Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 11

iPod question

My daughter's new iPod touch won't take a charge. I'm a technical idiot. We've tried the dock, the wall charger and hooking it up to the PC. Anybody have any advice?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 796
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 16

Re: iPod question

Quote Originally Posted by ca4cy View Post
    My daughter's new iPod touch won't take a charge. I'm a technical idiot. We've tried the dock, the wall charger and hooking it up to the PC. Anybody have any advice?
    Well, it shouldn't be that hard, other than plugging it in to an active outlet and making sure you have a good cable.

If it is new, return it and get a different one.

Pro
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 512
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 105

Easy now, don't be so hard on yourself

In Fred We Trust

All-Star
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 719
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 9

Re:iPod question

You can try to restore your iPod to the original factory setting with iTunes to see if it is mechanical issue or application issue. My guess is you have a dead battery with your iPod. If its under warranty, you can get brand new one from apple store. Good luck!

Pro
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 470
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I hope this is a silly question, but are you using the bundled cables? Non-Apple gear doesn't work a lot of the time.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 248
    Given: 33

If it is not working with the standard cable plugged into the wall, take it back. Get a new one before you invest a lot of time in it and have a problem down the road.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

All-Star
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 834
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The docking station was not an Apple product, but the computer and wall cables were. I called tech support and they tried walking me through a few remedies, none of which worked. They offered to send me a box to send it back in and replace it, but they couldn't guarantee me they'd be sending a new one, and I didn't want a refurb. I took it back to Best Buy, and of course, they had none on hand. Supposed to have a replacement in on the 9th.

It will turn out fine, but I feel bad for my daughter. She's wanted one forever and when she finally gets one and has time to use it, it's crap. She took it really well though.....hasn't complained at all. I'm proud of her for that. If it's going to be a lemon, I'd much rather find out now.

Since we're on the topic, how long should I expect this thing to hold a charge? It seemed like she was constantly having to charge it for the short time that it did work. I chalked it up to her nearly constant use, but can I expect better when we get the new one?

Addict
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,801
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 120
    Given: 46

The docking station was not an Apple product, but the computer and wall cables were. I called tech support and they tried walking me through a few remedies, none of which worked. They offered to send me a box to send it back in and replace it, but they couldn't guarantee me they'd be sending a new one, and I didn't want a refurb. I took it back to Best Buy, and of course, they had none on hand. Supposed to have a replacement in on the 9th.

It will turn out fine, but I feel bad for my daughter. She's wanted one forever and when she finally gets one and has time to use it, it's crap. She took it really well though.....hasn't complained at all. I'm proud of her for that. If it's going to be a lemon, I'd much rather find out now.

Since we're on the topic, how long should I expect this thing to hold a charge? It seemed like she was constantly having to charge it for the short time that it did work. I chalked it up to her nearly constant use, but can I expect better when we get the new one?

It's all over the board, depending on what you are doing. Some of the games will burn the batter up really quick, within a couple of hours. Playing music though and watching movies, the battery should last most of the day. I can get a couple of days out of a charge if all I do is listen to music.

Tips: Don't power the unit down unless you are trying to get it to reset. Starting up takes more battery life than just letting it sit idle.

Use the button at the top to turn the screen off when you don't need the screen. This is huge for saving life.

Also, set the idle time low so that it will automatically go into idle mode (music still plays that's playing, but it makes sure to turn the light off)

Set the back light as low as you can and still see comfortably.

Turn off Bluetooth and Wi-fi when not in use. If you have the wi-fi on, it will search every few minutes for a new signal. Basically, anything you aren't using, location services, notifications, etc. to save battery life.

My guess is though, your battery probably wasn't up to snuff from the beginning. She should experience a little better performance with the next one. Again though, depending on what she's doing. The more the processor is running, the faster the battery goes. Basically, using it as an MP3 player it's got great battery life, using it as a mini computer or gaming system will eat the battery up pretty quick. I just automatically plug mine in every night before I go to bed.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 248
    Given: 33

I can listen to mine all day long at work without recharging. I plug it in every night though or it dies the next day. But my battery also sucks. I have used it 9 hrs a day for the past 2 years.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

All-Star
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 834
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks fellas. '94, I'll try that stuff when we get the new one.