Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1
    Facebook Knows All
    Points: 273,988, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cycloneworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    16,149
    Points
    273,988
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 66

    Would we have sold 11k for the Holiday Bowl?

    Neither Cal nor Texas sold their 11,000 ticket allotment. Also, it was the smallest Holiday Bowl crowd (57,313) since 1997.

    I know these mid-level and lower bowl games love when a Texas, OU, Ohio State, etc. fall into their games but why? The reason they do is because they have a disappointing season and the majority of their fans don't really care about the game. Sure the TV ratings may be better but the people running the games care more about actual attendance than ratings (unless its an ESPN-owned bowl).

    Do you think ISU would have sold 11k? I do. If we sold 5k for the Pinstripe (expensive as hell), I think double that to go to San Diego would be attainable.



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 450,369, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    brianhos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Trenchtown
    Posts
    39,551
    Points
    450,369
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 148
    Given: 25

    Re: Would we have sold 11k for the Holiday Bowl?

    I would have gone to any other bowl, but I was not going to NYC for an reason.


    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

  3. #3
    Legend
    Points: 206,350, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    MNCyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    10,390
    Points
    206,350
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 338
    Given: 213

    Re: Would we have sold 11k for the Holiday Bowl?

    Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    Neither Cal nor Texas sold their 11,000 ticket allotment. Also, it was the smallest Holiday Bowl crowd (57,313) since 1997.

    I know these mid-level and lower bowl games love when a Texas, OU, Ohio State, etc. fall into their games but why? The reason they do is because they have a disappointing season and the majority of their fans don't really care about the game. Sure the TV ratings may be better but the people running the games care more about actual attendance than ratings (unless its an ESPN-owned bowl).

    Do you think ISU would have sold 11k? I do. If we sold 5k for the Pinstripe (expensive as hell), I think double that to go to San Diego would be attainable.
    I'm not sure this is actually true. If I'm ponying up money to sponsor a bowl is it more beneficial to me to have a big crowd at the game, or lots of tv viewers seeing my logo all afternoon and getting bombarded with my commercials? I'm sure the tourism boards and such want well travelling schools, but I would imagine their influence is negligible.



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 28,385, Level: 51
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cygrads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Altoona, IA
    Posts
    1,971
    Points
    28,385
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 26

    Re: Would we have sold 11k for the Holiday Bowl?

    I wish I could say yes but not possible this year unless it was an easy drive to TX.



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 28,385, Level: 51
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    cygrads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Altoona, IA
    Posts
    1,971
    Points
    28,385
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 26

    Re: Would we have sold 11k for the Holiday Bowl?

    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    I'm not sure this is actually true. If I'm ponying up money to sponsor a bowl is it more beneficial to me to have a big crowd at the game, or lots of tv viewers seeing my logo all afternoon and getting bombarded with my commercials? I'm sure the tourism boards and such want well travelling schools, but I would imagine their influence is negligible.
    That may be true because why would the Houston Bowl select ATM - they did so in order to sell more tickets but it would not maximize the economic impact to Houston like ISU would have made, it must be TV rev.



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 269,132, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isuno1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, Iowa
    Posts
    17,444
    Points
    269,132
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 19

    Re: Would we have sold 11k for the Holiday Bowl?

    Easily...I had a trip for 3 all ready until we got punk'd.

    I think we would have had 15-20k in San Diego and sold the 11k allotment through the University. Holiday Bowl would have represented another "next step" for the program.



  7. #7
    Legend
    Points: 206,350, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    MNCyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    10,390
    Points
    206,350
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 338
    Given: 213

    Re: Would we have sold 11k for the Holiday Bowl?

    Quote Originally Posted by cygrads View Post
    That may be true because why would the Houston Bowl select ATM - they did so in order to sell more tickets but it would not maximize the economic impact to Houston like ISU would have made, it must be TV rev.
    There are some exceptions I see. For example, the ratings for the BCS games and a few other bigger bowls are generally going to be high regardless, so I'm sure there is more of an emphasis on travelling fanbases for those. Take this year's Sugar Bowl for instance, I'm pretty sure that Boise St. would draw bigger tv ratings than Virginia Tech (although KSU would still get screwed).



  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 403,628, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonedave25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    14,448
    Points
    403,628
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 300
    Given: 151

    Re: Would we have sold 11k for the Holiday Bowl?

    ISU would have sold 11k easily to the Holiday Bowl. No doubt about it.



  9. #9
    Asst. Regional Manager
    Points: 224,554, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mj4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    16,073
    Points
    224,554
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 381
    Given: 301

    Re: Would we have sold 11k for the Holiday Bowl?

    My wife, my 5 month old and I would have driven to Dallas. NYC? No way.


    @RandomGeoFacts

  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 51,781, Level: 70
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,601
    Points
    51,781
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 125

    Re: Would we have sold 11k for the Holiday Bowl?

    I really don't think the Holiday Bowl was any cheaper. I know most of the flights were actually more expensive.



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 269,132, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isuno1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, Iowa
    Posts
    17,444
    Points
    269,132
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 19

    Re: Would we have sold 11k for the Holiday Bowl?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2020cy View Post
    I really don't think the Holiday Bowl was any cheaper. I know most of the flights were actually more expensive.
    It's not cheaper, but it's the Holiday Bowl in San Diego. People would have FLOCKED there.



  12. #12
    Prospect
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Would we have sold 11k for the Holiday Bowl?

    Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    Neither Cal nor Texas sold their 11,000 ticket allotment. Also, it was the smallest Holiday Bowl crowd (57,313) since 1997.

    I know these mid-level and lower bowl games love when a Texas, OU, Ohio State, etc. fall into their games but why? The reason they do is because they have a disappointing season and the majority of their fans don't really care about the game. Sure the TV ratings may be better but the people running the games care more about actual attendance than ratings (unless its an ESPN-owned bowl).

    Do you think ISU would have sold 11k? I do. If we sold 5k for the Pinstripe (expensive as hell), I think double that to go to San Diego would be attainable.
    Tickets to San Deigo were way more expensive than to NYC!!



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 42,178, Level: 63
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 772
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    3,371
    Points
    42,178
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

    Re: Would we have sold 11k for the Holiday Bowl?

    Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    It's not cheaper, but it's the Holiday Bowl in San Diego. People would have FLOCKED there.
    Perhaps, but the argument that NYC is expensive as a reason not to go goes out the window with San Diego. Expensive crappy flights, expensive food, expensive hotels.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 96,988, Level: 96
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clonefan94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Schaumburg, IL
    Posts
    5,909
    Points
    96,988
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 35

    Re: Would we have sold 11k for the Holiday Bowl?

    Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post
    Perhaps, but the argument that NYC is expensive as a reason not to go goes out the window with San Diego. Expensive crappy flights, expensive food, expensive hotels.

    Yes, San Diego would have been a lot more expensive of a Trip. But the idea of going to San Diego probably would have propelled a lot more people to go. I still wouldn't have been able to make it though as this years vacation time I had was used up watching the kids at home.



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 67,778, Level: 80
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 272
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    3,234
    Points
    67,778
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 1

    Re: Would we have sold 11k for the Holiday Bowl?

    No excuse for Cal not to sell their allotment. Bad job out of you Cal!



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM