Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 36

Breaking down the 2012 recruiting class

I gotta admit that I didn't really start following recruiting until 2007 or 2008. This year, I have followed it really close. I am loving this class. The coaches have done a great job getting the kids they want, and I think they have a "plan" for each of these kids. These young men have all proved to be "All-In" already. I see them chatting it up with each other on a daily basis. So I am kinda wondering where these kids end up position wise. Here are my predictions....

QB:
    Grant Rohach- will stay at QB and will redshirt next year. Seems to be a very bright kid with a nice arm. Should contest for PT or a starting job at some point.

Luke Knott- Great athletic ability and great leadership skills. Alot of talk on here about him moving to Free Safety (or maybe strong safety if he bulks up?). I agree. He does put up solid numbers passing and running the ball, but I think Safety is a bigger need that QB. Luke will also most likely redshirt next year.

RB:
    Barkley Hill- Some people think we should have went after more RBs. Nope! 1 RB is all we needed, and I'm happy with the one we got. There is so much depth already with Shontrelle, White, Woody, Duck, Nealy and Standard. I don't know alot about this kid, but seen his stats and they are very impressive. He definately redshirts next year. I would like to see him put on 20-25 lbs and become a Woody-type of back.

WR:
    Quan West- This kid has great size at 6-4 210. Personally, I would move him to TE. He said he would be ok with that as long as he doesn't have to play defense. Seems like he has decent speed for a bigger WR and solid hands. We have good blocking TEs, but could use one who can catch and run routes as well. Even if he stays at WR, I am still excited to see what he can do! If he stays at WR, he could see the field next year. If he moves to TE, expect him to redshirt and learn the position.

Patrick Harris- Has great speed and good hands. He is 6'1" but only weighs 160. Definately redshirts and puts on some muscle before playing. If he does that, he could be very good.

Dondre Daley- Pretty much everything I said about Harris goes for Daley also. He is 6'3" 170. Good speed and hands, just needs to pack on muscle and he will be fun to watch!

TE:
    no commits

OL:
    Duaron Williams- We all know how much hype there is with this guy. Hopefully he lives up to it. From his online posts, he seems like a class act! Has good size for a OG at this level. Could play Tackle, but I see our coaches putting him at RG. Could start or be a backup next year if his injury is completely healed. I would not be oppsed to redshirting him just to make sure he is at 100%. Plus that year to learn the system would be valuable and could lead to 4 years as a starter.

Daniel Burton- Most likely will be a Guard. I can almost guarentee he will redshirt seeing how much depth we have already. Plus, he needs to bulk up. Weighs 270 now. Or coaches are great at getting OL kids to put on weight.

Jacob Dunning- Will probably be a tackle and will redshirt next year. Get this kid up to 300+ lbs in a couple years and he could be really good.

DE:
    Ishmail Hayes- JUCO kid,so he has collegiate experience. Really liked his highlight video. He is tall at 6'6" and weighs 245. With Maggitt coming back from injury, plus Irving, Nelson and Scott returning, I don't see a whole lot of newcomers seeing much PT. Then again, we rotate DEs like crazy. I think 1 newcomer at DE will see PT and the rest will redshirt or move to DT.

Pierre Aka- Lovin' this kid already!! He has a great sense of humor and is posting about Cyclone Nation on twitter and/or facebook almost every day. He is 6'4" 255, so he has the size and athleticism to play any D-Line spot. I would like to see him stay at DE and redshirt. Could be a nasty passrusher in the future, which we need BAD!! Bein a good TE also should help Aka.

Collin Bevins- Should probably redshirt. Patrick Neal is a good comparison, only Bevins will be bigger and faster after a redshirt season. I don't know as much about Bevins as I do about some of the other DE's, so help me out if ya want...

Cory Morrisey- From what I have seen and/or read, he will most likely redshirt next year. I think he has 3 years eligibility left though? With a little work, he could be a starter in the future. Has great work ethic!

DT:
    Mitchell Meyers- We got alot of DTs with game experience returning, so Meyers will probably redshirtand hit the weights for a year. He is kinda small for a DT at 6-4 241, but I see him getting ripped and up close to 300 lbs by his senior year. He is a good athlete for a bigger guy, and has great strength. I will predict him to be a 3 year starter, maybe 4.

