Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Any Forestry Majors Here?

Just wondering if there are any forestry majors here or anyone have experience with this career field? I am a business major right now and while I enjoy it, I really can't see myself being happy long term working in an office environment and doing "business work" long term. That's why I am interested in doing a double major in something else. I think the business degree will be useful in just about any career field. I'm considering forestry because it is something that seems interesting to me and I love the outdoors/nature, especially mountains and forest. The idea of an office/desk job for 40 hours a week just does not get me excited about the future. I realize that the salary prospects aren't that great in forestry but I think being much happier and enjoying my work could make up for it. Anyone have any experience of input they could provide?

Thanks.

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 720
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 3

Re: Any Forestry Majors Here?

Quote Originally Posted by Cloned92 View Post
    Just wondering if there are any forestry majors here or anyone have experience with this career field? I am a business major right now and while I enjoy it, I really can't see myself being happy long term working in an office environment and doing "business work" long term. That's why I am interested in doing a double major in something else. I think the business degree will be useful in just about any career field. I'm considering forestry because it is something that seems interesting to me and I love the outdoors/nature, especially mountains and forest. The idea of an office/desk job for 40 hours a week just does not get me excited about the future. I realize that the salary prospects aren't that great in forestry but I think being much happier and enjoying my work could make up for it. Anyone have any experience of input they could provide?

Thanks.
    Are you up for joining the military? The jobs in the National Parks and Wildlife are given preferentially to former service members. I know several friends who applied and were basically told they would never get the job because military service was nearly a requirement.

Rookie
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 245
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 3

Business degree/Forestry?

Have you ever thought about owning a native plant nursery? If i had it to do all over again, I would of pursued it. When I was in college (never graduated) I just didn't know what I was goig to do or what my true interests were.

Starter
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 606
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Let me Major Forest!

Sorry. I am now very ashamed of myself.

There is plenty of non-government work you can do in nature, so studying it is worthwhile if you want to do ecological research, ag work, commercial foresting, or other things like that.

But the point about National forestry work? Yeah. Military service is the easiest route to pretty much any government job.

Then again, its a government job.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 247
    Given: 267

Get your Red Card and find a way to get on a fire crew in the summer. You will make pretty good money and great connections. There are many internships that can facilitate this. If you go this route, I would keep the business major as a hedge.

Recruit
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 259
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    Get your Red Card and find a way to get on a fire crew in the summer. You will make pretty good money and great connections. There are many internships that can facilitate this. If you go this route, I would keep the business major as a hedge.
    That sounds like it could be a lot of fun, what exactly is the red card you speak of.

Recruit
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 259
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brett108 View Post
    Are you up for joining the military? The jobs in the National Parks and Wildlife are given preferentially to former service members. I know several friends who applied and were basically told they would never get the job because military service was nearly a requirement.
    That is interesting, I didn't know they put that much emphasis on hiring ex-military people.

All-Star
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 622
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 86

I have a couple majors to plug on this thread. I did my undergraduate degree in Environmental Science at ISU. It was a small, just-starting major when I was there, but it has grown a lot since then. Most of my friends that had this major have jobs that where their time is about 1/3 to 1/2 outdoors.

If you want to make money, I'd recommend going into Agronomy. You can make a lot of money (easily more than an engineering degree) in a career that has you outside for much of the time - and, as you get older you can move indoors to desk job. Business experience in Agronomy is always a plus (think Pioneer Hybrid, Syngenta, etc.).

I am a graduate student in soil science. I spend most of my time indoors, but I go to the field to my research site quite often - enough for a pretty rad farmer's tan.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 247
    Given: 267

Quote Originally Posted by Cloned92 View Post
    That sounds like it could be a lot of fun, what exactly is the red card you speak of.
    The basic certification needed to be a federal wildland fire fighter. Google "red card and fire" and you will find numerous links providing detail, some even may have job opportunities.

Many forest service districts often have seasonal and temp positions that do not pay very well, but would get your foot in the door. If you do not have luck getting a job/internship with the USFS/Park Service/BLM directly, there are hundreds of opportunities (trail and conservation crews for example) that will provide you relevant experience and connections with-in those entities.

I would try USAjobs first (to apply directly to USFS/Park Service/BLM), and then SCA/AmeriCorps (which have relevant positions that partner with aforementioned governmental agencies).