Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 354

Cornerback Recruiting

Looking through the lists, I noticed some interesting things...

I am pretty sure that the coaching staff is hoping to add one more high schooler. I was wondering whether, with Gary Simon reportedly visiting next month, they were putting a couple of other players on hold. Interestingly, Floridian William Watson still lists ISU as "high". However, much as with Kasseim Everett, the Sooners have now offered October visitor Kevin Peterson. along with Oregon State.

What is it? OU is just using CPR as a talent scout?

For that matter, the Sooners have a commitment from a player ISU looked at last year, IIRC, JUCO Chaz Nelson, who seems to have grown a couple of inches, and gotten much faster than he was listed when he visited Ames.

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

Pro
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Re: Cornerback Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post

I am pretty sure that the coaching staff is hoping to add one more high schooler. I was wondering whether, with Gary Simon reportedly visiting next month, they were putting a couple of other players on hold. Interestingly, Floridian William Watson still lists ISU as "high". However, much as with Kasseim Everett, the Sooners have now offered October visitor Kevin Peterson. along with Oregon State.

For that matter, the Sooners have a commitment from a player ISU looked at last year, IIRC, JUCO Chaz Nelson, who seems to have grown a couple of inches, and gotten much faster than he was listed when he visited Ames.
    I saw that Chaz Nelson to OU. I remember last year people were thinking he was a fall back option. I will never doubt a kid that Rhoads offers. So many of the kids he offers early end up getting blue blood offers. Nate Dortch, we were the first BCS offer, the kid ends up going to UNC until he got a Miami offer and went there, Jalen Mills we were the first BCS offer, now he's committed to LSU.

I agree that we probably want a HS CB. Gary Simon would be very nice to land. Rhoads has only missed on one recruit due to grades, I feel if we are making a push that he has a pretty good chance to qualify. The whole Will Watson thing is very weird. He looks talented enough, and at one point had a visit set up. If we "end" up with him I'd still be pretty pumped. Peterson is probably a long shot by now. I'm really interested if we stayed in the Everett race how we would have done. I feel we had a pretty good shot at him, but the staff obviously didn't think he was good enough to tell Stokes to wait on his commitment which makes me pretty pumped about Stokes. There's still some nice athletes with ISU offers out there: DJ Abnar, Vegas Harley, DaCarlos Renfro. To add to the trust Rhoads theory, Renfro is now getting interest from Miami after only having a BCS offer from ISU this whole recruiting year.
    Vegas Harley - Yahoo! Sports
    D.J. Abnar - Yahoo! Sports
    DaCarlos Renfro - Yahoo! Sports

Addict
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 872
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 13

Were in good hands at defensive back with Rhoads and Elliot. The best predictor of future success is the past. And we have had solid DB play.

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 895
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 18

I would be happy with about any of those guys!

KCCO

Follow me on Twitter: @datBASS3
    Follow Iowa State Drumline on Twitter: @ISUDrumline or on FB

Pro
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post

Whoa, wait. Are you trying to tell me that wsroghawks (sp?) is partially right? That schools will wait until a school will offer to see how good a player is then offer soon after?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 988
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by dualthreat View Post
    Were in good hands at defensive back with Rhoads and Elliot. The best predictor of future success is the past. And we have had solid DB play.
    It would be awesome if we could lock up our defensive coaches for at least another 3-4 years. I don't know how long Wally wants to continue, but keeping him on staff is huge. Anyone have a guess as to who our next DC would be? It seems like Elliot would be the logical choice?

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 66
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re:Cornerback Recruiting

I believe one of the reasons it took so long to get Rhoads' contract worked up was he wanted extensions for his assistants also. So, I believe we already have everyone locked up. Also, listening to CPR's interview he said that some of the focal points going forward with hiring a new OC are scoring more points and QB development. So, this could have been his way of saying we didn't renew Herman.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 634
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by FootballinTexas View Post
    I believe one of the reasons it took so long to get Rhoads' contract worked up was he wanted extensions for his assistants also. So, I believe we already have everyone locked up. Also, listening to CPR's interview he said that some of the focal points going forward with hiring a new OC are scoring more points and QB development. So, this could have been his way of saying we didn't renew Herman.
    Probably just his way of saying "we need to score more points".

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 66
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re:Cornerback Recruiting

"could"....but you are correct.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 354

Quote Originally Posted by Yes13 View Post
    There's still some nice athletes with ISU offers out there: DJ Abnar, Vegas Harley, DaCarlos Renfro. To add to the trust Rhoads theory, Renfro is now getting interest from Miami after only having a BCS offer from ISU this whole recruiting year.
    Vegas Harley - Yahoo! Sports
    D.J. Abnar - Yahoo! Sports
    DaCarlos Renfro - Yahoo! Sports
    Looking at Renfroe, his numbers remind me a lot of Kenneth Lynn...

I am going to share something that I was told years ago, by a friend who is also close to Dan McCarney. When Bobby Elliott left Mac's staff, my friend told me that the biggest loss wouldn't be Bobby's coaching ability (which is formidable), but his talent evaluation ability.

Quote Originally Posted by FootballinTexas View Post
    Sour grape much?

I realize that my info is a bit dated, but I know that all of the assistant coaches under previous regimes worked under two year contracts. So--assuming this is still true, why would renewing Herman have arisen...after year three?

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)