Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 185
    Given: 139

Cyclone FB Culture ?

Some friends and I were talking this morning about how happy and excited cyclone fans, myself included, are to be going to a bowl game. They are big name school fans that cant understand how we are happy at 6-6 and bowling while they are at 9-3 or 8-4 and upset about their season.

I thought about this and dont really have a problem w/ it. My point to them is that what weve been through as a fan base and what were up against year in and year out that 6-6 is awesome while obviously more wins would be great we can live w/ it. Then we were talking about how KSU who was a doormat for years is now losing their minds when they dont win 9-10 games a year.

Am I a bad fan for being happy w/ what the team has accomplished and perfectly fine if we never play in a bsc bowl game? Will this change as our fan base gets younger and is more use to winning?

Starter
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 485
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 14

Re: Cyclone FB Culture ?

Quote Originally Posted by bringmagicback View Post
    Some friends and I were talking this morning about how happy and excited cyclone fans, myself included, are to be going to a bowl game. They are big name school fans that cant understand how we are happy at 6-6 and bowling while they are at 9-3 or 8-4 and upset about their season.

I thought about this and dont really have a problem w/ it. My point to them is that what weve been through as a fan base and what were up against year in and year out that 6-6 is awesome while obviously more wins would be great we can live w/ it. Then we were talking about how KSU who was a doormat for years is now losing their minds when they dont win 9-10 games a year.

Am I a bad fan for being happy w/ what the team has accomplished and perfectly fine if we never play in a bsc bowl game? Will this change as our fan base gets younger and is more use to winning?

If they were in ISU's shoes they would be happy too

Commitment To Excellence

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 839

Unless they also faced such a SOS with two new QBs in only the third year of a new coach, then I am not sure why they do not understand.

Legend
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,222
    Given: 2,306

You already see this with some of the BB fans who started being fans in the early 2000's. They remember the unprecedented success of that time and have an expectation that success of that level should be a given for Iowa State teams. There are a lot of schools who would like to be playing the second week of the tourney every year, but realistically there are only 16 teams who do it in any one year so an expectation of maintaining that year in and year out is unrealistic.

Expectations will grow, and that is okay. That is what any coach and AD worth his/her salt wants. But when your historical high point becomes the new every year expectation, is when it gets out of hand in my opinion.

I have a buddy who is a huge Raiders fan. When a certain coach went from the Raiders to kNU I mentioned to him that the coach was going from one fan base with unreasonable expectation to another fanbase with unreasonable expectations. His comment was that he didn't have unreasonable expectations. And then he laid out that he expected his Raiders to go to the Super Bowl every year and win it at least every other year. He couldn't understand how he had exactly made my point.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Starter
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 485
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    You already see this with some of the BB fans who started being fans in the early 2000's. They remember the unprecedented success of that time and have an expectation that success of that level should be a given for Iowa State teams. There are a lot of schools who would like to be playing the second week of the tourney every year, but realistically there are only 16 teams who do it in any one year so an expectation of maintaining that year in and year out is unrealistic.

Expectations will grow, and that is okay. That is what any coach and AD worth his/her salt wants. But when your historical high point becomes the new every year expectation, is when it gets out of hand in my opinion.

I have a buddy who is a huge Raiders fan. When a certain coach went from the Raiders to kNU I mentioned to him that the coach was going from one fan base with unreasonable expectation to another fanbase with unreasonable expectations. His comment was that he didn't have unreasonable expectations. And then he laid out that he expected his Raiders to go to the Super Bowl every year and win it at least every other year. He couldn't understand how he had exactly made my point.
    I can probably say he spoke for the minority of Raider fans

Commitment To Excellence

Addict
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 190
    Given: 102

The culture will change though. It's a given. Look at what happened to McCarney. Rhoads will have to take us to that next level to not be in the same shoes as Mac was in his last couple of years. I can guarantee you that in 10 years, if all we have done is 6-6, 7-5 as the best and you pepper in a couple of 3 or 4 win seasons, the masses will get restless.

It has been said that winning is sometimes a coaches downfall because people's expectations rise. But it's a simple fact, in today's environment, you either win or you go.

All that being said, I think if Rhoads can get us to a 9 or 10 win season at some point and eliminate blow-out losses, he won't need a BCS berth to be able to call his own shots here as long as he wants. The key is to remain on the winning side the majority of the time and keep from having winless Big XII seasons. .

