Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: James Harrison

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

James Harrison

I am not a Steelers or Browns fan, but I am getting tired of James Harrison going to the helmet on people and thinking there is nothing wrong with it. I realize it is football, and the rules have changed to protect the players more. But his blatant disregard for the rules are putting other players in jeopardy. He needs a multiple game suspension.

Pittsburgh Steelers' James Harrison -- hit on Cleveland Browns' Colt McCoy not worthy of fine from NFL - ESPN

Pro
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,086
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 23

Re: James Harrison

NFL players don't have to play if they don't want to.....They put themselves out there, so they assume the risk of being hit....

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 515
    Given: 794

See I am the exact opposite. Football is about hitting and if you can't take the hitting go play soccer. Helmet to helmet in my opinion is a dumb rule just like horse collaring. Most of the time as a defender you don't intend to go helmet to helmet but do to the offensive player shifting to avoid the tackle you get put in positions where helmet to helmet happens even though it wasn't the intent (Perfect example was against Iowa a couple years ago when LJ went to tackle Moiaki (Sp?), LJ was going low and Moiaki dipped his shoulder thus causing helmet to helmet)

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up

Yeah, I agree sometime the helmet hits are incidental. But sometimes they can be avoided. The rule is in place, I don't think he should blatantly disregard the rule because he doesn't agree with it. If I don't agree with a rule at my workplace, I suck it up and live with it, or I break it and get reprimanded or Fired. If I repeatedly break the rule I get fired.

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,263
    Given: 113

Quote Originally Posted by ccyclonepower25 View Post
    I am not a Steelers or Browns fan, but I am getting tired of James Harrison going to the helmet on people and thinking there is nothing wrong with it. I realize it is football, and the rules have changed to protect the players more. But his blatant disregard for the rules are putting other players in jeopardy. He needs a multiple game suspension.

Pittsburgh Steelers' James Harrison -- hit on Cleveland Browns' Colt McCoy not worthy of fine from NFL - ESPN

this. Whether he likes it or not, the NFL decides what the rules of the game are, and whatever they are, that's football. It's not a democracy. They decide. It's their call. People can complain that it's ruining the game, but in the end, the NFL makes the decision, and the game of football becomes whatever they decide.
    The recourse for the player? Go play in Canada. The recourse for the fan? Don't watch. And neither of those things are happening any time soon.

Harrison doesn't have to agree with the rules, but he does have to abide by them, or face the consequences. If fines aren't doing the trick, then maybe suspensions will. He can play the insolent tough guy card til he's blue in the face, and the only people who will get hurt are his teammates, his fans, and himself.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 122
    Given: 254

The hit on Colt wasn't as bad as I thought. I don't feel like he lowered his head very much on the hit. but when the helmet does meet the helmet of a qb you have to know they will flag you. I love watching the guy play but he really needs to figure out how to hit big with some other parts of his body

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUKyro View Post
    The hit on Colt wasn't as bad as I thought. I don't feel like he lowered his head very much on the hit. but when the helmet does meet the helmet of a qb you have to know they will flag you. I love watching the guy play but he really needs to figure out how to hit big with some other parts of his body
    The problem I have with it is that there is no reason he could not have lead with the shoulder there. Seemed to intentionally lead with the helmet to me.

Last edited by ccyclonepower25; 12-12-2011 at 07:53 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,676
    Given: 169

Harrison is a cheap shot artist, plain and simple. I don't always agree with the rules nowadays, but he knows the rules and constantly disregards them, and for that he deserves a suspension because fines don't matter to millionaires.

Addict
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 671
    Given: 7

I can't stand the guy. You may not like the rule but that is not an excuse to habitually violate it. They need to start suspending people...

Addict
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,355
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 295
    Given: 392

Quote Originally Posted by isufbcurt View Post
    See I am the exact opposite. Football is about hitting and if you can't take the hitting go play soccer. Helmet to helmet in my opinion is a dumb rule just like horse collaring. Most of the time as a defender you don't intend to go helmet to helmet but do to the offensive player shifting to avoid the tackle you get put in positions where helmet to helmet happens even though it wasn't the intent (Perfect example was against Iowa a couple years ago when LJ went to tackle Moiaki (Sp?), LJ was going low and Moiaki dipped his shoulder thus causing helmet to helmet)
    I don't get it when people say that helmet to helmet should be allowed. It's not worth all these guys getting brain damage that shows up later in life.

"But letís see if the Cyclones can give everyone a nice big ****burger to eat. Opportunity awaits." -Brent Blum

"I am the one who knocks" -Walter White

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 196
    Given: 118

Problem I have with these hits (intentional or not) is it knocks players like Ellis Hobbs out of the NFL.

Addict
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 35

I think the NFL needs to take a hard stand because maybe next time he does hit somebody, he might get seriously hurt. Then he or his family will probably sue the NFL for allowing him to keep doing this.

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,214
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures50000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Don't care, I remember signing up to play football. It was to hit people. That's what Harrison signed up for. When they change the rules to where you can kinda hit people in certain areas, and even less areas if they are a special position, I'm on Harrison's side and he should take the shots and do as he was taught and what he was paid huge amount of money to do.

If the NFL doesn't want hits, either give them all flags or make it two-hand touch. It's getting to be a bunch of ********.

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up

Maybe he should quit if he doesn't like the rules. Seriously...If you want to play in the NFL play by the rules. He is not the rule maker. I like how people think he can do whatever he wants. What a load of crap.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,676
    Given: 169

Harrison gets one game suspension for his hit on Colt Mccoy. Glad they finally stopped with the fines and get on to something that might actually get his attention eventually.