Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45
  1. #1
    Prospect
    Points: 5,808, Level: 22
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 242
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31
    Points
    5,808
    Level
    22
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Could Iowa State be the next Boise St.??

    I have been thinking about this for awhile now and wanted to get others reactions to it.
    I remember several years back when Boise State and some other small school programs seemed to have the Thursday night espn football game every week. From that point on, a few of those teams really have bolstered their programs to a point where they are consistently in bowl games (Rutgers is another team that has benefited from this)
    After the huge OSU upset on an espn friday night game and the bowl game video that features the cyclones quite a bit, could this mean the clones are on the same path? IT seems like the cyclones and CPR are espn media darlings right now and ISU needs to use this to their advantage while the fire is hot.

    I would love to see the Clones take as many Thursday and Friday games as they can, and obviously they have to play well and win these games to really benefit from the exposure, but it seems like the perfect way to bolster a program.

    Thoughts?



  2. #2
    Starter
    Points: 18,289, Level: 41
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Ace000087's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    749
    Points
    18,289
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Could Iowa State be the next Boise St.??

    Quote Originally Posted by midwestcyfan View Post
    I have been thinking about this for awhile now and wanted to get others reactions to it.
    I remember several years back when Boise State and some other small school programs seemed to have the Thursday night espn football game every week. From that point on, a few of those teams really have bolstered their programs to a point where they are consistently in bowl games (Rutgers is another team that has benefited from this)
    After the huge OSU upset on an espn friday night game and the bowl game video that features the cyclones quite a bit, could this mean the clones are on the same path? IT seems like the cyclones and CPR are espn media darlings right now and ISU needs to use this to their advantage while the fire is hot.

    I would love to see the Clones take as many Thursday and Friday games as they can, and obviously they have to play well and win these games to really benefit from the exposure, but it seems like the perfect way to bolster a program.

    Thoughts?
    No. Iowa State will never be in the WAC or the MWC or now the Big Weast. If anything, the OSU game proves that on any given week you can beat any one. In Boise's case, they only have to play their "A" game a few weekends a year, and they are masters of this. The only parallel I see with Boise (and the only time I will ever give them credit) is that their coaching staff (Peterson) is pretty solid and gets the most out of their players. I'd love to see ISU go 12-0, 11-1, or hell 9-3 again but its not easy and with our 10/11 game BCS slate there is little chance for error and they'd have to get a lot of breaks.


    1337 Internet. Serious Business.


  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 121,671, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RING4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    6,714
    Points
    121,671
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 122
    Given: 147

    Re: Could Iowa State be the next Boise St.??

    Iowa State is not a midmajor.

    End of discussion.




  4. #4
    Rookie
    Points: 12,931, Level: 34
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 419
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Alswelk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    365
    Points
    12,931
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 11

    Re: Could Iowa State be the next Boise St.??

    Quote Originally Posted by RING4CY View Post
    Iowa State is not a midmajor.

    End of discussion.

    I would've said something along the lines of:

    "Iowa State has admission standards.

    End of discussion."



  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 65,986, Level: 79
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 464
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cyfanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    4,030
    Points
    65,986
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 557

    Re: Could Iowa State be the next Boise St.??

    Nope...based solely upon our schedule. We will never have a schedule like Boise State.

    I am not a hater of Boise State either...



  6. #6
    Starter
    Points: 28,242, Level: 51
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    LegendofRodA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    983
    Points
    28,242
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 9

    Re: Could Iowa State be the next Boise St.??

    Quote Originally Posted by midwestcyfan View Post
    I have been thinking about this for awhile now and wanted to get others reactions to it.
    I remember several years back when Boise State and some other small school programs seemed to have the Thursday night espn football game every week. From that point on, a few of those teams really have bolstered their programs to a point where they are consistently in bowl games (Rutgers is another team that has benefited from this)
    After the huge OSU upset on an espn friday night game and the bowl game video that features the cyclones quite a bit, could this mean the clones are on the same path? IT seems like the cyclones and CPR are espn media darlings right now and ISU needs to use this to their advantage while the fire is hot.

    I would love to see the Clones take as many Thursday and Friday games as they can, and obviously they have to play well and win these games to really benefit from the exposure, but it seems like the perfect way to bolster a program.

    Thoughts?



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 187,112, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ottumwa
    Posts
    9,714
    Points
    187,112
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 664
    Given: 86

    Re: Could Iowa State be the next Boise St.??

    Sure they can but they'd have to do these two things first:

    A) Leave the Big 12. Boise St has the luxery of playing two or three tough games a year and then sleepwalking htrough the rest of it. ISU would never have that in the Big 12.

    B) lower your academic standards considerably. When compared to Boise St, ISU is practically an Ivy League school.

    Do these two things and you too could be like Boise State. Of course that means you're either in a BCS game or a low ranked bowl game with no in-between, you'll have far less revenue to distribute to your other sports, and it would take years of upsets to get any benefit of doubt from the rankers.