LB:
    Adam Pavlenko- Definately redshirts due to depth at LB. The way he plays, I see him being a great prospect as a MLB, but he needs to get a bit bigger. With alot of our LBs being upperclassmen, I could see Adam starting at some point. If not, he will be a good scout player.

Kane Seeley- Very charasmatic kid! Should redshirt this year and hit the weights, then scout team the following season. From there, who knows? He is a decent RB in high school, so he knows how the RB thinks. Should help him as a LB!

Eddie Porter- This guy excites me more than anyone else in the class! No offense to the other commits, of course. If Porter is as good as we all think he will be, then we will easily have the best starting LB trio in the conference and maybe in the nation. We all know what Knott and Klein can do, so lets hope Eddie is the real deal. also, if the D-Line can get more pressure on QBs next year, then out LBs will have more "freedom." Not sure if that makes sense the way I worded it...

DB:
    TJ Mutcherson- I'm guessing he will play CB? Losing LJ will be huge. TJ is 5'11" 190, so he could play CB or Safety.

Cifford Stokes- Could compete for the vacant CB spot. He has great size at 6'1" 175. Seems to be solid in coverage. Had some pretty nice offers on the table before commiting to ISU. Is a JUCO so he has played college ball. I think we need that at this position!

Charles Rogers- Listed as an ATH, but I assume he will be a FS and will redshirt. I love this kids athleticism. I am pedicting (and many will disagree) that by graduating time for this class (excluding JUCOs), Rogers will go down as the top NFL prospect of the group. Duaron and the other guys will have something to say about this, but it's just a prediction!

K:
    Cole Netten- Don't know alot about him, but have heard he has a strong leg and needs work on accuracy from long range. We lose Mahoney AND Guyer, so the kicking job is wide open... Cole, if you start, be ready to run a trick play or 2!!

Overall, the number of kids we have signed at each position is almost exactly what I wanted to see... Did want to see a good TE though. D-Line was where we needed to concentrate the most on, and that has definately happened. Alot of big physical DEs who can move to the inside. LOVE IT!!!

Feel free to add to this, correct any mistakes or just criticize, which you know you want to do!!

This is Ophion speaking.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 278
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

re: Breaking down the 2012 recruiting class

2012 recruiting class

Twitter: @HBforTHREE

Dont worry about the horse being blind-- Just load the wagon.

Pro
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 230
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsYour first Group

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 30

Bevins is raw but is extremely athletic. He's a big time wrestler. He seems to be an intense kid that works hard. He'll stay at DE.

I wonder if Aka will move inside or to the offensive line.

Not that I'm extremely knowledgeable, but Mutcherson seems to be more of a safety than a corner to me.

From watching Mitchell Myer's video, it seems he will be a little bit of a project. It's going to take him a couple years to get up to size and strength necessary for his position. The staff obviously loves his athleticism.

I wish we had a good TE commit.

Addict
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 648
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclones26 View Post
    2012 recruiting class
    sorry, just noticed that too haha... had a horrible night and didnt sleep much

This is Ophion speaking.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isufan View Post
    Bevins is raw but is extremely athletic. He's a big time wrestler. He seems to be an intense kid that works hard. He'll stay at DE.

I wonder if Aka will move inside or to the offensive line.

Not that I'm extremely knowledgeable, but Mutcherson seems to be more of a safety than a corner to me.

From watching Mitchell Myer's video, it seems he will be a little bit of a project. It's going to take him a couple years to get up to size and strength necessary for his position. The staff obviously loves his athleticism.

I wish we had a good TE commit.
    i think aka is too athletic to move from DE... i think mutcherson plays safety in HS but not sure. meyer's definately needs work, but even the coaches called him a "project" so he should be good. great to hear about bevins!! i really like the d-line commits

This is Ophion speaking.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Breaking down the 2012 recruiting class

thanks for fixing!

This is Ophion speaking.

Pro
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,363
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 9

Redshirt every single one of them other than the Juco's and the kicker.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 107
    Given: 2

The one glaring hole is no TE. They must really be banking on Brun having a good year next year.

All-Star
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

For TE, Maybe they have a fullback style back, similar to woody, that hey are looking at moving out there. Also could be looking at using more five set and not needing one as much.

