Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Prospect
    Points: 3,291, Level: 16
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    16
    Points
    3,291
    Level
    16
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Visit to 9/11 Memorial while in NY for bowl

    just an fyi....if you are interested in seeing the 9/11 Memorial while you are in Ny for the bowl game, you have to have a reserved pass. They are free however there aren't many passes available. I've been checking daily & today they just opened up some for Dec. 31st. That's the only day after CHristmas that has been available since I started making our plans a week ago. Here's the link if you are interested....

    National September 11 Memorial & Museum | Ticket Selection



  2. #2
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 13,813, Level: 35
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 237
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    278
    Points
    13,813
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Visit to 9/11 Memorial while in NY for bowl

    Do they have a "crap that was in Bin Laden's cave when they shot his ***" exhibit yet?

    I mean, we should celebrate the resolution as much as we mourn the tragedy, right?



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 119,805, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Cycsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,538
    Points
    119,805
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 434
    Given: 367

    Re: Visit to 9/11 Memorial while in NY for bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by 5clones View Post
    just an fyi....if you are interested in seeing the 9/11 Memorial while you are in Ny for the bowl game, you have to have a reserved pass. They are free however there aren't many passes available. I've been checking daily & today they just opened up some for Dec. 31st. That's the only day after CHristmas that has been available since I started making our plans a week ago. Here's the link if you are interested....

    National September 11 Memorial & Museum | Ticket Selection


    Thanks. That was a fantastic tip. We really appreciate it.



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 57,284, Level: 74
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,266
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    MissouriCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Posts
    3,195
    Points
    57,284
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Visit to 9/11 Memorial while in NY for bowl

    Got our group's booked for the 31st at 6:30. Should be interesting to see.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 116,424, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CysRage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,314
    Points
    116,424
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 541
    Given: 437

    Re: Visit to 9/11 Memorial while in NY for bowl

    Bump! I just checked it again today and they must have opened more spots because every day at just about every time is available! We just booked for the 29th at 4:15 if any Cyclones want to join us!


    Last edited by CysRage; 12-14-2011 at 05:53 PM.
    ďI told you, I donít care if youíre black or white. I donít care if youíre rich or poor. I donít care where you come from, whether itís Texas, Florida, California, or right here in the state of Iowa, I donít care about any of thatÖ But what I did care about is moving forward from that day on, that we were one team." -Paul Rhoads

  6. #6
    Rookie
    Points: 18,095, Level: 41
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 855
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    jr4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    356
    Points
    18,095
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Visit to 9/11 Memorial while in NY for bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by CysRage View Post
    Bump! I just checked it again today and they must have opened more spots because every day at just about every time is available! We just booked for the 29th at 4:15 if any Cyclones want to join us!
    Thanks!, booked 8 of us the 29th at 4:30...wasn't room at 4:15 for 8



  7. #7
    Starter
    Points: 21,637, Level: 44
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Jeffreyisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    807
    Points
    21,637
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 20

    Re: Visit to 9/11 Memorial while in NY for bowl

    Thanks for posting that! Just booked ours for 12/31 at 10am.



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 119,805, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Cycsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,538
    Points
    119,805
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 434
    Given: 367

    Re: Visit to 9/11 Memorial while in NY for bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffreyisu View Post
    Thanks for posting that! Just booked ours for 12/31 at 10am.

    We have the 31st at 2pm.



  9. #9
    Prospect
    Points: 1,009, Level: 8
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    shadetree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    southeast iowa
    Posts
    12
    Points
    1,009
    Level
    8
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Visit to 9/11 Memorial while in NY for bowl

    Thanks for the tip Rage. I was so bummed when earlier I tried and there were no openings. Looks like multiple openings everyday. I am in the 28th at noon



  10. #10
    Prospect
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Visit to 9/11 Memorial while in NY for bowl

    Even if you don't get tickets to the new memorial, it's still worth a trip to Ground Zero and see the following:

    Construction of 1 WTC (aka the Freedom Tower) - it's the tallest structure in NYC

    Visit the Tribute WTC Visitor Center at 120 Liberty Street across from Ground Zero - it's free

    Visit St. Paul's Chapel of Trinity Church at 211 Braodway across from Ground Zero - it's free and contains some touching tributes from 9/11. George Washington also worshiped here.

    Walk through Zuccotti Park between Trinity Place and Broadway - it's really a plaza, but you can say you saw the home base of "Occupy Wall Street"

    Walk south on Broadway and visit Wall Street - Stop by the Federal Hall National Memorial. George Washington was inaugurated as President here. Across the street is the NY Stock Exchange

    Walk further south on Broadway and visit Bowling Green Park - Take a picture with the "Charging Bull" bronze statue. You used to be able to go right up the statue, but the police surrounded it with crowd control barriers in the fall to keep the "Occupy WS" folks from damaging it. Not sure if the barriers are still there.

    Walk further south on Broadway to Whitehall St and go to the southern tip of Manhattan - Take the Staten Island Ferry. It's free and offers THE BEST photo opportunities of Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty and the skyline of lower Manhattan. Once the ferry arrives in Staten Island, you disembark and board another ferry for the return trip to Manhattan. Allow about an hour for the round trip. The S.I. Ferry is better than taking a ferry from Battery Park to visit Liberty Island, especially since the statue is closed to visitors for the next year.



