Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 30

Anyone have a guess at what GC was hinting at in his show?

GC mentioned that he was very happy with the direction the program was moving, even though he was not happy with the wins. So, what do you think is the information that fans are not aware of that would make him so positive? Is it the redshirted guys? The recruiting? Stratigicly placed landmines on the home field?

Addict
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 535
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Re: Anyone have a guess at what GC was hinting at in his show?

The games havn't been pretty, but there are signs of improvement. The young guys are stepping in and making contributions early on, and there is just a god feel all around on the success of the program. It might not be to the level of of the Top 10 schools, but its there.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 955
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

You throw the turnovers out of Saturdays game and look at the Stats and we played a pretty good game. 400+ yards of offense in Lincoln is pretty good. Our O Line is looking better and defensive line is doing better.

Yeah we still lost, but I think gained a little respect on the other side of the Missouri river.

Starter
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 546
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    GC mentioned that he was very happy with the direction the program was moving, even though he was not happy with the wins. So, what do you think is the information that fans are not aware of that would make him so positive? Is it the redshirted guys? The recruiting? Stratigicly placed landmines on the home field?
    What would he be expected to say? "I'm very unhappy with the direction of the program is moving and I'm also unhappy with the wins". He's the head coach making big time money!! He needs to spin the positive as much as possible without coming across as a phony baloney.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by acody View Post
    What would he be expected to say? "I'm very unhappy with the direction of the program is moving and I'm also unhappy with the wins". He's the head coach making big time money!! He needs to spin the positive as much as possible without coming across as a phony baloney.

Agree.... Seriously would he come on commenting on how terrible we are and how he wished he would of stayed in Texax... He has to spin things and give us hope. Also, things are going in the right directions. Get rid of the turn overs and I have a feeling we win the lost two game. So things are looking up...

Last edited by bellzisu; 10-04-2007 at 08:13 AM.
    GDMCC Member follow us on twitter @dmcyclub

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Not trying to sound sarcastic, but if you cannot see that the players, as well as the team, are improving from game to game, how are we to explain this to you?

I don't think it's spin at all. I think he's being honest. The team really IS improving from game to game. Other programs have gone through this, so far, things are looking to be moving satisfactorily.

Starter
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 1

GC should be optimistic

Quote Originally Posted by herbiedoobie View Post
    ....I don't think it's spin at all. I think he's being honest. The team really IS improving from game to game. Other programs have gone through this, so far, things are looking to be moving satisfactorily.
    I agree. Nebraska is supposed to be the class team in the Big 12 North and IMO we held our own in Lincoln last Saturday. In Mac's early years when ISU played it looked like a HS team vs a college team- the Clones didn't look like they belonged on the same field. During Mac's tenure we got bigger, but I thought our players didn't look very athletic. In 10 short months our players have made progress and seem to get better game-to-game. I can't wait to see this team next September.

There is reason for optimism- we lose Meyer, Blythe & Barkema on the offense. The key will be finding a replacement for Meyer. Sure Blythe is pretty good, but IMO difference between a pretty good and average receiver isn't much. Plus I like our receiving corp next year of Hamilton, Sumrall, Messiah & Franklin.

Defense will be a bigger question with losses of Rubin, Braacksma, Banks & Bowen. IMO if ISU is to advance to the next level we need better players than Rubin, Braacksma & Banks starting in the front 7. Hopefully, some of those guys are already on campus or GC can find JUCO's to give ISU an upgrade.

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,463
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29

Simply coach-speak in the spin zone (TV).

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Personally, I'm thrilled with the performance of the O-Line and pretty much the D as a whole. I think that's definitely headed in the right direction. The O has found the endzone a few times, although still turning the ball over like it's electrocuting them or something.

Special teams? Well.... We didn't give up a TD last week and Shag hasn't missed a FG in three weeks. So it's better (I guess).

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 166
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by herbiedoobie View Post
    Not trying to sound sarcastic, but if you cannot see that the players, as well as the team, are improving from game to game, how are we to explain this to you?

I don't think it's spin at all. I think he's being honest. The team really IS improving from game to game. Other programs have gone through this, so far, things are looking to be moving satisfactorily.
    Last game I "saw" was Iowa, and yes they did improve, but then went back down. I am looking forward to actually seeing a game again next weekend.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Last game I "saw" was Iowa, and yes they did improve, but then went back down. I am looking forward to actually seeing a game again next weekend.
    Right. I'll believe it, yet I can't tell for myself - as we haven't seen the team play since that win over Iowa.

And...when I look at the flurry of mistakes we've made the past two weeks...it's hard to "see" the improvements when not only the same mistakes are being made - but from a statistical perspective, are being made more often.

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 26

The team/program is improving and making strides albeit slow strides. If you think its simply coachs speak...well...your wrong.

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 467
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

It has to be SPIN! He's in full spin mode right now! How else could you cover up a 1-4 record if you don't spin something positive and give some hope? /end sarcasm

Go Cubs Go!

Starter
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 295
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3

I saw them play in Lincoln last week and I can say they have definitely improved from the Kent State game. They look more confident in what they're doing and the game plans by the coaching staff seem to be better (a lot more wrinkles in the Nebraska game plan than the vanilla offense and defense we saw against Kent State), it's just a matter of better execution. The defense played well and got 3 take aways. The offense continually moved the ball and converted 9/21 on 3rd down (I think, I didn't look up the stats but I think that's close) and made a couple of 4th down conversions. That being said, we still have a very long way to go and it starts with eliminating turnovers (especially in the red zone) and getting better on special teams, which everyone knows already.

www.drivethelane.com/bask - A great college basketball simulation. Give it a try, it's FREE, not to mention addicting.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I think physically we are were Gene wants us to be. between the ears is a different story. We elimanate Turnovers and field position on kickoffs (Nebraska started neat midfield or on their side more than not Saturday)

Coaches had a great game plan. Some players need work on the between the ears thing. Some are seniors and that will not be an issue next year!

"where there is pain, let us bring grace. for those afraid, let us be brave. where there is misery, let us bring relief. let us be the remedy" dc*b

http://billclarkproject52.blogspot.com/