Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 74

Uniforms - Don't click if you hate uniform threads

Iowa State has an opportunity to be similar to Oregon with uniforms. ISU has so many color combinations and logo's that they can use this in a positive way. Some are hideous, some look great. All that matters is recruits love the variety.

College football programs use bold uniforms to lure recruits - The Bonus - SI.com

Starter
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 689
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Uniforms - Don't click if you hate uniform threads

Once Oregon is bad again, they're girly little fashion school uniforms gonna make them look foolish. But if they keep winning, they can do whatever they want.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 412
    Given: 284

Dang it, I clicked!

Addict
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,953
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 39

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to uniforms. So, for the most part, I'm not a big fan of the Pro-combat stuff and espcially that abomination that Maryland wore earlier in the year. I like the idea though of an alternate to be worn during the year, preferably at home though. To me it takes away from another school when you wear an alternate in their stadium. That should be something left for the home teams to do or bowl games.

I personally can't stand what Oregon does. I think most of their combinations are crap and look like they were just thrown together to be different as opposed to having any real thought behind them to create a solid well representing uniform. For the Ducks though, this seems to work and has become part of their identity, the crazy uniform team.

This is just my opinion, but I'm not sure how well the multiple alternate change up every game thing would be for ISU. The whole purpose of the logo design that ISU came up with was for Brand identity. To get us to be more easily recognizeable by a mark. So when people see I-STATE, they know who it is and quit calling us the Hawkeyes, Ohio, or Idaho State. I'm just not sure the AD would go for this since the whole rebranding process was meant to stick to a look that would be recognizeable.

In the end, if Nike told us this meant more publicity and a lot more jerseys sold, therefore a lot more money to ISU, I definitely wouldn't be opposed to it. As I've said a bunch of times before though. I wish we had yellow helmets to match our pants, but other than that, I really like the classic look of our uniforms now. I'm afraid that too much tinkering will lead to what OK St. was wearing this year and I'm sorry, thos things were God aweful.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 673
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 28

Quote Originally Posted by SC Cy View Post
    Iowa State has an opportunity to be similar to Oregon with uniforms. ISU has so many color combinations and logo's that they can use this in a positive way. Some are hideous, some look great. All that matters is recruits love the variety.

College football programs use bold uniforms to lure recruits - The Bonus - SI.com
    This worked so well for Maryland!

Addict
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 0

I don't get all the people that want us to try to create an identity by wearing the same uni's for the next 20 years or so.

We've never had an identity. We've changed our look every 3-4 years or so. We don't have a traditional identity like Alabama or Texas. We are probably one of the best candidates in the nation for Nike to try out different uniforms with BECAUSE of this fact. I say embrace it.

Young kids today LOVE all the new uniforms that some teams wear.

So if we don't have the traditional identity, I say go all out and let Nike experiment with us if they want to? Keep the logo, etc... but go crazy with different color combinations or helmet designs (like the matte finish Baylor had last night, etc).

We're ISU, we're never going to be as well known as the big time programs. But we can be known as the school with the coolest uniforms in the country, right?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 26

Quote Originally Posted by CyJack13 View Post
    This worked so well for Maryland!
    I like their uniforms a little more than most but I still think their shoes look terrible.

Pro
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,122
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    I don't get all the people that want us to try to create an identity by wearing the same uni's for the next 20 years or so.

We've never had an identity. We've changed our look every 3-4 years or so. We don't have a traditional identity like Alabama or Texas. We are probably one of the best candidates in the nation for Nike to try out different uniforms with BECAUSE of this fact. I say embrace it.

So if we don't have the traditional identity, I say go all out and let Nike experiment with us if they want to? Keep the logo, etc... but go crazy with different color combinations or helmet designs (like the matte finish Baylor had last night, etc).

We're ISU, we're never going to be as well known as the big time programs. But we can be known as the school with the coolest uniforms in the country, right?

Very well said.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post

Changing all the time is part of the reason we don't have an identity. I'm not saying we have to stick with one look for 20 years or that we can't change it up a bit every year. Hell, I'll embrace whatever Nike wants to do as long as it's not coming out of our pocket. I'm just not sure it's the goal of the AD to be changing up all the time, based on how the new logo was sold to us. It was to establish a look and an identity.

I also think people are confusing what Oregon does with changing your uniforms every year. Oregon is backed by a big corporation trying to sell jerseys, not just to you and me, but to high schools, smaller colleges and to little leaguers. If Nike comes in and starts blowing us up like they do Oregon, I'll definitely embrace it because it means more exposure.

