Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

ISU Defense vs. Texas Tech Offense

Get ready to shock the world. Take the points and take the under. As I look at the this matchup, I don't see the rout that everyone seems to be predicting. Yeah TTU has some mind numbing stats. Crabtree is going to claim every freshman receiving record by mid season. I think this is going to be a much tougher game than the Raiders have played so far. Take a look at my analysis of the matchups between the Cyclone defenders and the high flying Red Raider offense in my blog.

Blog Link

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" - Winston Churchill

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 43

Re: ISU Defense vs. Texas Tech Offense

I don't think the defense will get lit up either, but if the offense is going to turn the ball over and the kick coverage is going to be pee wee football bad, Tech is going to turn those misfortunes into points. I think this will be another game where next week we are talking about how "the defense really only gave up 28 points, but mistakes gave Tech their other 17 points."

I hope I'm wrong.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

my initial thought at reading this thread topic was hot knife, meet butter. I do hope I'm wrong... it would be nice for the O to get some long slow drives going to keep the D off the field.... c'mon Scales and/or Bass? huh... funny seeing those two words together... bass have scales.... at least the smallmouth did that I caught back in july.....

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,411
    Given: 662

Quote Originally Posted by frontrangeclone View Post
    my initial thought at reading this thread topic was hot knife, meet butter. I do hope I'm wrong... it would be nice for the O to get some long slow drives going to keep the D off the field.... c'mon Scales and/or Bass? huh... funny seeing those two words together... bass have scales.... at least the smallmouth did that I caught back in july.....
    It's hard to get used to the thought that we might have a solid defense. I know it happened a couple years ago, but even then I was expecting all hell to break loose, and reality to creep back in. In the years before that, we seemed to have almost unstoppable offenses and porous defenses.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 680
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 22

i agree.. thats what i have been thinking all week.. our D is not our weak spot.. and like i said in another post.. this would be a good time to get our O rolling..

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

Addict
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 836
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 2

While our defense won't give Texas Tech a record day on offense, we won't have enough to slow them down to get the job done. They will pick us apart all day long. Even if we did happen to hold them just enough to let our offense and/or special teams win the game, with as many mistakes as we have had on both of those areas (especially (un)special teams), I don't see us being able to overcome any scoring deficit we may face.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 556
    Given: 357

This is one game we need to tackle the receivers rudely so they will loose the ball. That is our best hope. Rush? Still waiting. We have a Nebraska style of rush - little or none. So turnovers will be it. And Blythe may catch 3 TDs Saturday.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 551
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 29

I think our defense is getting better, but this game will not be a gauge of that trend. No pass rush, a defensive backfield with no depth, and a QB who likes to throw picks is a recipe for disaster against TT. We haven't faced a team like this and it will be difficult for the scout team to adequately simulate their attack. The only hope I see is an effective running game to at least keep them off the field somewhat. If we get behind early and Bret has to throw the ball a lot, we're in deep doo-doo. Guess who leads the NCAA in career picks? Bret throwing INTs is not a short term trend.

LINK

This is who he is and we're going to have to deal with it. It's going to have to be field position (special teams), a running game, and a lack of fumbles from the RBs to keep this game within 2 TDs. You can put Meyer down for at least his seemingly average 2007 2 picks/game.

Last edited by Cyclone90; 10-03-2007 at 01:59 PM.

Prospect
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JCloned View Post
    Get ready to shock the world. Take the points and take the under. As I look at the this matchup, I don't see the rout that everyone seems to be predicting. Yeah TTU has some mind numbing stats. Crabtree is going to claim every freshman receiving record by mid season. I think this is going to be a much tougher game than the Raiders have played so far. Take a look at my analysis of the matchups between the Cyclone defenders and the high flying Red Raider offense in my blog.

Blog Link

I don't see a rout. It will be interesting to see how the TTU Offense fairs against the ISU Defense. Which is what everyone is going to watch.

GH has done a good job recognizing blitzes so far this season. Everyone wants to get pressure on GH and hit him to take him out of his comfort zone. But so far we've only given up a couple of sacks. It will be interesting how your front four does against our huge OL. A couple of teams have resorted to late hits on GH. Those seem to only **** off Harrell.

But I'd like to hear more about the ISU Offense against the TTU Defense. What is your take on that? Just use your running game and don't turn it over? I know we looked horrible vs Oklahoma State but we do have a defense. It has changed a good deal since then as well.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

TT is going to put up points on whoever they play. The key to this game is WINNING the turnover battle.

All-Star
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 791
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 62

Given that the MINIMUM that TT has scored this season in a game (45) is more the largest output for ISU (35), our offense AND defense are going to need to have big games on Saturday for us to stay in this game, let alone win it.

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,084
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by TTUFan View Post
    But I'd like to hear more about the ISU Offense against the TTU Defense. What is your take on that? Just use your running game and don't turn it over? I know we looked horrible vs Oklahoma State but we do have a defense. It has changed a good deal since then as well.
    My suspicion is that our game plan will be largely similar to the one we had against Nebraska.

Ball control. Sustain drives. First downs. Keep TT's D on the field.

I think it's probably a TT victory, but I doubt TT covers the spread. Nobody circles the wagons like the ISU offense this year.

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by TTUFan View Post

Working on the writeup on that should be up later tonight

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" - Winston Churchill

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    It's hard to get used to the thought that we might have a solid defense. I know it happened a couple years ago, but even then I was expecting all hell to break loose, and reality to creep back in. In the years before that, we seemed to have almost unstoppable offenses and porous defenses.

Exactly, with the turnovers our offense has given up and the bad field position special teams have frequently left us in, our defense has done everything we could have asked for except....generate turnovers. If you can't contain you own turnovers, you can only survive by balancing it out on defense. When we have a solid game from both offense and special teams it will be fun to see how effective our defense can be.

Starter
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Bring Walden back for this game to install the triple option for 350 rushing yards, 33 first downs, and 44 minutes of the clock; wait you need a different QB for this, we have the backs and line though. We win 28-17.

In all reality, we need super long clock eating drives: 7 to 8 minutes long and and TD at the end. No shootout. Hit their QB and receivers hard, do what we did to them in 02' and Iowa did to them in the Alamo Bowl in 01', is not hard and I think Chizik/Bolt are formulating somthing.