Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 20

Grand Canyon Hike Question

Want to hike Rim to Rim before old age catches up with me! Am giving some serious thought to giving this a go this year and I've got my wife and a good friend interested in going. Initially wanted to stay at Phantom Ranch at the bottom, but after near a year of trying to get a spot there have given up trying to book a bed at the bottom. Now we're thinking about sleeping under the stars.

Has anyone done this and do you have suggestions? I'm thinking renting most of our equipment once we get there probably makes the most sense? If you agree, any local outfitter stores you'd recommend?

We're thinking of taking the North Kaibab trail down from the North and the Bright Angel Trail Up

Am going to try to apply for a Back County Permit on Sunday for next May. After that we get into the summer months and not sure we want attempt in summer months?

Have been researching this off and on for a year, but am open to advice from experienced hikers!

Last edited by Bobber; 12-28-2011 at 08:55 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 1

Re: Grand Canyon Hike Question

I don't have advice, but one of my co-workers took that route and stayed at the ranch, great way to do it. Have fun!

I don't do signatures. Blondes, brunettes, and red heads are a different story.

Prospect
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 434
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Want to hike Rim to Rim before old age catches up with me! Am giving some serious thought to giving this a go this year and I've got my wife and a good friend interested in going. Initially wanted to stay at Phantom Ranch at the bottom, but after near a year of trying to get a spot there have given up trying to book a bed at the bottom. Now we're thinking about sleeping under the stars.

Has anyone done this and do you have suggestions? I'm thinking renting most of our equipment once we get there probably makes the most sense? If you agree, any local outfitter stores you'd recommend?

We're thinking of taking the North Kaibab trail down from the North and the Bright Angel Trail Up

Am going to try to apply for a Back County Permit on Sunday for next May. After that we get into the summer months and not sure we want attempt in summer months?

Have been researching this off and on for a year, but am open to advice from experienced hikers!
    I have been to the Grand Canyon 6-8 times and have hiked to Phantom Ranch 3 times. A couple quick things. The north rim opens only after the snow has melted which is generally around min May. Some years it is before then and some years it is after that - there is no guarantee. If you do this hike starting at the north rim; I would do it as a 4 day hike (or 5 day). 1st night at Cottonwood Campground; 2nd night at Bright Angel Campground; 3rd night at Indian Gardens Campground and the last day finish by hiking up the Bright Angel to the south rim. If you have time spend an extra day at either Bright Angel or Indian Gardens.

Prospect
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

In regards to renting camping equipment: I went on a 6 day guided trip last spring to Clear Creek Canyon (it is located within Grand Canyon National Park) through Four Season Guides. They also have a retail store located in Flagstaff. I believe they also rent out equipment. website is fsguides.com and contact ph# are 928-779-6224 (retail store); 928-525-1552 (guided trips).

I choose to go with a guided trip since all guides are backcountry certified in first aide (I wanted to safe even though I didn't think anything would happen). Secondly the guides know all the hidden spots that the general public doenst know about. I have hiked down the Bright Angel 3 times before but only with the guide did I see some petrogliphs and ancient anasazi ruins. They will also cook all your meals (Ok yes I'm lazy). You can do this hike by yourselve and there should be no reason to need first aide. But you will probably miss alot of these hidden ruins.

Have fun.

Prospect
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

When to go: As I mentioned in a previous post the north rim might be closed till mid May. If you do depart from the north rim you do not want to leave after the first week of June. It might be late spring on the rim but it will be the middle of summer down in the canyon bottom. The afternoons will probably be hot by then.

Another possibility is to hike down the South Kaibab to Bright Angel Campground on day one. Then hike north to Cottonwood Campground on day two. On day three hike up the North Kaibabas far as you want and return to Cottonwood that night.
    Day four hike back to Bright Angel. Day five hike up to Indian Gardens on the Bright Angel Trail. Day six finsih hiking up the Bright Angel Trail to the rim. So if you do this; you could do it in March, April or May and the temps will be very good. The earlier you go the cooler the nights will be. Also the earlier you go the more likely there might be snow and ice on the upper trailheads and you might need to have crapons <sp?> - metal spikes - on your shoes/boats.

All campgrounds should have running water. However only the upper part of the Bright Angel Trail has running water available in a couple spots along the trail. Between Indian Gardens and the south rim water should be available at 3 mile and 1 1/2 resthouses. So you can decrease how much water you are carrying on this stretch of trail - which is helpful since you will be hiking up a long steep trail.

(I tried to do this as one long post but somehow it didnt work, so I'm breaking it down into smaller posts)

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 207
    Given: 185

Great hike- I recommend going down the North Kaibab and up the South Kaibab. The Bright Angel Trail is like a busy freeway. My girlfriend and I did the hike last July 4th in a day, but if I were to spend a night, it would be with a back-country permit.