Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Bernie on Albert

If you are a CARDS fan, this is a pretty good read.

Bernie: Poor Albert had no choice

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 3

Re: Bernie on Albert

The Cardinals management had spent the last half decade low balling the best player in baseball. Yes 15 million a year is alot, until you see that Bobby Abreu is making more money. Pujols has nothing to feel sorry for. The Cardinals fans that feel he betrayed them torque me off. Yes he is better compensated than the average person. So is a AAA ball player. The fact was he was underpaid in his field. The first rule of any business is to keep your valuable employees happy, and that starts with the pay. Cardinals fans had this coming, and now they're indignant.

Starter
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 786
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by brett108 View Post
    The Cardinals management had spent the last half decade low balling the best player in baseball. Yes 15 million a year is alot, until you see that Bobby Abreu is making more money. Pujols has nothing to feel sorry for. The Cardinals fans that feel he betrayed them torque me off. Yes he is better compensated than the average person. So is a AAA ball player. The fact was he was underpaid in his field. The first rule of any business is to keep your valuable employees happy, and that starts with the pay. Cardinals fans had this coming, and now they're indignant.
    Rant done?

Who peed in your cheerios this morning?

Commitment To Excellence

Pro
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

Interesting read. I like Bernie a lot. No one knows the 'Birds better. I wasn't aware of the 30-minute courtship. It really makes you wonder if we really knew the real Albert.

Good luck under the microscope of the LA sports scene. I'm pretty sure they have more than 1 reporter covering the team. It's harder to project a false front to multiple people.

"Me not winning isn't important. You do!"

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,607
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 89

Quote Originally Posted by CP44 View Post
    Rant done?

Who peed in your cheerios this morning?

I don't think you can really call it a rant when everything he said was true and well thought out. If he was making blatant false accusations, I'd be right there with you, but everything he said is true.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up

So in that previous deal Pujols said "look, I'll take less money to make this team better"? He did? He accepted the deal a long time ago and it was LONG deal and he proved to be worth more than the deal he signed. The Cardinals then put a pretty good team around him and won 2 WS titles. Now, he wants to say it isn't about the money again. Well then why demand a contract that the Cardinals can't match? $21 mil a year until he is 41(?) isn't good money? Right. It was about the money and it's pretty obvious to anyone who doesn't have hate for the STL franchise.

Team Rainbo_

Quote Originally Posted by VikesFan4Ever28 View Post
    You have almost 5 crap tons.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

what about "if your a cards fan, this is a good read" did you not get?? Believe what you like, but I am happy the Cards are sitting on this end of that ridiculous 10 year contract. I'd also bet we win another WS before the Angels do.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyfan964 View Post
    I don't think you can really call it a rant when everything he said was true and well thought out. If he was making blatant false accusations, I'd be right there with you, but everything he said is true.
    Fans are torqued off because he said it wasn't about the money and he had every intentions of trying to be a Cardinal again. Well, those statements were clearly false.

Team Rainbo_

Quote Originally Posted by VikesFan4Ever28 View Post
    You have almost 5 crap tons.

Starter
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 786
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by rebecacy View Post
    what about "if your a cards fan, this is a good read" did you not get?? Believe what you like, but I am happy the Cards are sitting on this end of that ridiculous 10 year contract. I'd also bet we win another WS before the Angels do.

This. I'm not upset that he left. The only thing that bothers me is the entire time he said it wasn't about the money, but about winning.

But then after all, it ended up being about the money. Nobody in their right mind gives a 32 year old(could be older) a 10 year 254 million dollar contract.

The Cards even offered higher per year value, but it wasn't enough. The last 5 years of that deal will be horrid.

Commitment To Excellence

All-Star
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 198
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 19

You always feel the need to chime in on any and all Cubs threads, but get pissy when non-Cards fan chime in on yours? What a ******.

I am a patient boy. I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait...
    http://www.mapcon.com/US-EN/CMMS-Software

All-Star
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,025
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 8

There may have been a few Card fans that were indignant regarding AP, but the vast majority seemed to understand that it was a business decision on both sides. The ones that are mad at him for leaving would have been the first ones crying during the last 5 years of his contract when the Cards were completely hamstrung by paying $22-25mil/ plus to a 37 year old with declining talents and a broken down body. Albert was smart for taking the money and the Cards were smart for not giving it to him at an insane level. The only idiots in this transaction are the Angels, and if he delivers a ring or two, everybody wins.

Now, the part where I get a little ****** is when his wife goes on the radio and said they were insulted (or whatever term she used) by the Cards offer while Albert says it wasn't about the money, he just didn't feel committed to. Sweet baby Jerome, can we come off this crap? Take Artie's money, smile, and shut up. You don't need to appologize for signing a huge contract, but you don't need to lob any verbal grenades at the St. Louis organization for offering you what would have been the 3rd LARGEST CONTRACT IN BASEBALL HISTORY!! The Pujols are not politicians so it doesn't necessarily matter, but they look terribly out of touch with reality when they say stuff like that.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 569
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 33

Someone else doesn't like it either. Hitler Reacts to Pujols Leaving the Cardinals - YouTube

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Naughtius View Post
    Interesting read. I like Bernie a lot. No one knows the 'Birds better. I wasn't aware of the 30-minute courtship. It really makes you wonder if we really knew the real Albert.

Good luck under the microscope of the LA sports scene. I'm pretty sure they have more than 1 reporter covering the team. It's harder to project a false front to multiple people.
    I predict someday Albert will publically say, he made a mistake and he should have stayed in STL with the offer he was given. He just went to baseball 'purgatory'. (Baseball 'hell' is on the northside of chicago!!!)

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 14

I predict someday Albert will publically say, he made a mistake and he should have stayed in STL with the offer he was given. He just went to baseball 'purgatory'. (Baseball 'hell' is on the northside of chicago!!!)
    You know, I think he's got about 254,000,000 reasons to be ok with it.

Addict
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 141
    Given: 37

When he signed his original contract it was huge for the number of years he had in the majors, plus it was for $100MM.

If the Cardinals were playing in the AL and had the ability of having a DH, they would have given AP whatever he wanted. They just had to make a decision not to cripple their organization for the next decade by having the most expensive pinch hitter in the game.