Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

I am happy/This team is headed in the right direction

I am happy the way we looked this past weekend. We had good productivity and it seemed pretty good except of course for the turnovers. Another problem I've noticed is our red-zone scoring. It seems to be more field goals than I think should be. Anyways, it is good to see productivity from a team "with 5 D1 football players". Although we're sitting at 1-4, I can promise you an upset this year, because Chizik is going to make sure this team is mistake free by the time his previous employer rolls into town. We are headed in the right direction, unlike our Eastern counterparts.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,169
    Given: 602

Re: I am happy/This team is headed in the right direction

I really agree with that. So far, while some of the competition hasn't been the best, they still have had every opportunity to be 5-0. They looked like they belong on the field with Nebraska. And that's the third? year under Callahan? I feel like they have a shot in almost every game if they can put it together and play mistake free. It's going to be a fun season to watch.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 445
    Given: 309

It is his 4th year and he is not moving too fast.

HuskerExtra.com - Lincoln, Nebraska - Huskerextra - Football

Last edited by Wesley; 10-02-2007 at 10:34 PM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,165
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 8

I like that I haven't seen the team quit yet. Not once. I've seen mistakes. Plenty of them. But I haven't seen quit in this team.

That mentality will win games for us eventually. We just don't have the talent and experience now to overcome and avoid mistakes. It'll happen.

When you're 1-4, that's all you can ask for. Steady improvement, and playing hard.

I'm excited to be a Cyclone football fan!

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Omaha.com Sports Section
    ISU Football: Chizik likes ISU's direction
    BY STEVEN PIVOVAR
    WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Gene Chizik is a bottom-line kind of guy.

So anyone trying to point out the positives in Iowa State's first month under Chizik is likely to get the same answer.

"We're 1-4," Chizik said. "That's not where I envisioned to be nor where I want to be."

The Cyclones dropped to 1-4 with Saturday's 35-17 loss at Nebraska. Glass half-full Iowa State supporters can take pride in the fact that the Cyclones ran a school-record 102 plays against the Huskers, outgained them 415-369 and had 11 more first downs. Fans used to getting blown out in trips to Memorial Stadium saw Iowa State with a chance to cut Nebraska's lead to four points heading into the fourth quarter.

All that is nice, Chizik admits, but it doesn't take away from the fact that the Cyclones are 1-4 heading into Saturday's game at Texas Tech.

"We had some small victories in the game," Chizik said, "but we were too inconsistent all the way around."

A month into the season, Chizik has already lost more games than he did the previous three as the defensive coordinator at Auburn and Texas. Prospects for an immediate turnaround look slim as Iowa State's next four games are against Texas Tech, Texas, Oklahoma and Missouri. Things could get worse before they get better.

But Chizik is convinced that they will get better.

"There are a lot of things about this football team that really encourage me," Chizik said at his weekly press conference on Monday. "I think the future is really bright here even though we've had some really grim weeks and we could have more. But I see some key ingredients that will lead to success here, whether that comes this season or down the road.

"It's been hard to start 1-4. In that regard, I'm very excited. Am I happy, as the head coach, to be 1-4? No. Am I happy with the direction this thing is headed? Very much so."

The Cyclones might be able to hasten that progress if they could find a way to clean up the turnover problems that have plagued them. Iowa State suffered four more turnovers — three interceptions and one fumble — in the loss to Nebraska to push its season total to 15 (eight interceptions, seven fumbles).

One of the interceptions that Bret Meyer threw Saturday proved to be the pivotal play of the game. Iowa State was driving late in the third quarter and, with a touchdown, could have cut Nebraska's lead to 21-17. Instead, linebacker Bo Ruud picked a tipped ball out of the air and returned it 93 yards to push the Huskers' lead to 28-10.

"One word can describe every loss — turnovers," Chizik said. "We have them every game and they've played a huge role in why we're 1-4."

Iowa State ranks 111th nationally in turnover margin at minus-1.60 per game.

"This game is real simple: You get turnovers and you don't give the ball up, and that gives you a chance to win," Chizik said. "It's hard to get three turnovers in a game, like we did against Nebraska. That was another one of those small victories for us. We got three turnovers.

"But we give up four. That's 200-year-old football right there. You turn it over, you won't win."

In an attempt to solve the turnover problem, Iowa State coaches will study each and every one of the Cyclones' 15 giveaways this week.

"We have to look at every one of them and why they happened," Chizik said. "We have a young tailback in there early in the game when we're driving the ball. We run an option and we pitch the ball and the young tailback drops it. What's the answer for that? Get a better guy back there, I guess.

"But those are some of the things we need to look at. We need to figure out why they're happening and what we can do to get better."

Creating a sense of urgency for improvement is the schedule that toughens decidedly during the second month of the season. First up is Texas Tech, which leads the nation in passing (523.6 yards per game), total offense (610.4 yards per game) and scoring (54.6 points per game).

Texas Tech quarterback Graham Harrell leads the nation in total offense (457.2 yards per game) and is sixth in passing efficiency. Two of his receivers — Michael Crabtree and Danny Amendola — rank first and seventh nationally in receptions per game.

Chizik had success against the Red Raiders' offense the past two seasons as Texas' defensive coordinator.

"The thing we stressed in those games is to put pressure on the quarterback," Chizik said. "With those teams, we had a lot of depth in the secondary and we could do different things. It will be a little different here because we don't have the same amount of depth.

"We're going to have to be creative in other ways. Conceptually, I know what needs to be done because I've done it. But you have to mix in the whole picture as to who's available to get it done."

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

From where I sit, relatively far away, I've seen nothing inconsistent with a strong, relatively inexperienced leader building a good team. And I'm talking about the coaching team, here, as much as the football team. And that was precisely what I believe we hired Coach Chizik to do for Iowa State.

Time will tell, if he becomes successful in the long term, but at least he is not making himself "Special Teams Coach" and doing other idiotic things like that, that inhibit developing a good team at the coaching level.