Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 968
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

new cpr contract HAS to be good for recruiting right?

with college coaches jumping ship after only one year (pitt coach) and athletic directors firing coaches after only 2 years (KU) it has got to be a huge benefit to see the stability that this contract implies.

if i were a potential scholarship athlete, the first question i would ask my recruiting head coach, "will you be here 5 years from now"? the second question, "is this your dream job, and if not, what is?"

now cpr can honestly say
    -yes
    -yes

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 389
    Given: 315

Re: new cpr contract HAS to be good for recruiting right?

Quote Originally Posted by theyork View Post
    with college coaches jumping ship after only one year (pitt coach) and athletic directors firing coaches after only 2 years (KU) it has got to be a huge benefit to see the stability that this contract implies.

if i were a potential scholarship athlete, the first question i would ask my recruiting head coach, "will you be here 5 years from now"? the second question, "is this your dream job, and if not, what is?"

now cpr can honestly say
    -yes
    -yes

It is absolutely golden for recruiting. Even if most coaches answer "yes, yes," would you believe them? CPR is one of the few coaches whose answer is actually believeable. Even in Iowa, it is no contest about who you going to believe more, Ferentz or Rhoads.

All-Star
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 889
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 104

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    It is absolutely golden for recruiting. Even if most coaches answer "yes, yes," would you believe them? CPR is one of the few coaches whose answer is actually believeable. Even in Iowa, it is no contest about who you going to believe more, Ferentz or Rhoads.
    As a cyclone fan, I don't think you can necessarily question Ferentz's commitment to Iowa.

Starter
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 4

$3.86M would make me loyal also! Not saying KF isnt but he has plenty to persuade him. Along w/coaching his sons & keeping them in same school system until they are out of high school. I feel CPR has a lot more loyalty to ISU than KF does to UI

All-Star
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 968
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Dopey View Post
    As a cyclone fan, I don't think you can necessarily question Ferentz's commitment to Iowa.
    agree on that. seemed in the early 00's his name popped up for nearly every big coaching gig out there. NFL and College. yet there he remains, and likely will until he turns into the next raisin face. this is what has crippled us, coaching turnover. well, that and zero tradition in winning.

coach mac was certainly loyal and bled c and g but was definitely fading in terms of talent/wins and energy within the program and unfortunately did need to move on. then the chiz fiasco hurt pretty badly. now, hopefully, finally we have a coach whose heart is in it AND can bring us to consistent winning.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Dopey View Post

Ferentz had repeated left his name out there for consideration for lot of jobs. Maybe he is committed. I can't tell that for sure. The fact that he has stayed much long than average speaks toward his commitment, especially when he has had other opportunities. Maybe he is just leveraging the other things to get more money. Yet, as a father whose son was being recruited, I would not trust him to stay anywhere near the way I would trust Rhoads.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 750
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 72

Ferentz had repeated left his name out there for consideration for lot of jobs. Maybe he is committed. I can't tell that for sure. The fact that he has stayed much long than average speaks toward his commitment, especially when he has had other opportunities. Maybe he is just leveraging the other things to get more money. Yet, as a father whose son was being recruited, I would not trust him to stay anywhere near the way I would trust Rhoads.
    KF has a really sweet deal right now, and I do not see him going anywhere. Makes almost $4 million thanks to leveraging himself as a possible candidate for every high profile job that was out there in the last 10 years. At some level I think his agent started the rumors just to keep the pot stirring. At this point he has himself priced out of the market. No one is going to pay over $4 million dollars for a good but not great coach, which is all he really is.

I am surprised that CPR basically doubled his pay. Not saying he is not worth it, but that is a huge increase. Makes me think that someone like Pitt came with a offer close to this and JP just matched it to stop all the CPR is going to whatever school just fired their coach rumors that seem to erupt every week. I also do not know the details of the contract and how much of the $20 Million is tied to performance bonus, etc. or if it has built in annual raises.

Addict
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,623
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 225
    Given: 165

Of course it helps, not only can he tell incoming freshman NOW that he'll be there all 5 years for them. He can tell incoming freshman in 2016 that he'll be here for them for 5 years!! Does wonders when you know your coach is ALL IN.

ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

HOI-BALL!!!

Legend
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

CPR has been at ISU for 3 years and signed a 10 yr deal. Ferentz has been at Iowa for what, 12 years? And his contract is for another 8? Something like that. And you are questioning his commitment?

Team Rainbo_

Quote Originally Posted by VikesFan4Ever28 View Post
    You have almost 5 crap tons.

Starter
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 490
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 9

IMO 10 years is a long commitment in the world of sports coaching. It shows ISU's commitment to CPR and vice versa...the question is will this translate to recruits showing there commitment to both as well?
    Time will tell.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 17

What I see in it is that when negotiating this deal, Rhoads wasn't forced to sign a 10 year deal. Coaches have much of the power in negotiations because they can up and leave with no consequences while if a school fires a coach they have to pay out the rest of his contract most of the time.

I'm sure the 10 years was a joint decision by Pollard and Rhoads to help send a message that the school wants Rhoads and Rhoads wants ISU.

We have already seen how recruiting has benefited under Rhoads. Someone was pointing out how many 2 stars we had in Rhoads first class compared to now, this year it is almost all 3 stars. For Iowa State, that is a big step up. Now that recruits can see that Rhoads will be here for a long time, seeing him win big/huge games and how much he loves his players, even better players will decide to play for Rhoads IF Rhoads can be more successful in the wins category.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 729
    Given: 486

Can't hurt...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 196
    Given: 118

Sure better than having this:

Weis' deal, future at Kansas a bit clearer - Big 12 Blog - ESPN

Charlie Weis:

"It's going to be a quick stop. It's going to be five years. That's the quick stop. I'm going to be here for five years, because my wife and I had planned for me to be working at Florida for the next five years and then try to be put in a situation where we can walk away. … What we're going to do here is we're going to go try to turn this program into a perennial winning program and then try to have it where one of the guys on this coaching staff takes over."

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    KF has a really sweet deal right now, and I do not see him going anywhere. Makes almost $4 million thanks to leveraging himself as a possible candidate for every high profile job that was out there in the last 10 years. At some level I think his agent started the rumors just to keep the pot stirring. At this point he has himself priced out of the market. No one is going to pay over $4 million dollars for a good but not great coach, which is all he really is.

I am surprised that CPR basically doubled his pay. Not saying he is not worth it, but that is a huge increase. Makes me think that someone like Pitt came with a offer close to this and JP just matched it to stop all the CPR is going to whatever school just fired their coach rumors that seem to erupt every week. I also do not know the details of the contract and how much of the $20 Million is tied to performance bonus, etc. or if it has built in annual raises.

I think he needed a longterm deal and at least $2m/year to quiet the storm. Again, I suspect that the money is going to be end-loaded, as well as the incentives, because Rhoads still wants the money now to go to the program (staff and facilities). I know some of you can't imagine someone doing this, but I think CPR is different. This program will be his legacy. Although the comparison fails at so many levels, he will be the next Bill Snyder of the Big 12.

CyBer

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAgronomist View Post
    Sure better than having this:

Weis' deal, future at Kansas a bit clearer - Big 12 Blog - ESPN

Charlie Weis:
    LOL at his quote, see ya Weis.