To just change uniforms up, to change them up for the sake of change isn't a good idea though. We can't just say we've never had an identity, so why start now. If we have to build that on our own, then finding a look and sticking with it is our best bet. If Nike wants to help us do that though, then I agree with you, embrace it. I'd love ISU to be a top story every late summer/fall as people are showing off our new uniform combos.

Maybe CPR will help us, but right now, I just don't think Nike is interested in ISU because we don't have the draw that other schools have.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128

All I want is unis that don't look like USC's.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Recruit
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 421
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by SC Cy View Post

I agree, but I hope they are a bit more like Okla State than Oregon. That is, use all the color combinations, maybe a grey or black contrast/alternate, but keep within a more traditional template.

I posted this link somewhere else, as have many others, but this guy has done the yeoman's work visualizing all these possible combinations:

http://twitter.com/CycloneUniforms/#/media/grid

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 26

I don't believe that Nike changed the logo for Oregon or the changes were very small. I think a lot of people could handle different uniforms but I think many people would have a problem with Nike making drastic changes to the new logo.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 302

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    Changing all the time is part of the reason we don't have an identity. I'm not saying we have to stick with one look for 20 years or that we can't change it up a bit every year. Hell, I'll embrace whatever Nike wants to do as long as it's not coming out of our pocket. I'm just not sure it's the goal of the AD to be changing up all the time, based on how the new logo was sold to us. It was to establish a look and an identity.

I also think people are confusing what Oregon does with changing your uniforms every year. Oregon is backed by a big corporation trying to sell jerseys, not just to you and me, but to high schools, smaller colleges and to little leaguers. If Nike comes in and starts blowing us up like they do Oregon, I'll definitely embrace it because it means more exposure.

To just change uniforms up, to change them up for the sake of change isn't a good idea though. We can't just say we've never had an identity, so why start now. If we have to build that on our own, then finding a look and sticking with it is our best bet. If Nike wants to help us do that though, then I agree with you, embrace it. I'd love ISU to be a top story every late summer/fall as people are showing off our new uniform combos.

Maybe CPR will help us, but right now, I just don't think Nike is interested in ISU because we don't have the draw that other schools have.
    ********. Losing all the time is why we don't have an identity. The goal of the AD should be to make us as recognized as possible. We aren't going to do that sticking with our home/road unis and winning 6 games per year. You have to win or be flashy or both. When you have some sort of recognized traditional look like a ND, USC, Michigan or PSU, you sell that. When you don't have that tradition, you sell change which is what Oregon has done and look at the young kids recognizing Oregon. Sure, a lot of that is because they have won recently but I see about 10 times the amount of Oregon apparel as I do all other non midwestern teams combined. How many kids are walking around in Bama shirts? Not many.

I agree with your last part though. Nike likely isn't kicking in our door to get on board with us, however I think we need to be proactively looking at doing some of these gimmicks. I have seen a ton of awesome mock ups and with out colors, there is potential to catch some eyes.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Starter
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 287
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeclone View Post
    I like their uniforms a little more than most but I still think their shoes look terrible.
    Being from Maryland, I actually loved those uniforms that represented the Maryland flag (one of the coolest, in my book), but I agree that the shoes were terrible. In talking with some friends back home who are plugged into the Maryland athletics loop, they will probably use those flag-based unis again, but will likely change the shoes to a solid black, white, yellow, or red.

However, one has to keep in mind the strong ties that Nike has to Oregon and that Under Armour has to Maryland. Unless some sports apparel company starts up in Ames, it's unlikely that we will see so many alternates and combinations.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by k123 View Post
    I agree, but I hope they are a bit more like Okla State than Oregon. That is, use all the color combinations, maybe a grey or black contrast/alternate, but keep within a more traditional template.

I posted this link somewhere else, as have many others, but this guy has done the yeoman's work visualizing all these possible combinations:

Twitter
    I like a lot of what's being done there, but I just don't get the gray. It is not and never has been on of our colors. I know it falls into the neutral range, but it's still more of a color imo. If we don't stick to the traditional colors, then we start to get back to the catsup and mustard days of the early to mid '00s, where we didn't really look like Iowa State anymore.

To be honest, I'm fine with just about anything as long as it sticks to our traditional colors. We got way to red and yellow for a while.