Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 17,114, Level: 39
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    668
    Points
    17,114
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Iowa Hawkeye Radio Talk show Meltdown

    For you central Iowa radio listeners, today was big time hawkeye melt down radio on WHO and KXNO. It was very entertaining. Yes the hawkeyes have been below average for the past two years and now this year is also bleak, but today's reaction was a joke. Deace dedicated nearly his entire three hours to it from 4-7 and the KXNO guys did the same. I understand Iowa has had very respectful success with Fry and Ferentz(sp), but please, Uof Iowa is not USC, Ok, Tex, Florida State, Ohio State, Michigan,et al. I will grant you, Iowa has had good years with Fry and Ferentz, but nearly every time they played a big time bowl game, they were blasted, i.e. Orange Bowl and Rose Bowls. My point is this. Iowa is not a big time college football program and this current melt down is no big deal. An actuary will say there is a reversion to the mean,which means back to average statistical numbers. I think this is happening.



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 170,755, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    SplitIdentity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    8,185
    Points
    170,755
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 21

    Re: Iowa Hawkeye Radio Talk show Meltdown

    I believe there was similar melt down under McCarney in Clone nation.


    The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 96,058, Level: 96
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 992
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,205
    Points
    96,058
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa Hawkeye Radio Talk show Meltdown

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernHawk View Post
    I believe there was similar melt down under McCarney in Clone nation.
    McCarney did not match the success of Ferentz, I'll certainly give you that. But, the current state of negativity in Hawkeyeland is pretty incredible. If you look at the back half of the schedule, the easiest games are backloaded. So a six win season is certainly not out of the question. Will that placate Iowa fans?



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 65,928, Level: 79
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 522
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Rogue52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    5,945
    Points
    65,928
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 4

    Re: Iowa Hawkeye Radio Talk show Meltdown

    I don't listen to Deace's show but isn't he suppose to be doing political talk now?

    Dedicating the whole show to Hawkeye callers might upset the WHO programming chief.



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 114,786, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUAlum2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    15,701
    Points
    114,786
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 121

    Re: Iowa Hawkeye Radio Talk show Meltdown

    What do you guys think of the booing issue that Jon Miller brought up today? He hammered the boo-birds pretty hard today and spent a lot of time on the subject, smattered throughout the hour that I happened to listen to.

    Fans, especially Iowa fans, shell out big bucks just for the right to pay for season tickets. This isn't like spending $5 to see your local high school team play.....this is big money that is being spent. In essence, these are our state's pro teams since we don't have any actual pro teams to follow.

    I don't encourage booing amateur athletes, and in fact, the chants for Austen Arnaud (and against Bret) were disgusting to me. I wanted to go over to that student section and choke some of them. I'll boo officials and occasionally the opposing team as they enter the field (mainly Iowa/Nebraska/OU), but I don't boo otherwise.

    Your thoughts?

    BTW, I highly doubt that Deace spent much, if any, time on talking about Iowa football today on his show. While watching that game, there wasn't much to discuss. Just plain horrible.



  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 46,019, Level: 66
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 931
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    3,797
    Points
    46,019
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 17

    Re: Iowa Hawkeye Radio Talk show Meltdown

    Quote Originally Posted by ketelmeister View Post
    McCarney did not match the success of Ferentz, I'll certainly give you that. But, the current state of negativity in Hawkeyeland is pretty incredible. If you look at the back half of the schedule, the easiest games are backloaded. So a six win season is certainly not out of the question. Will that placate Iowa fans?
    I think pulling 4 wins out of that hat with the injuries they have had plus the new loss of Sandeman(sp?), broken arm I think. I at best can find 3 and that is counting 2 teams they lost to last year in NW and MN. I hate to be using the injury card on the Hawks but man they have lost a lot on the offensive side and didn't have much this year in the secondary to begin with. We could end up with a better end of season record this year than them if we can get to 4.


