudd View Post
    It is a fairly easy fix, just always take a bag. I am not a big fan of the policy but if it helps keep theft down and thus my costs, I won't complain too much and will probably just keep complying with them.
    If Wal-Mart had SWAT teams working for free and reduced shoplifting to zero, you wouldn't see a nickel benefit from it.

In fact, they'd probably start charging you more for "excessive inventory".

It's like that campaign a few years back to stop pirating movies off the internet. They throw out the grip, the lighting guy, the sound guy, some schmo who paints backgrounds and parades them around like they're being put out of work. Bull. They're getting paid their $15/hr - no matter what. It's all about protecting corp profits. Not to say that there's anything acceptable about piracy. But at least don't lie about it.

BTW, when did Wal-Mart start checking receipts? I know SAMS did. Don't think I've ever been checked at Wal-mart, although I haven't been to one in just about forever.

- Just remembered, stopped at a Wal-Mart in Sturgis, MI on the way to the Toledo game. Public service message: Find someplace else - anyplace else - to stop other than Sturgis MI. But we weren't checked.

Last edited by DaddyMac; 10-05-2007 at 10:07 AM.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    Actually they don't. Once you purchase the items they become legally yours.
    I imagine they do have some recourse while on their property to check and make certain that you did in fact pay for everything your leaving with.

I agree with the overall sentiment. Don't like it, don't shop there.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 39

Just smile, say No and keep walking. I have done that a few times at walmart just because I want to be a *****. I hate that hell hole, and will never go back there anymore. Target has no such policy to check bags. I vote with my wallet.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 339
    Given: 240

Yeah, not a Wal-Mart shopper and we won't become shoppers there, even when one goes up in Grimes, 2 minutes from our house (yuk).

As far as the checking of items/receipt - eh, whatever. No sense in going out of my way to get into a dispute with someone, especially when in some cases, it will slow me down.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 39

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    As far as the checking of items/receipt - eh, whatever. No sense in going out of my way to get into a dispute with someone, especially when in some cases, it will slow me down.
    But the only way the company is going to get the idea that people do not like unreasonable searches is to say no, and make a big stink. I have no issues making a big stink at walmart. They have no right to search you.

We do get checked at Costco, but again, we agreed to that when we signed up.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 339
    Given: 240

I hear ya Brian.

Like you, I vote with my wallet and don't go to Wal-Mart.

At places like Best Buy, it's so quick - it's no big deal. And, I can't recall the last time I was even stopped there.

Then again, I don't go there often either.

Buying stuff online, gotta love it. For most other things, there is Target, Hy-Vee, Fareway or the dreaded mall.