Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 252

Only 95 Wrestling teams remain

Their are only 95 wrestling teams left in Division 1. I was curious about this because I wanted to google how many volleyball teams we beat out to get to the Elite 8. 322 womens teams for the record. So my question is this. Is it really that impressive to win a National Title anymore with so few teams. I am guessing it's way harder to win a volleyball championship. Also why are their so few wrestling teams?

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217
    Given: 831

Re: Only 95 Wrestling teams remain

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    Also why are their so few wrestling teams?
    Because it's wrestling?

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 476
    Given: 909

Their are only 95 wrestling teams left in Division 1. I was curious about this because I wanted to google how many volleyball teams we beat out to get to the Elite 8. 322 womens teams for the record. So my question is this. Is it really that impressive to win a National Title anymore with so few teams. I am guessing it's way harder to win a volleyball championship. Also why are their so few wrestling teams?
    Is it really that impressive to win a conference title in football or basketball? I think so and that is only against 9-15 other teams. Being better than all of the other 95 teams is still impressive and something of which to be proud.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 3

Interesting you should mention a women's sport with the demise of wrestling. The answer in short is Title IX, and its legal interpretations.

Legend
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 252

I agree with you Brett. However, I think their are less and less kids wanting to wrestle these days. It might help that MMA is growing and a lot of wrestlers go on to be MMA guys. However, one day at a kids wrestling meet is enough for me to know I thing a lot of things need to change in order for more kids to like it. My son wreslted for 2 years. It was a horrible experience. They treat 5 and 6 year olds like nothing else in the world should matter except wrestling. Kids get burnt out quick and quit before they hit 10 years old.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Starter
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Wrestling is in ISU's blood. We have 8 NCAA championships, over 1,000 dual meet wins, 65 individual champions and 8 Olympic gold, silver and bronze medals. It is very important.

ISU won the NCAA men's gymnastics title but that program was dropped soon after.

ISU volleyball could put a championship trophy in the case soon.

ISU needs to properly fund both programs to build potential championship teams.

Pro
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,232
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 2

well of course it is, most wrestlers are way too short to play volleyball.

Let Me Mayor Coach!

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyforce View Post
    well of course it is, most wrestlers are way too short to play volleyball.
    A team full of liberos...

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,142
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19

I only count 78 here: NCAA Sports Sponsorship . I'm not sure what the discrepancy is.

In case anyone was wondering, you can apparently have a division championship (like the div I wrestling championship) as long as there are at least 40 schools sponsoring the sport. The minimum is 50 for a new sport but 40 for those existing in 1993-94. If it fell under 40, they'd have to combine with one or both lower divisions for the championship. According to the link above, Div II has 55 and Div II has 88.

Addict
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 287

Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    Is it really that impressive to win a conference title in football or basketball? I think so and that is only against 9-15 other teams. Being better than all of the other 95 teams is still impressive and something of which to be proud.

I doubt that LSU will take any pleasure in being the best of the Division I BCS football teams because there are only 120 of them.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Wrestling doesn't make programs money. They cut it because of title 9. Volleyball is a major women's sport and doesn't cost the program all that much. Plus you HAVE to have a number of women's sports according to title 9 and volleyball is a pretty popular one.

Team Rainbo_

Quote Originally Posted by VikesFan4Ever28 View Post
    You have almost 5 crap tons.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It is unbelievable how much taking for granted of a historically successful ISU sport there is on this board.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,142
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19

Quote Originally Posted by leroycyclone View Post
    Wrestling is in ISU's blood. We have 8 NCAA championships, over 1,000 dual meet wins, 65 individual champions and 8 Olympic gold, silver and bronze medals. It is very important.

ISU won the NCAA men's gymnastics title but that program was dropped soon after.

ISU volleyball could put a championship trophy in the case soon.

ISU needs to properly fund both programs to build potential championship teams.
    +1. I don't see ISU dropping wrestling anytime soon for the reason above, plus:

1. ISU seems to be in reasonably good shape from a budgetary standpoint.
    2. ISU is well in compliance with Title IX. If a sport needed to be dropped for some reason (which seems unlikely) it could just as easily be a women's sport.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Actually, this makes it harder to win wrestling National Title. In volleyball (or pretty much any other sport) the highest level talent is split amongst more teams, and the next tier as well, and so on down the line. In wrestling, with there on being 95 teams, there is a smaller amount of options for top tier talent to choose from when being recruited. Hence, each team of those 95 teams is stronger than they would be if there were 322 teams, thus making winning a National Title very difficult.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye11en1 View Post
    Wrestling doesn't make programs money. They cut it because of title 9. Volleyball is a major women's sport and doesn't cost the program all that much. Plus you HAVE to have a number of women's sports according to title 9 and volleyball is a pretty popular one.
    But with only about what, 9 scholarships (?), it isn't terribly expensive either. And, if I remember correctly, it is about scholarship opportunities so there are only 9 women's scholarships you need to offset the sport.

All of these things play a part, but the lack of support for the sport in general around many parts of the country plays a larger part in wrestling's decline in my estimation.