    "It is the nature of man to rise to greatness if greatness is expected of him."
    John Steinbeck

    XBOXLive: MNclone
    PS3: JHudd23
    Twitter: JasonAH

  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 65,928, Level: 79
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 522
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Rogue52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    5,945
    Points
    65,928
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 4

    Re: Iowa Hawkeye Radio Talk show Meltdown

    Quote Originally Posted by ketelmeister View Post
    McCarney did not match the success of Ferentz, I'll certainly give you that. But, the current state of negativity in Hawkeyeland is pretty incredible. If you look at the back half of the schedule, the easiest games are backloaded. So a six win season is certainly not out of the question. Will that placate Iowa fans?
    It's backloaded the last 3 weeks of the year. That is assuming they can beat Northwestern for the first time in 3 years and revenge last year's loss to Minnesota at home. Final game is the Big 11 championship game vs. Western Michigan.

    I don't see them winning anymore than 1 in the next 4 games. They very well could be looking at a 7 game losing skid. Normally, I'd say Iowa would get things together. But the stubborn coaching staff along with injuries isn't going to be turning anything around.



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 80,935, Level: 88
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,015
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jumbopackage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,473
    Points
    80,935
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 10

    Re: Iowa Hawkeye Radio Talk show Meltdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue52 View Post
    I don't listen to Deace's show but isn't he suppose to be doing political talk now?

    Dedicating the whole show to Hawkeye callers might upset the WHO programming chief.
    If having Deace on the air doesn't upset the WHO programming chief, I doubt this will.



  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 46,019, Level: 66
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 931
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    3,797
    Points
    46,019
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 17

    Re: Iowa Hawkeye Radio Talk show Meltdown

    ^^^^ Weird, beat ya. (Rogue52 )


    Last edited by JHudd; 10-01-2007 at 11:01 PM.
    "It is the nature of man to rise to greatness if greatness is expected of him."
    John Steinbeck

    XBOXLive: MNclone
    PS3: JHudd23
    Twitter: JasonAH

  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 114,786, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUAlum2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    15,701
    Points
    114,786
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 121

    Re: Iowa Hawkeye Radio Talk show Meltdown

    Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    If having Deace on the air doesn't upset the WHO programming chief, I doubt this will.
    .....considering the WHO programming chief is the one who hired him.....



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 65,928, Level: 79
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 522
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Rogue52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    5,945
    Points
    65,928
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 4

    Re: Iowa Hawkeye Radio Talk show Meltdown

    Quote Originally Posted by JHudd View Post
    ^^^^ Weird, beat ya.
    Nice Analysis



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 44,848, Level: 65
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 702
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    mwitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,803
    Points
    44,848
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 5

    Re: Iowa Hawkeye Radio Talk show Meltdown

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    What do you guys think of the booing issue that Jon Miller brought up today? He hammered the boo-birds pretty hard today and spent a lot of time on the subject, smattered throughout the hour that I happened to listen to.

    Fans, especially Iowa fans, shell out big bucks just for the right to pay for season tickets. This isn't like spending $5 to see your local high school team play.....this is big money that is being spent. In essence, these are our state's pro teams since we don't have any actual pro teams to follow.

    I don't encourage booing amateur athletes, and in fact, the chants for Austen Arnaud (and against Bret) were disgusting to me. I wanted to go over to that student section and choke some of them. I'll boo officials and occasionally the opposing team as they enter the field (mainly Iowa/Nebraska/OU), but I don't boo otherwise.

    Your thoughts?

    BTW, I highly doubt that Deace spent much, if any, time on talking about Iowa football today on his show. While watching that game, there wasn't much to discuss. Just plain horrible.
    Could not agree more. I think booing your team and players is inexcusable. I don't care how much money you spent on your ticket. Unless you honestly think the players on the field are not trying, then shut up. Being booed by your home fans is going to hurt the problem more than help it.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 170,755, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    SplitIdentity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    8,185
    Points
    170,755
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 21

    Re: Iowa Hawkeye Radio Talk show Meltdown

    Quote Originally Posted by JHudd View Post
    I think pulling 4 wins out of that hat with the injuries they have had plus the new loss of Sandeman(sp?), broken arm I think. I at best can find 3 and that is counting 2 teams they lost to last year in NW and MN. I hate to be using the injury card on the Hawks but man they have lost a lot on the offensive side and didn't have much this year in the secondary to begin with. We could end up with a better end of season record this year than them if we can get to 4.
    Iowa's thin receiving corp. has lost 6 players, and the only experienced TE is down. Not to mention a completely new offensive line, and a new QB - and that spells disaster. I'm taking comfort in the fact that Iowa's offense isn't last in the nation - that's reserved for Notre Dame :D

    Such is life though - and it is very disappointing that the coaching staff hasn't seemed to adjust for this.

