Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

New Yorker looking for someone to go to Pinstripe Bowl with

If anyone is going to the Pinstripe bowl and has an extra ticket or needs someone to go to the game with, please let me know. I live and work in New York and want to share the bowl experience with a fellow Cyclone fan. My wife is 8 months pregnant, so she won't be able to attend the game with me, and I don't know any ISU fans in the area. If you have an extra I would be willing to purchase your ticket if I can tag along, or if anyone wants to get tickets together and attend the game together, I would be up for that as well.

Please let me know as it depresses me dragging a friend who otherwise would not care about the game, or even worse, going to the game by myself.

I grew up in Ames and have lived in New York for 12 years, so I can show you around some non-tourist areas if you'd like...maybe not much an incentive, but if someone wants a local tour guide, would be more than willing to spend some time.

Please email me at whereisjkp@hotmail.com. My name is Joe.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 600
    Given: 302

Re: New Yorker looking for someone to go to Pinstripe Bowl with

Honestly, even if you can't find somebody to go with or don't want to bring a friend that doesn't want to be there, at least go by yourself. Bowl games are unlike any other. Whenever there is a mass migration of Cyclone fans to away football, basketball, or really any athletic event for that matter, there is always some special bond formed by all of those fans. You will be able to walk up to any ISU tailgate and be welcomed. You will find yourself cheering and talking with other ISU fans during the game.

It doesn't matter if you don't know anybody or not, it's just extra special when you're away from Ames and there are thousands of Cyclone fans congregating and cheering together. Just make sure you don't get stuck sitting in the Rutger section. Which is why you may want to purchase a ticket through ISU's allotment just to make sure you're surrounded by ISU fans.

Good luck.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 842
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 50

Is it me or is this awkward?

Addict
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 434
    Given: 362

Quote Originally Posted by twojman View Post
    Is it me or is this awkward?

This does sound a little like one of those "authentic Iowan in New York experiences," except for the part about him having a wife who is 8 month pregnant!

I concur with the idea of just buying a ticket in the Iowa State section. You are bound to be around people with whom you can enjoy the game. Unless you want to hang out before the game with the people with whom you will be sitting, just buy a ticket through the ISU ticket office, go to a tailgate, and enjoy the game with whomever is around you. And you will probably connect with some folks with whom you can go out after the game and relish in our victory.

Also, if you are from Iowa, you might want to say where you are from. This may attract some attention from someone who is also from there. Or if you are an ISU grad, tell us what major.

If your real name is Jerry Sandusky, please contact any of the Hawk trolls.

Edited because I didn't see the part about you being from Ames and being willing to be a non-tourist guide. I would think that someone would find this interesting. What sort of things would you recommend for a visitor to do?

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 617
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

For the record, I don't think it's awkward at all, especially on a site called "cyclonefanatic." I can relate to a certain extent b/c all of my good "cyclone lovin" friends don't live near me either. Every time there's a big game on, I usually have to take it in alone or try to convince friends to watch with me that could really care less. The OSU game was a perfect example of this. I couldn't make it down to Ames for that game and I ended up watching it solo. As the OP stated, sometimes you just want to share that type of experience with someone who has common interests and would be equally excited about the game.

I'd take you up on your offer if I was going, especially b/c of your local knowledge. That can be invaluable in the a big city like that. Unfortunately, I won't be making it out to the bowl game.

Last edited by Jonecy; 12-15-2011 at 11:32 PM.
    - Im not a spin my wheels type of guy." - Coach Paul Rhoads

Addict
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ph7QrEJAc&feature=related]Taken (2009) - Official Trailer HD Quality - YouTube[/ame]

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by Jonecy View Post
    For the record, I don't think it's awkward at all, especially on a site called "cyclonefanatic." I can relate to a certain extent b/c all of my good "cyclone lovin" friends don't live near me either. Every time there's a big game on, I usually have to take it in alone or try to convince fans to watch with me that could really care less. The OSU game was a perfect example of this. I couldn't make it down to Ames for that game and I ended up watching it solo. As the OP stated, sometimes you just want to share that type of experience with someone who has common interests and would be equally excited about the game.

I'd take you up on your offer if I was going, especially b/c of your local knowledge. That can be invaluable in the a big city like that. Unfortunately, I won't be making it out to the bowl game.
    Ditto this, hopefully someone has an extra ticket and invite to tailgate. I'd be in the same situation if it were out west. Well, other then my wife isn't pregnant.

I don't do signatures. Blondes, brunettes, and red heads are a different story.

Addict
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 434
    Given: 362

Quote Originally Posted by simply1 View Post
    Ditto this, hopefully someone has an extra ticket and invite to tailgate. I'd be in the same situation if it were out west. Well, other then my wife isn't pregnant.

From what I can tell, there is an open invitation to any Iowa State tailgate that I've heard of. Certainly the one mentioned by TheCaptain. In fact, there have been open invitations by some of the Rutgers guys. Just buy a ticket and come to the game. Like others have said, it is a bowl game. Just make sure to buy your ticket through the Iowa State ticket office so that you are in the Iowa State section. Then, come to the pep rally and whatever happens on the day before. If you are willing to be a tour guide for some Iowans, make sure to show up at some of these early events and let people know.

Rookie
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 1

[QUOTE=BigAppleClone;2574794]If anyone is going to the Pinstripe bowl and has an extra ticket or needs someone to go to the game with, please let me know. I live and work in New York and want to share the bowl experience with a fellow Cyclone fan. My wife is 8 months pregnant, so she won't be able to attend the game with me, and I don't know any ISU fans in the area. If you have an extra I would be willing to purchase your ticket if I can tag along, or if anyone wants to get tickets together and attend the game together, I would be up for that as well.

Please let me know as it depresses me dragging a friend who otherwise would not care about the game, or even worse, going to the game by myself.

I grew up in Ames and have lived in New York for 12 years, so I can show you around some non-tourist areas if you'd like...maybe not much an incentive, but if someone wants a local tour guide, would be more than willing to spend some time.

Please email me at whereisjkp@hotmail.com. My name is Joe.[/QUOT

As mentioned earlier just go to the game or grab a freind and go. When we went to the Insight Bowl in 2001 our tickets were on the edge of the Cyclone section and we were right next to 4 guys from Tempe who going in did not have a favorite team and just bought their tickets at the stadium to see a good game.

It wasn't long and they were cheering for the Cyclones along with the rest of the Cyclone crowd. We had a great time with them and cheered the Cyclones to victory in a great game.