Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 3

Phillip Bates...

I wonder how these kids look back on their careers and think about the "What if's" after their career is over?

This kid had a lot of talent, i still think he could have been an awesome possession receiver had he chosen to make that switch. We know he could catch the ball, the catch he made against klinkenborg (sp) was the defining moment of that game - it set up shaggys game winning fg.

Instead, he chose to transfer to Ohio to play QB....

Career Stats at Ohio:
    13-28 320 yards 3 td 3 int.

Try to keep track of those guys that transfer that i liked, and didnt leave because of bad standing with the team...

Wish the young man good luck with his future.....

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 533
    Given: 150

Re: Phillip Bates...

With the clearly poor decision making guiding his choices (at least in terms of making decisions that will further his publicly stated goals) he definitely needs the good luck.

That was such a waste of a talent/utterly stupid for him to transfer to Ohio. Had he stayed at ISU and switched positions he could have been an NFL talent.

Congrats Phil, you got to keep playing QB. All it got you was pine-time in the freaking MAC.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,270
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 79

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    I wonder how these kids look back on their careers and think about the "What if's" after their career is over?

This kid had a lot of talent, i still think he could have been an awesome possession receiver had he chosen to make that switch. We know he could catch the ball, the catch he made against klinkenborg (sp) was the defining moment of that game - it set up shaggys game winning fg.

Instead, he chose to transfer to Ohio to play QB....

Career Stats at Ohio:
    13-28 320 yards 3 td 3 int.

Try to keep track of those guys that transfer that i liked, and didnt leave because of bad standing with the team...

Wish the young man good luck with his future.....
    Kind of like his four games he played in at ISU.
    11-24 137 yards 2 TDs
    166 yards rushing
    5 rec 73 yards

Chiz's statement is still kind of funny though. “I am disappointed that Phillip is quitting our team,” “Although I understand his desire to be a starting quarterback, I am extremely disappointed that he is quitting two days prior to a game. However, we will give him his release, continue to support him academically and honor his scholarship for the rest of the fall semester.”

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 905
    Given: 556

He did switch to wr. Wasnt that special.

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 199
    Given: 202

I'm trying to remember the details after he left and am too lazy right now to look them up.
    Didn't Meyer have an injury or something right after he left and had to play injured or we played someone else that had no business playing qb?

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 592
    Given: 362

Quote Originally Posted by wartknight View Post
    I'm trying to remember the details after he left and am too lazy right now to look them up.
    Didn't Meyer have an injury or something right after he left and had to play injured or we played someone else that had no business playing qb?
    It was Arnaud and yes - he was banged up. Had Bates been here, he likely would not have played in that debacle of a @Baylor game.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by wartknight View Post
    Arnaud got hurt the week after he left. Bates would have started, but Chizik had played Arnaud to avoid burning Tiller's RS.

Quote Originally Posted by CloneIce
    Ohio Bobcats 2011 Team Player Roster - College Football - ESPN

According to ESPN he was listed as a QB this year. I think he was mostly used as a Wildcat package though.

Prospect
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 227
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by CloneIce View Post

He made a catch in ohio bowl game

All-Star
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 0

I saw Ohio play quite a few times this season. Bates was mainly a wildcat type QB and a little bit of WR. At the end of the season they had some injuries at WR and Bates got some extra playing time. It was interesting to see Bates and Blankenship in the same game. It felt like an ISU second string game.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 905
    Given: 556

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    Arnaud got hurt the week after he left. Bates would have started, but Chizik had played Arnaud to avoid burning Tiller's RS.

Ohio Bobcats 2011 Team Player Roster - College Football - ESPN

According to ESPN he was listed as a QB this year. I think he was mostly used as a Wildcat package though.
    Yeah, I saw him playing WR in a couple of there games, guess he still played a little QB. I think he would've been better off switching to S as soon as he hit college.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CloneIce View Post
    Yeah, I saw him playing WR in a couple of there games, guess he still played a little QB. I think he would've been better off switching to S as soon as he hit college.
    Yeah, looking at the stats you're right. He played some WR.

I think safety or WR would have been a good fit had he made that move. Instead he had a helicopter parent in his ear telling him how awesome of a QB he was.