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    What do you guys think of the booing issue that Jon Miller brought up today? He hammered the boo-birds pretty hard today and spent a lot of time on the subject, smattered throughout the hour that I happened to listen to.

    Fans, especially Iowa fans, shell out big bucks just for the right to pay for season tickets. This isn't like spending $5 to see your local high school team play.....this is big money that is being spent. In essence, these are our state's pro teams since we don't have any actual pro teams to follow.

    I don't encourage booing amateur athletes, and in fact, the chants for Austen Arnaud (and against Bret) were disgusting to me. I wanted to go over to that student section and choke some of them. I'll boo officials and occasionally the opposing team as they enter the field (mainly Iowa/Nebraska/OU), but I don't boo otherwise.

    Your thoughts?

    BTW, I highly doubt that Deace spent much, if any, time on talking about Iowa football today on his show. While watching that game, there wasn't much to discuss. Just plain horrible.
    Agreed - I don't condone it, but when you pay $300.00 for a season ticket, you expect to be competitive, and beat low competition. Regardless of how good IU is, losing to 18 points to anybody at home (especially when it's happened 4 times in the past two years) is not acceptable.

    I personally wouldn't boo, but I can understand why others would.


    The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 170,755, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    SplitIdentity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    8,185
    Points
    170,755
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 21

    Re: Iowa Hawkeye Radio Talk show Meltdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue52 View Post
    It's backloaded the last 3 weeks of the year. That is assuming they can beat Northwestern for the first time in 3 years and revenge last year's loss to Minnesota at home. Final game is the Big 11 championship game vs. Western Michigan.

    I don't see them winning anymore than 1 in the next 4 games. They very well could be looking at a 7 game losing skid. Normally, I'd say Iowa would get things together. But the stubborn coaching staff along with injuries isn't going to be turning anything around.
    Unfortunately, I agree. The assistants have refused to make changes, and KF is refusing to make assistant changes.

    If this year is a bust, he's really putting his job on the line if he keeps the assistants around.


    The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 113,727, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    bellzisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Norwalk
    Posts
    6,444
    Points
    113,727
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 34

    Re: Iowa Hawkeye Radio Talk show Meltdown

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernHawk View Post
    I believe there was similar melt down under McCarney in Clone nation.
    Obsessed much..... No not you. A Hawkeye thread saying what happened with your fan base, and you had to flip it to us.. You do that every post almost lately. Don't like it... Don't read it.. Don't respond.

    Melt down for ISU, I wouldn't consider it that really. After 12 years it was more like time to move on then meltdown... We knew it was time, and we called in to support that opinion. You have to remember the difference between state fans and hawk fans. Even though we were predicted to contend last year, when things went slow at first we thought we would turn it around like 2004 and 2005. Then when that didn't happen, you knew after 12 years that Dan outlived his welcome and it was best for both to move on.

    I will say this though... If Iowa goes down the tubes again this year, like they are heading, I predict you will se alot of empty seats next year. Look at HN there are a bunch of people leaning toward not donating and buying seats.

    People complain about our ticket prices but lets see, when Iowa reshuffled their tickets, prices went sky high, donations were required. Now from what I hear, and no I'm not doing research, Iowa has the 4th highest ticket price and a bottom dweller team.

    ISU... Still not even near the middle of the pack in big 12, both price and product.


    GDMCC Member follow us on twitter @dmcyclub

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports Net
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. Texas Tech
  • November 22, 2014
  • 02:30 PM