Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 259
    Given: 0

Will we have to take another step back with new OC?

I remember everyone saying how difficult it was for Arnaud to play under 3 different OC's in his ISU career, and how much of a learning curve there was when a new OC came in.

So, does everyone assume this offense will take another step backwards with the departure of Tom Herman, or can we not skip a beat and actually improve offensively next year?

My biggest fear is that all the guys will have to learn a whole new system, its terminology, etc... and that we actually spend all of next year trying to become comfortable again in a new system.

I guess that's where hiring someone from within, like Messingham, might be a benefit, because maybe he'd just keep the same system, same terminology, etc?

It's not as if our offense was very good this year anyway, so I'm not sure how it could get a whole lot worse, but I was at least starting to get the feel that we might be turning the corner a bit, and now Herman is gone.

Thoughts?

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Will we have to take another step back with new OC?

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    I remember everyone saying how difficult it was for Arnaud to play under 3 different OC's in his ISU career, and how much of a learning curve there was when a new OC came in.

So, does everyone assume this offense will take another step backwards with the departure of Tom Herman, or can we not skip a beat and actually improve offensively next year?

My biggest fear is that all the guys will have to learn a whole new system, its terminology, etc... and that we actually spend all of next year trying to become comfortable again in a new system.

I guess that's where hiring someone from within, like Messingham, might be a benefit, because maybe he'd just keep the same system, same terminology, etc?

It's not as if our offense was very good this year anyway, so I'm not sure how it could get a whole lot worse, but I was at least starting to get the feel that we might be turning the corner a bit, and now Herman is gone.

Thoughts?

That's your biggest fear? What about nuclear war, disease, famine, drought, bears, cancelling Parks & Rec, economic collapse, alien invasion, invasion of the mole-men, the weakening dollar, the re-emergence of the Soviet Union, Michael Bay movies, restless leg syndrome, aneurysms, hay fever? Need I go on?

Why are you such an optimist?

Wear the fox hat.

Pro
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by LonoClone View Post
    That's your biggest fear? What about nuclear war, disease, famine, drought, bears, cancelling Parks & Rec, economic collapse, alien invasion, invasion of the mole-men, the weakening dollar, the re-emergence of the Soviet Union, Michael Bay movies, restless leg syndrome, aneurysms, hay fever? Need I go on?

Why are you such an optimist?
    You didn't mention what happens if CF stops giving stimulus credits periodically.

Or is that too horrible for you to contemplate?

Also, Kardashians.

"Me not winning isn't important. You do!"

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

What about going to hell?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 450
    Given: 45

Thoughts?
    Sounds like it will be the same system. So I do not look for a real setback.

IMO, it will most likely be Tony Franklin and if not him, then Messingham. The same system will be in place with either.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 625
    Given: 347

I don't think so. Herman's offenses were always middling at best. Some good games, but alot of inconsistency. Rarely, if ever had two good conference games in a row. We should be fine as long as the new OC is decent.

Pro
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 23

CPR already said he'd be looking to hire someone to run our system. The terms and plays won't change for the players. And I would hope a BCS level OC would have been around the game long enough that some slightly different lingo usage of a system similar to what he has worked with already (otherwise why hire him) should not be an issue.

When it comes down to it our offense was far from stellar this year. Even if it were a new system being put in (it isn't) I'd think they could match the performance they put out this year and overcome any transition with just another year of experience.

"Blamo"! The new CF approved swear word.

Starter
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,082
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 1

Thoughts?
    Arnaud's challenge wasn't the OC, it was the three HCs he managed that is remarkable.

Do you realize what a philosophical shift it is to go from Dan McCarney to the 5-19 Express to CPR?

Talk about whipsawed.

The reason why people think Tony Franklin or someone like him is the guy is precisely because CPR is consistent (i.e. He's not going to switch from Tom Herman to, say, Jim McElwain - well, that's a bad example, since he's now the HC at Colorado State, but my point is that he's not going to switch from a jet to a pro-style).

That consistency is more important than personnel switches below the HC. I'm pretty sure Alabama, Wisconsin and ISU will all recover nicely, because the consistency at the top is important.

I have no doubt that the next OC is going to be someone who is very excited to implement our existing QBs into CPRs offense.

Addict
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 259

Thanks to those of you with the intelligent responses. Nice to have a constructive converstation about our offense going in to next year.

To the other posters who actually believe my biggest fear in life is ISU's offense, if you don't have the intelligence to put something in context, then go back to school. My biggest fear for the ISU offense in football next year is the changing of OC's, yes. It is not my biggest fear in the world. FAR from it. Get it?

Pro
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 644
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 76

we shouldnt take any steps back unless the new OC is a dip wad. My guess is that it was a little more difficult for some past qbs for more reasons then new OCs every season. Our head coach will find a guy that will make this an easier transition then some in the past.

Addict
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,475
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 224
    Given: 149

I'm sure no steps back are in the plans.

Starter
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,082
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Rural View Post
    I'm sure no steps back are in the plans.
    Don't be so sure about that, but I'll tell you one thing, if steps back are in the secret plans, I'm ALL IN!

If CPR says it is in our best interests to go 0-24 over the next two seasons, and stitch BEAT IOWA on the jerseys for every game on the schedule, that's good enough for me.

Recruit
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 395
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

It may be that the team will take a step forward with a change, not back. I really like Herman, and agree with Urban and believe he is outstanding. We just did not always execute what was called for a veritable plethora of reasons. That said, I also believe it is very possible the kids will get a boost from a new OC and ride a bit of a wave with the new energy and focus.

All-Star
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by RonMexico View Post
    What about going to hell?
    You forgot the hand basket

Addict
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,535
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 137
    Given: 28

Im sure im not the only one who sees a big flaw in hiring Tony Franklin.

1. Paul Rhoads says he will hire a guy to come in and change their system into our current system.
    2. Tony Franklin requires a head coach to buy into his system and give him time to implement it.

= The same situation he had at Auburn. One of those two guys will have to budge if he does hire franklin.