Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

NC State players!

When top talent was leaving OU due to the coaching changes ppl said we wouldnt go after them due to the fact of being in there conference and they would have to sit out... well theres another chance with 2 top 100 recruits getting releases from NC State per www.cstv.com

# Two Top 100 Class 2006 prospects, forward Dan Werner of Lincroft-Christian Brothers, NJ., and guard Larry Davis of Middle Village-****** the King, NY., have received requested conditional releases from North Carolina State following the coaching change.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Re: NC State players!

That would be nice. It would just add to the talent that we are going to have in a couple of years. I think the teams in 1-3 years are going to be some of the best the programs seen.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Yeah it would be awesome to get some 4 year guys that are legit

Walk On
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 267
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

With GMAC and the new coaching staff, whoever we can get right now for 3+ years will be major contributors and big 12 winning type players for this program in the future. I have the upmost respect for coach GMAC. We already have more talent than UNI did last year and look at what he did with that team. What do you all think?

Drews79

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 316
    Given: 261

Ben Jacobsen, Grant Stout, and Eric Coleman were their best players. Are any of them NBA caliber? Probably not. But they had A for hustle and followed THE PLAN.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Recruit Achievements:

Thumbs Up

They followed what plan? be competitive in a mid major and get booted in the first round. In case you all haven't noticed, one NBA guy can change a whole teams future. Think Wade at marquette, szerbiac(no idea how to spell that), fazickus (again, what is with these names?), etc. Once every ten or so years, a team actually has some moderate success with hustle and whatnot, but the odds of being the next george mason are slim.
    Wesely, I don't understand what you think these UNI players had that our guys didn't. In a three year stretch we were more successfull. In addittion, they would not have been much better in the 12, if at all. It is a whole different world Mcd has moved into and the fact that he has got one guy who was being persued by uni, and has offered 2 morer for next year, worries me greatly. Uni may have beat ISU in football 10 or so years ago, they may have won the gateway conference that year, but anyone that thinks they would have even been near .500 in the 12 is smoking crack.

Let the bid to become the newest conf. USA team begin

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 386
    Given: 354

Sounds to me like you would be worried if ISU actually did well so you'd have nothing to ***** about.

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>
    They followed what plan? be competitive in a mid major and get booted in the first round. In case you all haven't noticed, one NBA guy can change a whole teams future. Think Wade at marquette, szerbiac(no idea how to spell that), fazickus (again, what is with these names?), etc. Once every ten or so years, a team actually has some moderate success with hustle and whatnot, but the odds of being the next george mason are slim.
    Wesely, I don't understand what you think these UNI players had that our guys didn't. In a three year stretch we were more successfull. In addittion, they would not have been much better in the 12, if at all. It is a whole different world Mcd has moved into and the fact that he has got one guy who was being persued by uni, and has offered 2 morer for next year, worries me greatly. Uni may have beat ISU in football 10 or so years ago, they may have won the gateway conference that year, but anyone that thinks they would have even been near .500 in the 12 is smoking crack.
    [/b][/quote]

In a three year stretch we were more successful? Yeah we made three tourney appearances in a row in that time and knocked off a Final Four participant in their own house thisyear. Yeah we were more successful. What a moron.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 316
    Given: 261

The UNI plan was to pass the ball around hoping for the easy buckerty inside, play mam on man defense, hope the other team makes a mistake at the end, substitute freely and use 10 guys. Waiting to see if this is the ISU plan.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 649
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 14

[/b][/quote]

How do you figure we were more successful? We had twice the talent, drastically underachieved, and only made one NCAA tournament. UNI played with unrated players, overachieved on every count, and got an at-large bid all three years.

Give me the team that overachieves for once, please.

Pro
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,328
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 15

I think I agree with discombobulated on this one. To say that we do not need great talent to win in the Big 12 is absolutely ridiculous. Everyone has the arguement that mid majors aren't so mid anymore, but I disagree. Sure, every year there are a handful of teams that will knock off a a big name school, or suprise a few people in the tournement. But here is the problem, those teams are senior laden one-hit wonders. Sure there are certain teams that can reach this senior laden plateau more frequently than others, (eg UNI, Creighton, Gonzaga, etc) But to say that these teams can compete on a day in and day out basis in a power conference is simply foolishness.

We have to get big talent to be able to compete with the big talent going to the Kansas' and Texas' of the world. Hard work and experience can go a long ways, but that won't cut it when you have only a 4 year window to work with a player.

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Being senior laden will be our niche. Teams like KU and Texas have to replace their talent every two years because the guys they target are going pro early. I'll take some guys a rung down the talent ladder(not that we will indefinitely because GMac can recruit) but a rung up the experience ladder and do just fine. How do you suppose George Mason did what they did.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 649
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 14

I think I agree with discombobulated on this one. To say that we do not need great talent to win in the Big 12 is absolutely ridiculous. Everyone has the arguement that mid majors aren't so mid anymore, but I disagree. Sure, every year there are a handful of teams that will knock off a a big name school, or suprise a few people in the tournement. But here is the problem, those teams are senior laden one-hit wonders. Sure there are certain teams that can reach this senior laden plateau more frequently than others, (eg UNI, Creighton, Gonzaga, etc) But to say that these teams can compete on a day in and day out basis in a power conference is simply foolishness.

We have to get big talent to be able to compete with the big talent going to the Kansas' and Texas' of the world. Hard work and experience can go a long ways, but that won't cut it when you have only a 4 year window to work with a player.
    [/b][/quote]

Nobody's saying we don't need talent. The point is that our talent-laden team last year drastically underachieved. What good is talent if we can't coach it? I'll take an unheralded recruiting class that overachieves over a 4 star class that doesn't pan out any day of the year.

What's best is I do not think we are going to have talentless classes with McDermott. He'll recruit big-name players and he'll coach them to fruition.

Recruit Achievements:

Thumbs Up

[/b][/quote]

Thank god, there are a few people that are quaffing the GMac kool-aid. I agree with both Discombobulated and MNclone. GMac is not a good enough coach to outcoach Bill Self, Bobby Knight, et al with a serious talent differential. That being said, I hope McDermott does get the talent to Ames and does compete for Big XII titles, but all this talk of coaching up lesser talent to compete with the big boys is silly. You can coach up at team to a certain point, but good coaching has it's limits.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 386
    Given: 354

And Wayne Morgan was not a good enough coach to beat those coaches with similar talent.