Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 0

$146 million wasted on travel by government

This why taxes should be cut and kept low. The government wastes A LOT of money. There are instances brought up everyday. NBC news used to have a weekly article called "The Fleecing of America". The government has waste, waste, and more waste and all of that money is generated by taxes. Higher taxes only encourage more government spending and, in turn, more government waste.

Report: Millions wasted on gov't travel - Yahoo! News

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 275
    Given: 38

Re: $146 million wasted on travel by government

Yep, this is exactly why we should send them less money! These people are taking advantage of the taxpayers. At least in a private business you have some accountability.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Speechless
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,393
    Given: 655

Yeah, it's pretty much rampant. I will oppose ANY new spending measure or tax increase for the rest of my life, until the government starts behaving responsibly. I have no problem with the amount of taxes that I pay. If they were used efficiently and for reasons that are constitutionally valid, I'm ok with it. I'm not one to knock the military in general, but here's yet another example. The amazing part is that it was actually caught.

Bookkeepers Wanted: Pentagon investigators discovered in August that a small South Carolina company fraudulently collected $20.5 million in shipping costs, including one invoice of $999,798 for sending two washers (cost: 19 cents each) to a base in Texas. According to Bloomberg News, the Defense Department was said to have a policy of automatically and unquestioningly paying shipping bills labeled "priority." [Bloomberg News, 8-16-07]

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If they cut all this waste, your taxes could go down 50% and still fix this SS mess. And just image what an extra 20% of your weekly wages in your pocket would do to the economy...McMansions for all!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    If they cut all this waste, your taxes could go down 50% and still fix this SS mess. And just image what an extra 20% of your weekly wages in your pocket would do to the economy...McMansions for all!
    But we don't have the common sense to spend our own money. The government should do it for us

Addict
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 599
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Perhaps the government should be held accountable for money by a privitized group that is incentivised for finding wasteful spending. The problem is that the government can't hold itself accountable for it's own spending (including the GAO). The fox is guarding the hen house at many levels of the government.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post
    Perhaps the government should be held accountable for money by a privitized group that is incentivised for finding wasteful spending. The problem is that the government can't hold itself accountable for it's own spending (including the GAO). The fox is guarding the hen house at many levels of the government.
    Great idea. I will do it, and I will only charge the government 40 billion a year. I promise I will find at least 41 billion in wasteful spending.

Addict
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 599
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Great idea. I will do it, and I will only charge the government 40 billion a year. I promise I will find at least 41 billion in wasteful spending.
    Point taken.

But look at large cooperations. They are watched by accounting firms and SEC very carefully, especially in the wake of Enron. I know at the company I work for (Fortune 400), you can't spend a penny anymore without some accounting and approval. The government should be treated no differently than a large company.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post
    Never gonna happen my friend. You would be taking power away from those who will do anything in their power to get more. But that would be my first order as president. Vote BrianHos in 2012!

Last edited by brianhos; 10-02-2007 at 07:52 PM.

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 439
    Given: 866

Never gonna happen my friend. You would be taking power away from those who will do anything in the power to get more. But that would be my first order as president. Vote BrianHos in 2012!
    you have my vote!

-keep.

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 237
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Never gonna happen my friend. You would be taking power away from those who will do anything in the power to get more. But that would be my first order as president. Vote BrianHos in 2012!
    I am not voting for you, I heard you punch kittens.

All-Star
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I work for the federal government, and I won't argue with your assessments that the government wastes a lot of money. And trust me when I say that just about every federal government agency is having its budget cut dramatically in the last two years. I work for the USDA, and no new employees have been hired in Iowa the last two years and our travel budget has been cut big time. This is all well and good, but we end up losing our most experienced people to retirement, and can't train people to replace them effectively. Meanwhile, taxpayers are paying more to fund the war in Iraq...that's where the money is being wasted!

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JJ4ISU View Post
    I work for the federal government, and I won't argue with your assessments that the government wastes a lot of money. And trust me when I say that just about every federal government agency is having its budget cut dramatically in the last two years. I work for the USDA, and no new employees have been hired in Iowa the last two years and our travel budget has been cut big time. This is all well and good, but we end up losing our most experienced people to retirement, and can't train people to replace them effectively. Meanwhile, taxpayers are paying more to fund the war in Iraq...that's where the money is being wasted!
    I have perceptions of how government wastes money, other than the obvious loss from being a unbelievably huge behemoth. I have known and/or talked to several people who work for either federal or state agencies, and you can confirm or deny this as you wish.

Case in point: I knew a gal who worked for one of the state universities. From what she said, every year they would scrape by on as little as they could all year long. Then in June, I believe, when their budget was about to renew, they would spend like crazy on anything they could think of, to make sure that their budget wasn't cut for the next year because of extra money left on the table. Multiply this simple practice by about a gabillion government agencies, and you have an absolute ton of waste. It's something that occurs in private corporations too, but here the sheer ridiculous size of our government multiplies it to astronomical proportions. One more reason to limit the size of government.

I have speculated at that type of thing happening with the DOT too. It always seems a little fishy when the road crews are out on the highway, tearing out small sections of perfectly good road, and then filling it back in again. I suppose it could be something wrong that my untrained eye cannot see, but it certainly makes me wonder.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by JJ4ISU View Post
    True dat! The American government is HUUUGE, that large number of wasteful spending becomes a little bit more understandable when you divide the number of people, services, and organizations actually included in that budget.

There are surely some people who really abuse the system, but the majority of that spending comes from minor cost additions in day to day routine. Just a few dollars here and there, but it really adds up for the nations largest employer over 365 days.

Why don't I worry about tax cuts? The government is made up of more than senators and congressmen who throw away money at will. Tax cuts hurt the normal workers and researchers who are employed by the government more than it hurts the fat cats. I will never vote for a tax cut... What is a couple extra hundred dollars a year going to do for me? Not nearly as much as a couple hundred from me and the rest of the nation going towards beneficial research to fight disease and poverty. Its not about taking money away.. Its about making sure our leaders are competent and have a clear direction and know how to accomplish these goals.

Kinnick smells like syrup.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

CP, I have worked for the government, and what you say is true. In my experience, our department "threw out" around $15,000 for items which were unnecessary luxuries. This seems ridiculous, but based on budget that I heard surpassed a million dollars it is hardly something worth getting in an uproar about. I don't think it's so much about the budget being reduced (I think its evaulated every year depending on costs you will likely incur, not costs from your previous fiscal year), its really about the money being there at your disposal, instead of letting it go back into the government to be regurgitated, spend it on something you may need, or something that would help you next year in case the funds aren't there for you. It wasn't like it was being spent on lcd tv's for the lunchroom.

Kinnick smells like syrup.