Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 6

Another concussion

So now it sounds like Spangler has a concussion. For whatever issues this program has, I think even KJ's most ardent critics would have to admit that flat-*** terrible luck is a big part of the problem.

I hope he can get healthy. He had concussion problems last year and as much as I'd love to see him back on the mat at 100%, his long term health is the most important thing.

Wrestling: Iowa State freshman surges into semifinals at Midlands | The Des Moines Register | DesMoinesRegister.com

Pro
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 887
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 47

Re: Another concussion

We might need to revamp lineup
    England -174 not a problem weight wise
    Beard - 184 if not back maybe Cole if still certified here or Tyler Christenson
    Christensen - 197

At lower weight with Cozart defaulting out and lack of performance
    141- It's Goettl as far as I'm concerned
    149- Mayfield - if he's back from his concussion or Luke Swalla temporarily

Pro
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

I hate to think about next year, but this year is has been falling apart at the seams for awhile. What will be McCauley's eligibility status? With his year at the USOTC, does he now only have 4 to wrestle 4, or can he still RS?

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,199
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brett108 View Post
    I hate to think about next year, but this year is has been falling apart at the seams for awhile. What will be McCauley's eligibility status? With his year at the USOTC, does he now only have 4 to wrestle 4, or can he still RS?
    McCauley is taking an Olympic RS, so he still has 5 to play 4. It sounds like KJ plans on him wrestling next year though.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 46

He would be stupid to continue wrestling if he has concusion problems. I understand NFL players wanting to stay around and get the paycheck but wrestling their is no need to keep putting yourself at risk.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Starter
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 588
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

If this was football and our players were making really hard tackles and getting concussions would people be screaming for Paul Rhoads to be fired? Seriously Jackson is making the tough call of sitting the hurt guys now because the only thing that really matters is NCAAs.

Legend
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 198
    Given: 144

Ugh, this team can just not catch a break.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 355

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    He would be stupid to continue wrestling if he has concusion problems. I understand NFL players wanting to stay around and get the paycheck but wrestling their is no need to keep putting yourself at risk.
    I disagree, it depends on what level of concussion severity it was and it should be his decision.

For example I have had 3 mildly severe concussions:

1. In a high school game, level 2, I took on 2 blockers and got knocked out, but didn't know it. To this day I don't remember the whole 4th quarter including intecepting a screen pass for a TD. A news reporter asked me about it after the game and I had no idea what he was talking about.

2. Sledding accident freshman year at ISU was a high level 2. Did a backflip on a saucer sled off a ramp and cracked my head on ice. I don't remember anything for 1 hour after, including walking back to the dorm and having my friends clean the blood off my face.

3. Missouri my Senior year, got a level 2 in the first quarter. And without the coaches and trainers knowing I put myself back in on special teams in the 4th Quarter when the headache went away.

Pro
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 887
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 47

My guess is Spangler will sit for awhile if it is a concussion. His record and wins are good enough to get him an automatic berth to NCAA tourney. So right now, let England wrestle 174 for a couple duals and give Spangler some time.

This also gives Mikey a chance to improve his wins and record for a chance at an automatic berth in case Spangler can't go. (ie Sorenson/ Spangler situation last year) Spangler din't have a good enough record to auto qualify for NCAA even tho he had injuries also.

Last edited by buf87; 12-30-2011 at 09:40 AM.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I disagree, it depends on what level of concussion severity it was and it should be his decision.

For example I have had 3 mildly severe concussions:

1. In a high school game, level 2, I took on 2 blockers and got knocked out, but didn't know it. To this day I don't remember the whole 4th quarter including intecepting a screen pass for a TD. A news reporter asked me about it after the game and I had no idea what he was talking about.

2. Sledding accident freshman year at ISU was a high level 2. Did a backflip on a saucer sled off a ramp and cracked my head on ice. I don't remember anything for 1 hour after, including walking back to the dorm and having my friends clean the blood off my face.

3. Missouri my Senior year, got a level 2 in the first quarter. And without the coaches and trainers knowing I put myself back in on special teams in the 4th Quarter when the headache went away.
    For every concusion that was diagnosed I bet he has at least one that went under the radar.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

That plus fighting through them now won't be worth it if he ends up with chronic headaches, dementia, etc in his middle age years.

I admire the devotion all our athletes have and can't really fathom how tough most of them are. As much as I want to win, I don't want their long term quality of life effected any more than it has to be. I hope all involved here are smart and cautious. This isn't fighting through an ankle sprain or a tweaked muscle. You just don't mess with your brain.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

That plus fighting through them now won't be worth it if he ends up with chronic headaches, dementia, etc in his middle age years.

I admire the devotion all our athletes have and can't really fathom how tough most of them are. As much as I want to win, I don't want their long term quality of life effected any more than it has to be. I hope all involved here are smart and cautious. This isn't fighting through an ankle sprain or a tweaked muscle. You just don't mess with your brain.
    I agree. I understand NFL guys risking it for multi million dollar contracts and setting their families up. However, a University will usually keep a kid on scholly if something like this happens and he will be able to finish out his schooling. I would stop it if I had no chance at something. Then again wrestlers and NFL caliber football players are wired differently than you and I.

Word

Addict
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 0

I'm not a big wrestling fan, and I've never wrestled, but why don't wrestlers wear the padded head gear like you see Olympic boxers wear? I'm sure there's a reason, I just have always wondered?

Wrestlers heads collide a LOT. Why not protect them better?

Legend
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 198
    Given: 144

Quote Originally Posted by ca4cy View Post

The team takes concussions seriously - Drioun missed almost half the season last year with a concussion, Mayfield has been gone since the first weekend of the season and has no firm return date, and we've had other guys out for varying lengths of time. He won't be back until he is totally cleared medically.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Just to be clear, I'm not accusing anybody of not being serious about this. I don't think anybody will rush him back if he's not ready. What I saying is, once concussions become a chronic problem you need to consider whether it's worth it continuing an athletic career. I want ISU to win, but not at the expense of anybody's long term health. That's all I'm saying.