Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Couple of NYC "Tips"

Just some thoughts that might be of help for those who haven't been before:

1) if you want to look at the skyscrapers, don't do it while you're walking, you'll get dizzy or smash into someone or something (we've all learned from when we were kids, and did it the 1st time ourselves...)...

2) the "adopt-a-child" people. Yes, it's a great thing to do, however, these people are everywhere and not to be trusted with your CC info, IMHO. Tell them "thanks, but I'll do it online" and walk away, otherwise you'll be stuck there for 20 minutes...

4) MTA "Metro Cards" for the subway - go get one as soon as you hit town. Put $40 on it and not deal with using the vending machines more than once. They take bills, credit cards, debit cards...

5) 90% of us are very friendly, so don't be afraid to ask questions if you're lost

6) Our "homeless" people are the best in the business, however, they probably have 30,000 people/day walk past them, so don't worry, they make their money...

7) 4AM closing at bars, some clubs open later on the weekends, enjoy!

8) If you can, run a tab at the bars you go to instead of paying drink-by-drink. Why? NYC bartenders expect at least $1 tip every single time you order when paying cash.

9) Traffic lights. When the little white "person" turns to "blinking orange", you have plenty of time to cross the street, but once it turns "solid orange," don't start to cross.

10) Get to the top of the ESB or Rockefeller Center, when it's clear out, you just can't imagine how beautiful it is from up there!

Hope these tips help!

NUTS

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 26

Re: Couple of NYC "Tips"

Thanks for the tips!

Kyle S. Flander

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

11) when getting, uhm, "dances" - stay away from Russian girls, they're tend to be not worth your $10 or $20 dollars/pop!

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

8) If you can, run a tab at the bars you go to instead of paying drink-by-drink. Why? NYC bartenders expect at least $1 tip every single time you order when paying cash.

9) Traffic lights. When the little white "person" turns to "blinking orange", you have plenty of time to cross the street, but once it turns "solid orange," don't start to cross.

These two make me laugh. Iowans aren't all from the middle of a field.... hahahaha.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,046
    Given: 1,857

The yellow ones don't stop...

All-Star
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 744
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 22

11) When writing a list of things to do in NYC, skip #3

Jk

Legend
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 609
    Given: 403

Quote Originally Posted by CYko4ISU View Post

These two make me laugh. Iowans aren't all from the middle of a field.... hahahaha.
    No kidding. A couple of those you could say about Minneapolis or Des Moines. Good call on the MTA card though. Made life a lot simpler when I went to NYC in high school.

Pro
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 665
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 97

No. 9 - I think the traffic light was usually ignored by pedestrians in Times Square

Addict
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 474
    Given: 406

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone13 View Post
    No. 9 - I think the traffic light was usually ignored by pedestrians in Times Square

bump. Good tips.

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 648
    Given: 1,312

7 day unlimited pass or refillable card?

we are there Thursday noon till Tuesday afternoon, 6 days.

I'm leaning on the unlimited pass, if we travel 14 times in 6 days, it is the better deal. I can see us easily using MTA at least twice a day...

-keep

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by keepngoal View Post
    7 day unlimited pass or refillable card?

we are there Thursday noon till Tuesday afternoon, 6 days.

I'm leaning on the unlimited pass, if we travel 14 times in 6 days, it is the better deal. I can see us easily using MTA at least twice a day...

-keep

This is my plan also. It also lets you jump on/off buses all over NYC. This is very nice if it rains. And when you are done, you can hand it to a local to use until it runs out.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by AreYouNUTS View Post
    Just some thoughts that might be of help for those who haven't been before:

1) if you want to look at the skyscrapers, don't do it while you're walking, you'll get dizzy or smash into someone or something (we've all learned from when we were kids, and did it the 1st time ourselves...)...

2) the "adopt-a-child" people. Yes, it's a great thing to do, however, these people are everywhere and not to be trusted with your CC info, IMHO. Tell them "thanks, but I'll do it online" and walk away, otherwise you'll be stuck there for 20 minutes...

4) MTA "Metro Cards" for the subway - go get one as soon as you hit town. Put $40 on it and not deal with using the vending machines more than once. They take bills, credit cards, debit cards...

5) 90% of us are very friendly, so don't be afraid to ask questions if you're lost

6) Our "homeless" people are the best in the business, however, they probably have 30,000 people/day walk past them, so don't worry, they make their money...

7) 4AM closing at bars, some clubs open later on the weekends, enjoy!

10) Get to the top of the ESB or Rockefeller Center, when it's clear out, you just can't imagine how beautiful it is from up there!

Hope these tips help!

NUTS

Here are some more tips posted on another thread from Rutgaz about having an authentic time in New York:

Take a cab and sit in traffic for 45 minutes to travel half a mile.

When you reach your destination, forget something of great monetary and sentimental value in the back of the cab.

Buy something that you don't want or need simply because you desperately have to use a store's bathroom.

Go to a trendy club and wait on line for an hour only to suffer the indignity of being rejected at the door.

Get hit by an ******* on a bicycle who's riding in the wrong direction on a one way street.

Those are all authentic New York experiences! In fact, if you manage any three of those while you're in town, you can just go right ahead and consider yourself an honorary New Yorker.

And here are some of my own:

You have not had an authentic Iowan in NY experience if it doesn't include some of these things:
    • Getting sneers from locals who you bump into because you are watching something we don't have in Iowa (big buildings, stretch Hummers, pimps, etc.).
    • Riding a train or bus in the wrong direction (especially in a subway) and then panicing about how to get off and turn around.
    • Trying to figure how much to tip a street musician (nothing unless you hang around and watch the show).
    • Thinking that we are actually doing something good when we give a dollar (or our doggy bag) to someone who stands outside a good restaurant and asks for train fare or money for a hamburger. These guys probably make more money than we do (or just use it for booze).
    • Having to explain that Iowa is not Ohio or Idaho. Or some variation, such as explaining that we don't grow potatos in Iowa. I will be so delighted if the game announcers never slip and call us OhIowa State.
    • Being told "where to go" by a pushy local who is really just being helpful but it will feel totally overbearing.
    • Spend several hundred more dollars than we budgeted (and getting far less than we expected).
    • Doing a really bad version of saying "fuhgetaboutit" and experiencing a local not being very impressed by it.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CYko4ISU View Post

LOL - not meant that way at all, I just see people every day who are sitting there NOT walking across the street when they've got about 20-seconds to do so.

Legend
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 859
    Given: 1,481

One of my own from an out-of-state perspective.

"We all know you're damn proud to be from Iowa. You don't need to tell us.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by AreYouNUTS View Post
    LOL - not meant that way at all, I just see people every day who are sitting there NOT walking across the street when they've got about 20-seconds to do so.

You should see Iowans at a four-way stop. We are all so gracious that we wait and wait and wait for someone to go first. It is like we don't even know what the rules of the road are. I love New York where you can assume that everyone is going to go as soon as they can. I'm waiting for the time in Iowa when everyone waits and then surges forward together and all smash into each other.