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by demoncore1031 View Post
    I gotta admit that I didn't really start following recruiting until 2007 or 2008. This year, I have followed it really close. I am loving this class. The coaches have done a great job getting the kids they want, and I think they have a "plan" for each of these kids. These young men have all proved to be "All-In" already. I see them chatting it up with each other on a daily basis. So I am kinda wondering where these kids end up position wise. Here are my predictions....

QB:
    Grant Rohach- will stay at QB and will redshirt next year. Seems to be a very bright kid with a nice arm. Should contest for PT or a starting job at some point.

Luke Knott- Great athletic ability and great leadership skills. Alot of talk on here about him moving to Free Safety (or maybe strong safety if he bulks up?). I agree. He does put up solid numbers passing and running the ball, but I think Safety is a bigger need that QB. Luke will also most likely redshirt next year.

RB:
    Barkley Hill- Some people think we should have went after more RBs. Nope! 1 RB is all we needed, and I'm happy with the one we got. There is so much depth already with Shontrelle, White, Woody, Duck, Nealy and Standard. I don't know alot about this kid, but seen his stats and they are very impressive. He definately redshirts next year. I would like to see him put on 20-25 lbs and become a Woody-type of back.

WR:
    Quan West- This kid has great size at 6-4 210. Personally, I would move him to TE. He said he would be ok with that as long as he doesn't have to play defense. Seems like he has decent speed for a bigger WR and solid hands. We have good blocking TEs, but could use one who can catch and run routes as well. Even if he stays at WR, I am still excited to see what he can do! If he stays at WR, he could see the field next year. If he moves to TE, expect him to redshirt and learn the position.

Patrick Harris- Has great speed and good hands. He is 6'1" but only weighs 160. Definately redshirts and puts on some muscle before playing. If he does that, he could be very good.

Dondre Daley- Pretty much everything I said about Harris goes for Daley also. He is 6'3" 170. Good speed and hands, just needs to pack on muscle and he will be fun to watch!

TE:
    no commits

OL:
    Duaron Williams- We all know how much hype there is with this guy. Hopefully he lives up to it. From his online posts, he seems like a class act! Has good size for a OG at this level. Could play Tackle, but I see our coaches putting him at RG. Could start or be a backup next year if his injury is completely healed. I would not be oppsed to redshirting him just to make sure he is at 100%. Plus that year to learn the system would be valuable and could lead to 4 years as a starter.

Daniel Burton- Most likely will be a Guard. I can almost guarentee he will redshirt seeing how much depth we have already. Plus, he needs to bulk up. Weighs 270 now. Or coaches are great at getting OL kids to put on weight.

Jacob Dunning- Will probably be a tackle and will redshirt next year. Get this kid up to 300+ lbs in a couple years and he could be really good.

DE:
    Ishmail Hayes- JUCO kid,so he has collegiate experience. Really liked his highlight video. He is tall at 6'6" and weighs 245. With Maggitt coming back from injury, plus Irving, Nelson and Scott returning, I don't see a whole lot of newcomers seeing much PT. Then again, we rotate DEs like crazy. I think 1 newcomer at DE will see PT and the rest will redshirt or move to DT.

Pierre Aka- Lovin' this kid already!! He has a great sense of humor and is posting about Cyclone Nation on twitter and/or facebook almost every day. He is 6'4" 255, so he has the size and athleticism to play any D-Line spot. I would like to see him stay at DE and redshirt. Could be a nasty passrusher in the future, which we need BAD!! Bein a good TE also should help Aka.

Collin Bevins- Should probably redshirt. Patrick Neal is a good comparison, only Bevins will be bigger and faster after a redshirt season. I don't know as much about Bevins as I do about some of the other DE's, so help me out if ya want...

Cory Morrisey- From what I have seen and/or read, he will most likely redshirt next year. I think he has 3 years eligibility left though? With a little work, he could be a starter in the future. Has great work ethic!

DT:
    Mitchell Meyers- We got alot of DTs with game experience returning, so Meyers will probably redshirtand hit the weights for a year. He is kinda small for a DT at 6-4 241, but I see him getting ripped and up close to 300 lbs by his senior year. He is a good athlete for a bigger guy, and has great strength. I will predict him to be a 3 year starter, maybe 4.

LB:
    Adam Pavlenko- Definately redshirts due to depth at LB. The way he plays, I see him being a great prospect as a MLB, but he needs to get a bit bigger. With alot of our LBs being upperclassmen, I could see Adam starting at some point. If not, he will be a good scout player.