  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 261,360, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    11,173
    Points
    261,360
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

    Re: Could Iowa State be the next Boise St.??

    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    Sure they can but they'd have to do these two things first:

    A) Leave the Big 12. Boise St has the luxery of playing two or three tough games a year and then sleepwalking htrough the rest of it. ISU would never have that in the Big 12.

    B) lower your academic standards considerably. When compared to Boise St, ISU is practically an Ivy League school.

    Do these two things and you too could be like Boise State. Of course that means you're either in a BCS game or a low ranked bowl game with no in-between, you'll have far less revenue to distribute to your other sports, and it would take years of upsets to get any benefit of doubt from the rankers.
    See, I've seen this discussed and have had this discussion with friends of mine. I have yet to see a link or article that discusses their lower admission standards. I think they allowed partial qualifiers before they entered the Mountain West, but that changed when they left the WAC. I would love to see some facts about this because I need more ammunition for my idiotic Boise friend.


    Team Rainbo_

    Quote Originally Posted by VikesFan4Ever28 View Post
    You have almost 5 crap tons.

  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 76,160, Level: 85
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 390
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    dualthreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Alumni road
    Posts
    6,791
    Points
    76,160
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 32

    Re: Could Iowa State be the next Boise St.??

    because they had a big win on a thursday night?



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 103,880, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clonefan94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Schaumburg, IL
    Posts
    6,157
    Points
    103,880
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 190
    Given: 102

    Re: Could Iowa State be the next Boise St.??

    Quote Originally Posted by midwestcyfan View Post
    I have been thinking about this for awhile now and wanted to get others reactions to it.
    I remember several years back when Boise State and some other small school programs seemed to have the Thursday night espn football game every week. From that point on, a few of those teams really have bolstered their programs to a point where they are consistently in bowl games (Rutgers is another team that has benefited from this)
    After the huge OSU upset on an espn friday night game and the bowl game video that features the cyclones quite a bit, could this mean the clones are on the same path? IT seems like the cyclones and CPR are espn media darlings right now and ISU needs to use this to their advantage while the fire is hot.

    I would love to see the Clones take as many Thursday and Friday games as they can, and obviously they have to play well and win these games to really benefit from the exposure, but it seems like the perfect way to bolster a program.

    Thoughts?
    A couple a year is fine. Two at the most, imo. If you want to see ISU's attendance numbers drop, even though the team were to keep winning, have all their games on Thursday and Friday nights. It's terribly inconvenient and makes people who live out of state, who normall would have been at the game, not be there. Skipping out of work a little early once or twice a year is not big deal, to have to do it 6 or 7 times hurts the fanbase more than it helps, imo.


    I missed the OK State game because of this. I'm glad it happened in a way. It was huge for ISU, but the fact that I wasn't there for that game, because I had to work, will never sit well with me.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 121,671, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RING4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    6,714
    Points
    121,671
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 122
    Given: 147

    Re: Could Iowa State be the next Boise St.??

    Quote Originally Posted by Alswelk View Post
    I would've said something along the lines of:

    "Iowa State has admission standards.

    End of discussion."
    Yeah, but when I learned that someone had been admitted to Iowa State, it made me question their admission standards.




  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 67,783, Level: 80
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 267
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    erikbj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    hiawatha, ia
    Posts
    5,369
    Points
    67,783
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 229
    Given: 62

    Re: Could Iowa State be the next Boise St.??

    If ISU got rid of all academic standards, then maybe they can recruit the same players.

    Also, BSU doesn't play the same schedule ISU does.......Boise would be a 7-8 win team in teh Big 12.



  13. #13
    Starter
    Points: 20,983, Level: 44
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 667
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    832
    Points
    20,983
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Could Iowa State be the next Boise St.??

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye11en1 View Post
    See, I've seen this discussed and have had this discussion with friends of mine. I have yet to see a link or article that discusses their lower admission standards. I think they allowed partial qualifiers before they entered the Mountain West, but that changed when they left the WAC. I would love to see some facts about this because I need more ammunition for my idiotic Boise friend.
    Boise State hasn't allowed partial qualifiers for at least ten years. It is still not a great school academically, however.



  14. #14
    Legend
    Points: 336,265, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveVeteran
    CyArob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    13,261
    Points
    336,265
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,103
    Given: 1,058

    Re: Could Iowa State be the next Boise St.??

    I think they've copied us the last couple of years with their missed field goals that would give them a chance at a BCS game.



  15. #15
    Legend
    Points: 261,360, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    11,173
    Points
    261,360
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

    Re: Could Iowa State be the next Boise St.??

    Quote Originally Posted by cyfan15 View Post
    Boise State hasn't allowed partial qualifiers for at least ten years. It is still not a great school academically, however.
    Ah, alright. Was told it was when they left the WAC. Good to know.


    Team Rainbo_

    Quote Originally Posted by VikesFan4Ever28 View Post
    You have almost 5 crap tons.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 11:00 AM