  11. #11
    Starter
    Points: 26,317, Level: 49
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 233
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cobraclone71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    738
    Points
    26,317
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 9

    Re: Visit to 9/11 Memorial while in NY for bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvNY View Post
    Even if you don't get tickets to the new memorial, it's still worth a trip to Ground Zero and see the following:

    Construction of 1 WTC (aka the Freedom Tower) - it's the tallest structure in NYC

    Visit the Tribute WTC Visitor Center at 120 Liberty Street across from Ground Zero - it's free

    Visit St. Paul's Chapel of Trinity Church at 211 Braodway across from Ground Zero - it's free and contains some touching tributes from 9/11. George Washington also worshiped here.

    Walk through Zuccotti Park between Trinity Place and Broadway - it's really a plaza, but you can say you saw the home base of "Occupy Wall Street"

    Walk south on Broadway and visit Wall Street - Stop by the Federal Hall National Memorial. George Washington was inaugurated as President here. Across the street is the NY Stock Exchange

    Walk further south on Broadway and visit Bowling Green Park - Take a picture with the "Charging Bull" bronze statue. You used to be able to go right up the statue, but the police surrounded it with crowd control barriers in the fall to keep the "Occupy WS" folks from damaging it. Not sure if the barriers are still there.

    Walk further south on Broadway to Whitehall St and go to the southern tip of Manhattan - Take the Staten Island Ferry. It's free and offers THE BEST photo opportunities of Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty and the skyline of lower Manhattan. Once the ferry arrives in Staten Island, you disembark and board another ferry for the return trip to Manhattan. Allow about an hour for the round trip. The S.I. Ferry is better than taking a ferry from Battery Park to visit Liberty Island, especially since the statue is closed to visitors for the next year.
    Is this the church that didn't have a single window break and it sat roughly 100 yards away from the towers. I remember going to a small church that was literally right across from the towers but I can't remember the name of it. There is a ton of neat/eerie/painful stuff to see in there. I remember when they said that the church was undamaged after the attacks I just had shivers run down my spine. Crazy stuff.



  12. #12
    Prospect
    Points: 2,369, Level: 13
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    RUNYYFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Dayton, NJ
    Posts
    39
    Points
    2,369
    Level
    13
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Visit to 9/11 Memorial while in NY for bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by cobraclone71 View Post
    Is this the church that didn't have a single window break and it sat roughly 100 yards away from the towers. I remember going to a small church that was literally right across from the towers but I can't remember the name of it. There is a ton of neat/eerie/painful stuff to see in there. I remember when they said that the church was undamaged after the attacks I just had shivers run down my spine. Crazy stuff.
    Yes. That's the church.


    Rutgers Athletics Gallery

    Want to follow me? [Twitter] [Facebook]

    Fear is the dark room in which negatives are developed. - Anon.

  13. #13
    Prospect
    Points: 3,291, Level: 16
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    16
    Points
    3,291
    Level
    16
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Visit to 9/11 Memorial while in NY for bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvNY View Post
    Even if you don't get tickets to the new memorial, it's still worth a trip to Ground Zero and see the following:

    Construction of 1 WTC (aka the Freedom Tower) - it's the tallest structure in NYC

    Visit the Tribute WTC Visitor Center at 120 Liberty Street across from Ground Zero - it's free

    Visit St. Paul's Chapel of Trinity Church at 211 Braodway across from Ground Zero - it's free and contains some touching tributes from 9/11. George Washington also worshiped here.

    Walk through Zuccotti Park between Trinity Place and Broadway - it's really a plaza, but you can say you saw the home base of "Occupy Wall Street"

    Walk south on Broadway and visit Wall Street - Stop by the Federal Hall National Memorial. George Washington was inaugurated as President here. Across the street is the NY Stock Exchange

    Walk further south on Broadway and visit Bowling Green Park - Take a picture with the "Charging Bull" bronze statue. You used to be able to go right up the statue, but the police surrounded it with crowd control barriers in the fall to keep the "Occupy WS" folks from damaging it. Not sure if the barriers are still there.

    Walk further south on Broadway to Whitehall St and go to the southern tip of Manhattan - Take the Staten Island Ferry. It's free and offers THE BEST photo opportunities of Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty and the skyline of lower Manhattan. Once the ferry arrives in Staten Island, you disembark and board another ferry for the return trip to Manhattan. Allow about an hour for the round trip. The S.I. Ferry is better than taking a ferry from Battery Park to visit Liberty Island, especially since the statue is closed to visitors for the next year.
    Thanks for all the other suggestions! I really appreciate all the great advice that's been posted. We were in New York for a Red Sox-Yankee game this summer & had a wonderful time so we're looking forward to going back.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 119,805, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Cycsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,538
    Points
    119,805
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 434
    Given: 367

    Re: Visit to 9/11 Memorial while in NY for bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    We have the 31st at 2pm.

    I thought we had the 31st at 2pm, but today I looked at our tickets and saw that they are for 12/13, not 12/31. Either I made a mistake in typing or they screwed me. Check your tickets to see if it happened to you. I will call tomorrow and see if I get them fixed.



  15. #15
    CyBer
    Guest

    Re: Visit to 9/11 Memorial while in NY for bowl

    My girlfriend is in NY right now, told me she is having a blast. I just don't want her to go in any elevators.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM