Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 13

Red Rock (the town)?

I don't know where I read it, but I didn't know there used to be a town called Red Rock which is located where the current lake is now? Since the lake was built in '69 (haha) does anybody who was round then know what actually happened to the town itself? I've tried googling it, but haven't really come up with anything.

Not sure why it interests me so much, but that area has a lot of history to it, I'm kind of surprised they just flooded it like that. Oh well. Decent fishing and fun tubing.

The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

Pro
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 46

Re: Red Rock (the town)?

Have you seen the bridge that goes straight into the water?

Legend
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 568
    Given: 274

I think there's an old post office kind of by the entrance to the campground below the dam. I assume this was the Red Rock post office.

All-Star
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 358
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

You must have read it on Wikipedia.

Prospect
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Jack & Hilton View Post
    You must have read it on Wikipedia.
    My grandfather was born and raised in the old town of Red Rock back in 1929 and Ive had the pleasure of hearing stories my whole life of Red Rock and the other towns such as Cordova, Dunreath and Percy which no longer exist.

Red Rock was evacuated prior to the flooding of the area. When they lowered the lake to do repairs on the dam you were able to get down close to where the town was and you could still see some of the foundations of where some of the houses used to sit. I was down there about a month ago and the water was pretty low and we were able to walk down the old dirt lane that was the original highway 14. The bridge that sticks out in the water that you can see on the north side of the lake is not the original highway 14. That road would take you down to the town of Cordova which would have sat to the east of the mile long bridge.

They still have a reunion for the people that lived in Red Rock every year. The original Red rockers are few in numbers now but many of their kids and grand kids like myself show up with them every year and listen to the stories and soak in every thing we can so that Red Rock wont be forgotten.

As far as the Post office by the camp ground, I have never heard anyone mention that it was the Red Rock Post Office or one frmo any of the other towns that were close to Red Rock and no longer exsist, not to say that it isnt, but I have never heard any of the old timers mention it.

There are a couple of books out there written by some of the people who lived in Red Rock. They are a very good read as well as full of pictures of the towns buildings, old school class pictures anyone and everyone who lived there years ago.

If anyone is interested I would be glad to share anything and everything i know about Red Rock with you. I have the books that i could loan you. I would be more than happy to meet you and show you around down there and of course my grandfather would be more than happy to sit down and tell stories of the old town and how life there used to be.

Gramps will be 82 tomorrow and good lord willing I will have many many many more years of Red Rock stories to come.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Addict
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 156

Not from the area or even visit there very much, but that is a great story. Love me some Iowa history.

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,062
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 38

Quote Originally Posted by SplitIdentity View Post
    I don't know where I read it, but I didn't know there used to be a town called Red Rock which is located where the current lake is now? Since the lake was built in '69 (haha) does anybody who was round then know what actually happened to the town itself? I've tried googling it, but haven't really come up with anything.

Not sure why it interests me so much, but that area has a lot of history to it, I'm kind of surprised they just flooded it like that. Oh well. Decent fishing and fun tubing.
    I don't want to derail the thread, but if you like Iowa history about towns disappearing, you should read up on Buxton. It was an old mining community on the north side of Monroe county. Pretty cool stuff.

Prospect
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by mapnerd View Post
    I don't want to derail the thread, but if you like Iowa history about towns disappearing, you should read up on Buxton. It was an old mining community on the north side of Monroe county. Pretty cool stuff.
    I agree the story and history of Buxton is pretty cool and amazing too. We visited there over the summer and took some pictures of the area and whats left of the buildings that were there.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Starter
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37

The moment somebody starts talking about building and dam and a reservoir in rural Iowa people start getting real excited about everything else and can't wait to put the next town over under several feet of water.