Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,345
    Given: 1,027

Tulane, Big 12, my trip to New Orleans

I just got back from spending Christmas time in New Orleans and here are my personal opinions on Tulane as a possible future Big 12 project.

1. New Orleans, despite being nuts about the Saints, is DEFINITELY a college football city. MUCH MUCH MUCH more than towns like Minneapolis, STL and KC. There were college football fans everywhere paying attention to minor bowl games. The Southern Miss bowl game received media attention that shocked me. People were actually aware Southern Miss was in a bowl. The city of Chicago needs Illinois or NW to be near the top ten to ever notice for comparison.

The fact that this city loves football so much that they're nuts about college football in addition to the Saints is the #1 positive for me. Hardly any other major pro sports cities (actually none) that I've been too have been like this.

2. While LSU and the Saints rule, Tulane seems like the #3 football team and most bars I went to had one or two Tulane flags up along with the boatload of LSU/Saints gear. Some poster said they were less significant than LaTech, Louisiana Monroe, Louisiana Lafayette, that's pure fiction.

3. Tulane is a very small campus but it is located in a great part of the city that's easy to access from downtown and all the social life. It's walkable from the French quarter for fit people or a 5 minute drive and there's also a street car. It definitely is a different feel than most B12 schools, but very beautiful.

4. It would take a long time, but I feel like if Tulane were in the B12 long term, they'd never capture the state of Louisiana, but they'd carve a passionate base out of the more affluent residents of New Orleans. There is absolutely no way that Northwestern or Vanderbilt are any better fit for the Big Ten and SEC than Tulane would be in the Big 12. Those schools are basically Tulane in the Big 12 with worse natural recruiting and they still make bowl games. Tulane has a stronger presense in NOLA than NW does in Chicago (I live there). Tulane is actually in the heart of New Orleans where NW is up North and 100% out of the mind of the non-alum Chicagoan.

Starter
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 895
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 160

Re: Tulane, Big 12, my trip to New Orleans

You are right about New Orleans being a football city. My sister never really got into football except for ISU football while she was here at school, when she moved down to attend Tulane for Medical School she became the biggest saints fan I've seen. I was shocked. She had never cared for pro-ball before that point.

Good times on Hawkeyenation.com after the 2010 Wisconsin Game!

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,345
    Given: 1,027

Quote Originally Posted by Gorm View Post
    You are right about New Orleans being a football city. My sister never really got into football except for ISU football while she was here at school, when she moved down to attend Tulane for Medical School she became the biggest saints fan I've seen. I was shocked. She had never cared for pro-ball before that point.
    It's really a "one sport" market. The most comparable place I've been too is Nebraska where only one sport seems to exist. College football gear was on display and for sale EVERYWHERE. Ironically I saw gear for sale from lots of the Texas/Oklahoma/Kansas schools and nothing anywhere for Missouri. The Big 12 teams already seemed to have more of an impression on the city than anyone outside the SEC/NFL.

I'm pretty shocked they have an NBA team and I'm sure it's doomed. That's actually one of the negatives for Tulane. Like the Texas B12 schools, they'll have zero interest in hoops even if they get ranked.

Pro
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 228
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 3

Is Tulane like the Drake of New Orleans?

All-Star
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 523
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 132

Good post! New Orleans is a great city!!! Tulane played in the SEC and had to step back due to financial resources. With their new dedication to athletics I think they would make a fine member of the B12. I'm not saying they would overtake LSU but many states smaller than Louisiana support two BCS programs.

Tulane is also a great school!

I would much rather have Tulane than Cincy or Uconn or some directional Florida school.

Prospect
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 240
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

I'm biased as my dad went to Tulane, but I think they would end up being a great fit. I think they obviously would have to commit to certain athletic standards, but it wasn't that many years ago they had a kid like RG3, and were ranked.