Harkin v. Limbaugh
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Harkin v. Limbaugh

I'm a member of several military forums, and am wondering if this is as big an issue back in Iowa, as it is here.

First, Harkin is on record as claiming to have Vietnam Combat Experience. Second, this is a lie. Harkin was a maintenance pilot, who flew F4s from Japan to the Phillipines. Regardless of what anyone thinks about Limbaugh (I don't think about him at all) how do Iowans justify repeatedly voting for a pathalogical Liar like Harkin? What kind of mental illness makes someone with a normally laudable service record (flying sick aircraft over the ocean is NOT for whimps) lie in public, about a subject that is so easily exposed as a lie.

It's bad enough that he is a proven liar, lying about military service, especially combat experience is the third rail within the military, so folks here just cannot understand why Iowans keep voting for the guy. I try to tell them about Iowa Schitty and Des Moines, as well as various tax gouges this guy brings to the state, but folks in the military take this stuff kinda personal, and do not understand the mindset that would cause people to pull the ballot box lever for him.

Is there someone here who is a Harkin "fan" that can 'splain some of this to me?

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 241
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47

Re: Harkin v. Limbaugh

My only explanation is that the average voter is uninformed and does not vote on the issues, or maybe votes on one hot issue that is important to them personally.
    To your question specifically, I think most people, if made aware of the discrepancy in Harkin's service record, are not going to change their vote just because of that. I'm not saying it's right, but it's just the way people are.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,175
    Given: 1,033

My only explanation for Harkin is a combination of far left voters and people who vote strictly for name recognition.

Rookie
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 537
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Harkin is truly one to be wary of. But that aside, I've never understood how we can elect Harkin (Hard Left) and then Grassley (not quite as hard but still hard Right) What goes through the minds of voting Iowans?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We love our incumbents. It gives us a lot of power in the Senate.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 670
    Given: 390

This whole Rush vs. the Democrats thing is pretty dumb. Rush said something that was taken out of context and now the "political game" is being played.

Maybe senators should be worrying about securing our border, health care costs, balancing the budget, etc instead of a political sparring match with Rush Limbaugh. But I guess that wouldn't make the news.

Legend
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 34

Harkin is a Cyclone... nuff said

Starter
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 512
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by herbiedoobie View Post
    I'm a member of several military forums, and am wondering if this is as big an issue back in Iowa, as it is here.

First, Harkin is on record as claiming to have Vietnam Combat Experience. Second, this is a lie. Harkin was a maintenance pilot, who flew F4s from Japan to the Phillipines. Regardless of what anyone thinks about Limbaugh (I don't think about him at all) how do Iowans justify repeatedly voting for a pathalogical Liar like Harkin? What kind of mental illness makes someone with a normally laudable service record (flying sick aircraft over the ocean is NOT for whimps) lie in public, about a subject that is so easily exposed as a lie.

It's bad enough that he is a proven liar, lying about military service, especially combat experience is the third rail within the military, so folks here just cannot understand why Iowans keep voting for the guy. I try to tell them about Iowa Schitty and Des Moines, as well as various tax gouges this guy brings to the state, but folks in the military take this stuff kinda personal, and do not understand the mindset that would cause people to pull the ballot box lever for him.

Is there someone here who is a Harkin "fan" that can 'splain some of this to me?
    (1) The trick is to get elected once, since incumbents win most of the time. This is true everywhere, but even more so in Iowa. Iowans do not like change. (2) People assume that politicians exaggerate their military experience and hence shrug it off. It seems that most political ads involving military records are at best misleading and at worst lies. We have very low expectations from our politicians.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    This whole Rush vs. the Democrats thing is pretty dumb. Rush said something that was taken out of context and now the "political game" is being played.

Maybe senators should be worrying about securing our border, health care costs, balancing the budget, etc instead of a political sparring match with Rush Limbaugh. But I guess that wouldn't make the news.
    I agree with you. However, I should point out that both sides are guilty of such crap. There was no point in the Petreyus/Betray-us debate either.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,166
    Given: 2,031

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post

This is fallout from the MoveOn/Petreaus battle. Some Dems are ****** that the Right Wing in the Congress forced through the condemnation of MoveOn for a silly advertisement, and are retaliating against Limbaugh.

I've lived in Iowa almost my whole life and been an astute political observer for 10+ years and this is the first time I've ever even heard that accusation against Harkin, so that would probably explain why it hasn't affected his election record.

Facebook Knows All
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I agree with you. However, I should point out that both sides are guilty of such crap. There was no point in the Petreyus/Betray-us debate either.
    You are 100% correct. Each side is equally as guilty.

Part of me wants some real change in our government and part of me wants to just become apathetic and ignore everything. The problem is that real change won't happen because people are too apathetic to do anything about it. And the politicians know it.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 272
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It is sad that most of the US expects politicians to lie. I think those two words are actually synonyms now.

Another reason why we have to get rid of the "my vote doesn't count" attitude. We, as voters, need to step up and show the world that we are tired of what is going on in politics!

Just in case you didn't know... I'm a girl.

Facebook Knows All
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 4VR4CY View Post
    Another reason why we have to get rid of the "my vote doesn't count" attitude. We, as voters, need to step up and show the world that we are tired of what is going on in politics!
    We really need someone outside of the political world with big-time $$$ to run. 1, that money will give him/her a legitimate shot. And 2, it will give people an option to get away from the "typical politician".

This is one reason I'm for Fred Thompson. Although he still has ties to politics, he is not embedded in it.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,112
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 28

Quote Originally Posted by herbiedoobie View Post

probably because A.) nobody's ever heard of this, and B.) it doesn't really matter anyway.

And "folks in the military" tend to lean right, so they probably can't understand voting for Harkin in the first place. ;)

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

First of all Harkin is not a Cyclone. Please, bite your tongue. And Harkin's claims of flying combat missions over Vietnam was not an "exaggeration". He's "corrected" his public military record twice, each time retreating from a discovered (and only when his lie is exposed by an independent third party) and concrete lie.

I attended ISU from 1982-87, but I don't claim to have started for the football team. To claim that I was a top-notch student is an exaggeration. To claim to have started for the football team would be a lie.

One of the most interesting aspects of the Petraeus/Betray Us ad is the extremely deep discount the NYT gave to MoveOn.Org in order to run it.

I've been following closely the proliferation of "phoney soldiers" that the opponents of the Iraq War have been using to support their "case." I find it instructive that it is a continuation of the Dan Rather "The facts may be a lie, but the story is true" mantra....

There are STILL people who believe that military poseurs have good points, and speak the truth, despite being poseurs. The good news is, it is now a crime to pose as being a "war hero" under certain circumstances.