Pro
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 725
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 102

A few simple questions for said sports fan...

1. Did they beat their in-state rival in triple OT?
    2. Did they beat the #2 team in the nation?
    3. Were "the experts" picking them to win 2, maybe 3 games this year?

Hell yes, ISU fans have something to be excited about. Not to mention what was stated above about about a 3rd year coach and 2 new QB's.

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 98
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 32

The culture of ISU FB is in a slow and steady transition. We can celebrate a 6-6 season because we don't see too many of them. We are not an elite program that can gather enough four and five-star players to set the world on fire. CPR is doing what he can with what he has...and a damn find job at that.

What makes our 6-6 season so exciting is that we had a couple of major upsets to thrive off of; i highly doubt it would have been equally as exciting if the teams we beat had losing or break-even records or were of a lesser conference. I do believe, at some point if we keep having 6-win seasons, they will grow stale. We will demand to see greater output in the way of 7-, 8- or 10-win seasons. If/when said seasons are achieved, we too will see anything less as a mediocre or even a bad season. I'm not trying to be a cynic on our program, it's just how college football fans work, IMO. They want wins, they want high-profile bowl games, they want publicity.

Cyclones | Vikings | Royals | Red Wings

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 421
    Given: 125

Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post

I started really following ISU basketball in 1996, and admittedly fall into this camp.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Rookie
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 811
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

I've always thought (maybe rationalized) that it's actualy more fun to be an Iowa State football fan than some big name like Ohio State or OU. For fans of the big name schools they go into every game expecting to win and are really demoralized if they end up losing a game - or even if they win but it was close. We I-State fans go into every game with an open attitude just hoping to pull off the win but at least keep it a good game. We remain pleasently surprised while they are set up for potential heart-ache.

I've also always said that you can't be a 'fair weather fan' at Iowa State because there isn't that much fair weather!

Now, I'm not saying that I don't want this to change. And I think with Rhoads, his new contract, and the facilities improvements we have a strong potential of moving into contender status!

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CP44 View Post
    I can probably say he spoke for the minority of Raider fans
    As a raider fan myself I will 2nd this. Im happy if they come near the playoffs. However Im younger and besides the superbowl against TB I havent seen them have much success.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bgprest View Post
    I've always thought (maybe rationalized) that it's actualy more fun to be an Iowa State football fan than some big name like Ohio State or OU. For fans of the big name schools they go into every game expecting to win and are really demoralized if they end up losing a game - or even if they win but it was close. We I-State fans go into every game with an open attitude just hoping to pull off the win but at least keep it a good game. We remain pleasently surprised while they are set up for potential heart-ache.

I've also always said that you can't be a 'fair weather fan' at Iowa State because there isn't that much fair weather!

Now, I'm not saying that I don't want this to change. And I think with Rhoads, his new contract, and the facilities improvements we have a strong potential of moving into contender status!
    Thats exactly what I think. If it werent for the *** whoopings and beatdowns would we really appreciate our wins against OSU and TX? Its kinda what makes me a fan is those times when all hope is lost and our teams rise above. I dont want to win 9-10 games if we turn into crybabys that cant apprectiate what we have and only ***** about what we dont.

Starter
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 9

It's the old cliche: Winning changes culture. Period.
    There is nothing else that will change the fans expectations more or less than winning (or lack there of). But it's moreso winning than losing; for example like the previous poster mentioned KSU. They were horrible for a long time, then had a decade or so of success and now they expect success. NU can continue to be above average for years to come, but they will keep axing there coaches until they get back to the national spotlight (yes I believe Pol-meany is on the hot seat). Iowa fanbase is the same way. 7-5 and complaining more than ever.
    To put it simply: Everyone wants a taste, but once you get a taste you expect more.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 421
    Given: 125

This crossed my mind the other day. If ISU was able to reach even an Iowaesque level of success, would it start to become less fun?

IMO, an Ohio State/Texas level wouldn't be as fun. Winning would be always expected, and losing would just be awful.

I think Iowa's at the best level for fans. Win more than you lose every single year, but not be so dominant that you can still enjoy the thrill of an upset.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 302
    Given: 0

Winning breeds apathy. Due to ISU's history, Ames is a fairly apathy free zone when it comes to football. The high's are higher, the low's are more easily handled.