Pro
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,384
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 98

When Bates transferred to Ohio he was set to get a legit crack at the starting QB job.
    Problem being the senior starter in 2009(Boo Jackson) had a early season ending injury and got a medical redshirt year to come back in 2010. Jackson was decent, and Bates didn't sniff the starting position that year, and barely played.

I'm not sure how good their QB was this year, but obviously Bates didn't play much.

Bates hasn't had good luck in his career with AA's injury just days after he quit and Jackson's untimely return for another year. Besides all that they guy's stat sheet is a ghost town at receiver as well so I'm not sure just how good he was at that position.

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Starter
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,082
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    Yeah, looking at the stats you're right. He played some WR.

I think safety or WR would have been a good fit had he made that move. Instead he had a helicopter parent in his ear telling him how awesome of a QB he was.
    Honestly, moving to Solich for a coach was probably the best thing he could have done - the problem is that he simply wasn't as good as his flashes seemed to indicate. Solich thought he had a guy who was going to develop into a big-time option threat, and he just, for lack of a better cliche, never could get the whole package together.

He had plenty of chances at Ohio to shine at any position he wanted, and the truth is that he never shone consistently, despite somewhat regular flashes of great play.

I honestly don't know where I would have put him - he wasn't secure with the ball, he lacked field generalship, and had difficulty sorting out offensive schemes. None of those are crimes.

But take a look at this pass, a spectacular catch by Boo Jackson demonstrates a number of problems with Phil as a passer:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2HLP5icoL8]Ohio Football 2010: Akron - Phil Bates to Boo Jackson - YouTube[/ame]

Now, he had some good touchdown passes off of pitches and reverses, but those relied on his unique skill set: he was fast and could heave it (not terribly accurately, but it didn't matter on the trick plays).

What was so strange about Bates is you would see him rip off a 33-yd TD run, and then sleepwalk through the next series.

I watched enough of his spectacular plays to cloud my judgment on the sections of games where he disappeared. It could be he didn't practice well, or that he relied on skill at a level of play that demanded both talent and work. Or, and based on what I saw, I think this is more likely: though he had a wealth of short-range skills necessary to play the position (explosiveness, elusiveness and a strong, if inaccurate arm) he simply lacked the long-range consistency (accuracy, decision-making, leadership) to play the position he really wanted to play.

I honestly don't believe he would have been more likely to win the starting position at ISU long-term. Frank Solich was convinced Bates was the obvious successor to Boo Jackson, and yet really had to fiddle around to even find a place for his unique talents anywhere on the field.

He was great for special packages - he burned a bunch of teams on the halfback pass: Buffalo, Northern Illinois, Ball State, and just plain old blew up Akron.

And that, even in limited doses, is something to be proud of.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,792
    Given: 4,011

Quote Originally Posted by FD Cyclone View Post
    When Bates transferred to Ohio he was set to get a legit crack at the starting QB job.
    Problem being the senior starter in 2009(Boo Jackson) had a early season ending injury and got a medical redshirt year to come back in 2010. Jackson was decent, and Bates didn't sniff the starting position that year, and barely played.

I'm not sure how good their QB was this year, but obviously Bates didn't play much.

Bates hasn't had good luck in his career with AA's injury just days after he quit and Jackson's untimely return for another year. Besides all that they guy's stat sheet is a ghost town at receiver as well so I'm not sure just how good he was at that position.
    I think bates could have been good as a WR if he had switched full time. At Ohio he stayed as a backup QB and played part time at WR. Had he been all in for the switch, he would have been better able to reach his potential.

Personally, I think kids are too quick to transfer anymore. If they aren't all but assured a starting spot they jump ship, especially at the big schools. Guess what, if the school you go to signs multiple 4-5 stars at your position every year, there is no guarantee that you will be better than them. That staff has made the same empty promises to all of you. You would have been better off commiting to a school that is more likely to have that same commitment to you. Instead, you bought into the Texas/Bama/tOSU hype and now you either have to sit on the bench or transfer.

That, and not enough of these guys are transfering to ISU. That would make me feel better about it.

On another note, it's interesting to think about Chiz saving Tillers redshirt. If he hadn't, Tiller could have just redshirted this year. The extra experience might have been good for him as well. Who knows.

All-Star
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 813
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

I bet bates dad was mad..... Again....