Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 226
    Given: 0

2008 Big 12 Recruiting So Far

It's been kind of a weird recruiting season for '08 - ISU, as we know is done. There has been some concern on this board because we got the Buckley and Eik commits very early and we missed on some big guys. Trust me when I say, this is Big 12 wide. Kansas has missed on Terrance Henry now who elected to stay home and go to Ol' Miss. We may have missed some guys, but we have gotten some players over other major programs and, IMO, developing frontcourt depth was more important in 2008. Let's face it, the only real guy that we're going to miss in 2008 is Jiri, and I think we should be able to get a competant replacement in Thompson, Vette, or Hamilton. Regardless, we have 4 commitments at this point, and we know the staff was high on Buckley and Eik for a while or they wouldn't have offered him so early. Look at the commitments from other programs in the Big 12:

Kansas: Releford (top 75 or so)
    KSU: None
    Mizzou: A bunch of unrated guys - very similar to our class.
    CU: One unrated C.
    NU: None
    UT: None
    A&M: One unrated PG.
    Baylor: One unrated PF, top 100 SF.
    OU: Two unrated centers.
    OSU: One unrated PG.

Would I have liked to get a guy like Zeller or J'Mison Morgan in this class? Yes, of course. But the fact is, we aren't "falling behind" the rest of the big 12 so far with this class and all of us universally agree McDermott is a great basketball teacher and coach who will get the most of his players. Everybody misses on some big time recruits. There are only 2 top 100 players in the class, and no top 50 guys in the entire Big 12. Kansas will probably get some, maybe KSU will nab one of theirs, and Texas will likely get some good players. The fact is though this coaching staff has worked it's butt off to get commitments from 12 players in the last two years including Haluska and Peterson. They are building up a program the right way. Will we compete for Big 12 championships with these guys? I have no idea. I do know that this coaching staff is excellent and deserves our trust though. I'm really looking forward to basketball this year and in the future.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,731
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

Re: 2008 Big 12 Recruiting So Far

We aren't falling behind but we aren't gaining an advantage either. I like this 2007 class and think it will produce some suprises but you can never have too many good players on a team so hoping we don't continue to miss on some big recruits down the road.

Go Cubs Go!

Starter
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 9

Wow, you're absolutely right. I had checked the '07 commitment lists, but I hadn't even looked at '08. It would've been nice if we could have landed a blue-chip or top 100 player, but I think we've addressed our needs and kept up w/ the joneses so to speak. A&M has a pretty solid class w/ 2 top 100's and a 3 star, but otherwise it didn't look like any other B12 team has a better recruiting class yet.

I was looking at who has interest in us for the '09 class and I noticed we are in on 6 of rivals preliminary top 100. That's definitely a good sign.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Like I said, I would agree with you. We missed on a heck of a lot of guys we wanted. However, we did get some other guys we DID want - and if you look, most schools done have more than 1 player and 3 schools don't have any. The list of guys that Kansas missed on is a mile long, and they are the premier program in the Big 12. I'm just saying, you can't get everybody you want and I'm excited about the program, AND, the struggles we're having are going on everywhere. Back in the day before the internet and recruiting services, we probably never would have known who we missed on and we'd be thrilled with these guys. I'm thrilled with them.

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

i think kansas will probably get j'mison morgan and somebody else. Im glad that greg monroe isnt considering them anymore. Texas will probably get their share as well. Once we start performing really well on the court we will start winning more recruiting battles against the likes of wisconsin, texas, kansas and anybody else. I think this will begin with 09 with maybe locett and definetely with 2010

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 334
    Given: 422

We may have a problem with one of our 2007 incomming freshman. I will keep you updated as soon as I hear something.

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    We may have a problem with one of our 2007 incomming freshman. I will keep you updated as soon as I hear something.
    There's been scuttlebutt about Brackins missing some classes, but I may have heard that wrong.

Legend
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

There's been scuttlebutt about Brackins missing some classes, but I may have heard that wrong.
    It's not him. It's CJ Brutan situation all over again. Hopefully there is nothing to it. I will just say "he lives on the second floor".

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    It's not him. It's CJ Brutan situation all over again. Hopefully there is nothing to it. I will just say "he lives on the second floor".
    At least this clue is a bit easier.

That'd really hurt us hard.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Why can't people just come out and say what they mean on this board. Jesus.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 77.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 789
    Given: 519

Just tell us and say it is a rumor - this is only a forum.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Will we be able to handle the truth? What is the truth behind the C.J. Bruton story? Did he get a fair shake or did the systems fail? Who is responsible for his name being withheld from the roster and the academic records?
    Surely, he is not. He wanted to become a Cyclone, a member of the team, a member of the community and a member of the student population. He tried and tried as he has all his life. If you do not believe me, check out last Sunday's Des Moines Register.

Marc Hanson did a story on the life of C.J. Bruton, a young Australian man who wanted a chance at becoming part of the American collegiate scene, but instead was tossed aside because of a technicality. This technicality is he had taken a handful of cash a few years ago to play for a team in his homeland. A handful, no million-dollar contract, no Nike shoe deal -- nope, just a few dollars. Because of this, his path in life has been altered forever.

Why do we stress kids stay in school, then go and close the gates in this young man's face? I do not blame C.J. for his actions. I blame the NCAA for not following through on America's pledge to educate our kids. Why do I say this? Because not only was C.J. a basketball player, he also wanted to further his career as a student.

He had already graduated with an associate degree from Indian Hills Community College. College, signifying his intentions on being a student and an athlete.

I want you, the reader, to remember back to last year. Who did the university support despite a number of criminal charges? Who did they reinstate after Tim Floyd suspended him? Why did they reinstate him? He had obviously been in violation of some NCAA rule. Why? In my opinion, they wanted to WIN. They wanted to take this team to the big dance, the big payoff -- as did we all, even if we had to bend a few rules along the way.

I blame Iowa State for not fighting hard enough for this man's future, not only as a basketball player but as a student. Why should the university fight so hard for this young individual? Fight for him because he can make you truckloads of cash while sporting your precious logo. Fight for him because he is still young. He has his whole future ahead of him. Do not stand idlely by and allow his dreams to be crushed due to this minor infraction.

ISU should have fought the hell out of this one. They screwed up. They know it. And sadly, C.J. knows this also. C.J. will move on. Our team will move on. We all will move on. And ISU will move on with another black eye to its name.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If this is Staiger we're talking about, we just can't catch a break.

Legend
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

It is Staiger and it involves a club team in Europe. Don't get all out of joint. It's just a rumor at this point. It also is something that we will probably take care of if it's not already if there is anything to it.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I'm pretty sure its about staiger. Have anything more kg-cyclone?