Kane Seeley- Very charasmatic kid! Should redshirt this year and hit the weights, then scout team the following season. From there, who knows? He is a decent RB in high school, so he knows how the RB thinks. Should help him as a LB!

Eddie Porter- This guy excites me more than anyone else in the class! No offense to the other commits, of course. If Porter is as good as we all think he will be, then we will easily have the best starting LB trio in the conference and maybe in the nation. We all know what Knott and Klein can do, so lets hope Eddie is the real deal. also, if the D-Line can get more pressure on QBs next year, then out LBs will have more "freedom." Not sure if that makes sense the way I worded it...

DB:
    TJ Mutcherson- I'm guessing he will play CB? Losing LJ will be huge. TJ is 5'11" 190, so he could play CB or Safety.

Cifford Stokes- Could compete for the vacant CB spot. He has great size at 6'1" 175. Seems to be solid in coverage. Had some pretty nice offers on the table before commiting to ISU. Is a JUCO so he has played college ball. I think we need that at this position!

Charles Rogers- Listed as an ATH, but I assume he will be a FS and will redshirt. I love this kids athleticism. I am pedicting (and many will disagree) that by graduating time for this class (excluding JUCOs), Rogers will go down as the top NFL prospect of the group. Duaron and the other guys will have something to say about this, but it's just a prediction!

K:
    Cole Netten- Don't know alot about him, but have heard he has a strong leg and needs work on accuracy from long range. We lose Mahoney AND Guyer, so the kicking job is wide open... Cole, if you start, be ready to run a trick play or 2!!

Overall, the number of kids we have signed at each position is almost exactly what I wanted to see... Did want to see a good TE though. D-Line was where we needed to concentrate the most on, and that has definately happened. Alot of big physical DEs who can move to the inside. LOVE IT!!!

Feel free to add to this, correct any mistakes or just criticize, which you know you want to do!!

Knott-I believe he has already stated that he is going to start spring practice in the secondary.

Hill- I really don't see the Woody comparisons. Is it because he is from Iowa? Hill may not be SJ but I would say he is closer to Duck than Woody.

Bevins- I don't see any comparison to Patrick Neal. He is much, much bigger. Is it because he is from Iowa?

Mutcherson- Is a safety

Rodgers- Is a CB

Also you mentioned that after Seeley redshirted he could play on the scout team. He can be on the scout team and redshirt at the same time. Just a little clarification.

I agree that all the freshman redshirt but hope one of the WR's is too good to keep off the field. Quan West is my pick if one does.

Hope that Stokes, Porter, and Hayes are good enough to start. I think Porter is the most likely, followed by Stokes, then Hayes.

Good write up. Love this class!

Rookie
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 441
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 2

Great post!! Very excited for this class.

Rookie
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 439
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

It seems like the staff may have backed off recruiting TE's recently. I could be wrong. If that is the case it makes you wonder if one of the young TE's have started to step up in practice. Maybe Richardson, Lemke or even JQ Danials-sp look like the future at that spot.

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 119

Quote Originally Posted by hunt4isu View Post
    Hill is definitely built for speed, not power (hopefully keeps his elusiveness after his ACL recovery).
    ROTLMAO!!!! Oh, gee, thanks...I needed that! That's the best line I've read all day.

Whew! Thanks alot! You sure put a grin on my face!

Let's see--to stay on topic...

I think they like Burton's versatility. If I were to guess, I'd say that he backs up Farniok after Tautolo completes his eligibility, and is a potential successor.

Remember, Aka didn't play defense at all his senior year.

Mutcherson is indeed a safety, but Rogers could play either safety or corner. Personally, I think he'll be the same thing to Washington that Burton is to Farniok.

Bevins is a good athlete who could eventually be another DeRonde, another Carstens, or another Lamaak. Only time, the weight room, and sustained quickness will tell.

IMO, this class could use a HS corner, a TE and a MLB, though none are absolute musts. Grisbhy visiting will be a question mark.

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 365
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 31

I think Aka goes to OL but he's versatile so they'll use him where he's the best fit. Mutcherson will be a safety.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 42

Quote Originally Posted by ribsnwhiskey View Post
    I think Aka goes to OL but he's versatile so they'll use him where he's the best fit.
    Sounded like they were going to move him to DE.