Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 19

Off Field issues

As I'm getting all prepared for Thursday night's kickoff, I'm finding myself cautiously optimistic about this year's season. I've come to believe that the majority of my caution stems from our Defensive front 7.
    This leads me to my frustrations with the off-field issues that have plagued our beloved Cyclones. Robertson and Berryman made poor decisions that have greatly impacted our defensive outlook for the fall.
    At the end of last year, I was feeling alright about our defense for this year, because although we didn't have a lot of returning starters, each of those returning could be campagning for All Big XII honors. But filling in holes alongside some great players changed into a complete overhaul of the defense with a couple gems thrown in here and there. I hate to ask 'what if' but I am forced to wonder.
    I am not a D1 caliber athlete, never was, never will be. So I don't understand all that goes into performing at that level. I'm sure there is a lot of stress and pressure, but what do you think leads athletes to behave the way that they do? I'm specifically thinking of Berryman and Robertson, but the list goes on and on with college athletes.
    How does someone think that they can take banned substances and get away with it? Do that many others do it and not get caught? Why would you beat someone up and steal their cell phone? better yet, why would you be in a bar two weeks before you turned 21, knowing that your entire future in the NFL is dependant on you not getting in trouble with the law? I don't think either of these guys were bad eggs when they got to Ames, so what happened? I remember when Berryman first got in trouble, there were articles from people that were close to him at home that were shocked that their sweet Jason would do something like he did.
    I'm not sure if I have a point to this, I'm really just curious as to what you think drives college athletes to put their careers in jeopardy.

ps Can't wait for thursday night!

All-Star
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 772
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 5
    I think a lot of the behavior in athletes that you see comes from the fact that throughout their lives they're told how great they are and not disciplined, etc when they screw up.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by MNclone View Post
    How does someone think that they can take banned substances and get away with it?
    I think that many people are naive regarding our football players and every other schools players taking substances banned by the NCAA as well as substances that are illegal all-together.

I believe the problem is wide-spread. I've heard from a couple reliable sources that players are given dates of when they need to stop cycling 'roids and other substances to prevent them from showing up during testing. This leads me to believe that random testing occurs during specific times each year and not during the summer.

This should surprise no one. This is a multi-billion dollar business and people are going to do anything they can to get an edge. Coaches will look the other way and some will even encourage it.

'Roid abuse takes place in Ames and every other college campus in America.

Berryman's dismissal from the team was rumored to not have been about being in the bar underage, but instead another much more serious issue. I'll let you fill in the blanks.