Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 96

Why don't we have a point guard?

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum on this board ever since basketball season started, but due to my schedule I don't always have time to pore through every single thread, so I apologize for rehashing this when it has been talked about already, but why don't we have a true point guard this season?

Is it a matter of Sledge not being able to provide the minutes the coaching staff thought he might be able to? Is it a matter of the coaching staff believing that the skill sets of our respective combo guards made the need for a true point guard less of an issue than normal? It is a matter of McGee actually being more of a shooting or combo guard than a point guard? I seem to remember him being labeled as a point guard when he was recruited.

Whatever the reason is, even if it's a combination of everything listed above, that seems to me to be a big fail on the part of the coaching staff. I know it's only his 2nd year coaching, but Fred's smart enough of a guy and has been around basketball long enough to recognize the importance of having a primary ballhandler.

Again, my apologies for rehashing something that has been discussed.

"The fact that anybody can say anything does not mean that anything anybody says is worth hearing"

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 121
    Given: 0

Re: Why don't we have a point guard?

Quote Originally Posted by ISUChippewa View Post
    I know this has been discussed ad nauseum on this board ever since basketball season started, but due to my schedule I don't always have time to pore through every single thread, so I apologize for rehashing this when it has been talked about already, but why don't we have a true point guard this season?

Is it a matter of Sledge not being able to provide the minutes the coaching staff thought he might be able to? Is it a matter of the coaching staff believing that the skill sets of our respective combo guards made the need for a true point guard less of an issue than normal? It is a matter of McGee actually being more of a shooting or combo guard than a point guard? I seem to remember him being labeled as a point guard when he was recruited.

Whatever the reason is, even if it's a combination of everything listed above, that seems to me to be a big fail on the part of the coaching staff. I know it's only his 2nd year coaching, but Fred's smart enough of a guy and has been around basketball long enough to recognize the importance of having a primary ballhandler.

Again, my apologies for rehashing something that has been discussed.
    Poor recruiting job. Allen or McGee were supposed to be the starting PG, but neither one is a PG. Sledge was also supposed to provide minutes, but obviously he must not be as good as Hoiberg thought either or he'd be playing.

It was just a flat out miss on the recruiting front. McGee and Allen never were PG's, and never were going to be good PG's. I just hope we have one next year, or it will be another long year.

Last edited by clonedude; 01-01-2012 at 11:07 AM.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 41

The long, convoluted, semi-untrue version is that Mike Taylor got booted for stealing cough syrup, which forced Diante Garrett to play as a freshman and not redshirt, thus not having DG this year.

Pro
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 627
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 15

The answer to every one of the questions in this paragraph is "yes." It seems you have condensed every single PG issue into one paragraph - Are you sure you haven't seen any of the other threads?

Pro
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 627
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 15

Which I think is the reason why there was a lot more news about the recruitment of Naz Long with so little time before National Signing Day.

Pro
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,232
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 2

I think this is part of Fred's learning curve. I remember Lucious' interview saying coach wanted him to take the role that DG had last year and Allen would have this year. I think it's clear that PGs aren't made and if you look at our offer list tou'll see that PG is a priority.

Let Me Mayor Coach!

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,655
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Poor recruiting.

All-Star
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 468
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 7

DG should have been redshirted, but we do have a PG. Bubu. Kory L will be in there next year too.

Starter
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by tim_redd View Post
    The long, convoluted, semi-untrue version is that Mike Taylor got booted for stealing cough syrup, which forced Diante Garrett to play as a freshman and not redshirt, thus not having DG this year.
    It was a little more than just stealing cough syrup

Pro
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,232
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFine View Post
    DG should have been redshirted, but we do have a PG. Bubu. Kory L will be in there next year too.
    I suggested we redshirt DG last year and got ripped for it. CW even called me out in one of his articles.

Let Me Mayor Coach!

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 409
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38

Why do so many seem to assume that "recruiting" is just a matter of snapping your fingers and finding the right guy? it takes some time/effort/luck - neither of which fred had when he inherited a team with three players (two of whom were seniors).

fred did an admirable job in assembling as much talent as he could in a short time frame. i don't think he really specified "ok, i need this many PGs, this many SGs, etc." it was more like "OMG, the season starts in 6 months and I have three guys? get me any talented layer ASAP."

CA, Mcgee, and Sledge unfortuntately didn't work out as PGs. But we have more talent on the way, and if we can land some of the 2013 studs we're after I think we'll be just fine. Fred can really recruit, that i'm not worried about.

Sure Fred could've toned down expectations a bit this season. But I think he's just frankly surprised that 5th year seniors and experienced DI players who sat out a year aren't giving it their all.

All-Star
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

When Fred was in the front office of the T-wolves in 2009, they drafted 4 point guards in the same draft. He and the head GM took alot of crap for it so I think Freddy is trying to even things out by going without a PG for a few years.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 409
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38

Quote Originally Posted by arganbright2 View Post
    When Fred was in the front office of the T-wolves in 2009, they drafted 4 point guards in the same draft. He and the head GM took alot of crap for it so I think Freddy is trying to even things out by going without a PG for a few years.
    excellent point!

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,655
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Nobody said recruiting was easy. But coaching at ISU is a paid position --- a very well paid position. If you don't have the players you need, it's poor recruiting. Very simple cause and effect. Mostly by the previous staff --- different guys except for Otzelberger.

Quote Originally Posted by brokenloginagain View Post
    Why do so many seem to assume that "recruiting" is just a matter of snapping your fingers and finding the right guy? it takes some time/effort/luck - neither of which fred had when he inherited a team with three players (two of whom were seniors).

fred did an admirable job in assembling as much talent as he could in a short time frame. i don't think he really specified "ok, i need this many PGs, this many SGs, etc." it was more like "OMG, the season starts in 6 months and I have three guys? get me any talented layer ASAP."

CA, Mcgee, and Sledge unfortuntately didn't work out as PGs. But we have more talent on the way, and if we can land some of the 2013 studs we're after I think we'll be just fine. Fred can really recruit, that i'm not worried about.

Sure Fred could've toned down expectations a bit this season. But I think he's just frankly surprised that 5th year seniors and experienced DI players who sat out a year aren't giving it their all.

Starter
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 1

Fred's Learning Curve

In year 1/2 I think Fred tried to get the best talent he could- ignoring skill set. He brought in Allen, Babb, Lucious - also guys who are Big 12 starters or first guys off the bench.

When Fred originally signed McGee I remember reading that he was going to play PG during his sophomore year at JUCO. For whatever reason- either he lacked the skills to play PG, there was a better PG on the roster or his shooting was just too important, he didn't play PG. Combine that will Sledge not being ready to play and we have found ourselves in a bind at PG.

I think Fred is learning as he goes. The leason here might be how to build a roster:
    • IMO we have too many similar type guards- good shooter, but avg. ballhandlers.
    • Same goes for the post with White, Booker, Gibson & Railey. All physical kids, but nobody who plays above the rim.
    That said- if we had great effort on defense and guys weren't "me-first" when it comes to points -I don't think lack of a PG would be a big deal.

I was hoping with the lack of a dribble/drive PG on the roster that over the holiday break Fred would have looked at implementing a motion offense creating more ball movement, screens for shooters and inside shots through a passing game.