Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 121
    Given: 123

KJ has unwavering confidence

Iowa State third-year coach Kevin Jackson has plenty of critics after the Cyclones finished 20th at the NCAAs last season, which was the program's worst finish since 1963, and have started this season 0-6 in dual meets.

Jackson, though, chooses to focus on other things.

Kevin Jackson is in his third season as head coach at ISU (Photo/Tony Rotundo, WrestlersAreWarriors.com)
    "If I paid attention to my critics, I would lose my mind," said Jackson, who served as National Freestyle Coach for USA Wrestling from 2001 to 2008. "If I read message boards, I would probably respond in a way that would hurt some of my fan base a little bit. But I understand because we're spoiled in a sense. I think for the most part many people don't recognize where we were at when I landed."

When Jackson landed in Ames in 2009 and was introduced as the program's seventh head coach, Cyclone Nation was still coping with the sudden loss of Cyclone icon Cael Sanderson, who left his coaching job at Iowa State to become head coach at Penn State.

more in article

InterMat Wrestling - ISU coach Jackson has unwavering confidence

All-Star
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 123
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 57

Re: KJ has unwavering confidence

Good article. But it made me wonder - training against the higher level Olympic guys is certainly providing a challenge for the team, but is it also contributing to all our injuries?

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Enjoyed the article as well. Nice to hear some perspective from the wrestling community at large. We Cyclone loyalists aren't just making excuses for the program, the informed objective outsiders can see the impact the coaching transition and subsequent loss of recruits and recruiting time as well. It most certainly is, as Coach Jackson said, "a process."

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 697
    Given: 772

He hasn't list my confidence, I tossed the CWC a supplemental donation on Monday.

Pro
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,284
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 4

I think he is feeling some pressure though to win. Every coach does. That I believe is the only reason you rush Kyven Gadsen back out to the mat with his shoulder in its current state. The same with Mike Moreno, who was not near 100% during the St. John match. Both of those guys healthy score this team points. I really think Moreno will give a lot of guys trouble at 157 if he can wrestle the way he wants to.

I hope Pollard realizes what it is going to take to get this program back on track. The only thing I wish we still had was Chris Bono working with out lighter guys. He seemed to really get alot out of his wrestlers in his time here, and our smaller guys can flat out use the help.

Pro
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,149
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 121
    Given: 123

I'm mixed on what to do with the light weight performance. It is do to the fact that the only real D1 wrestlers are Finch and Cozart. I think with Cozart, its just him, not motivated or something. Finch is doing what he is suppose to. He hasn't lost any matches when he was favored and beat Rupp.

I don't know enough about Yero to decide if he the right guy or not. But I wouldn't argue if KJ brought Nate Gallick or Sammie Henson in.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 874
    Given: 605

Quote Originally Posted by DantheFan View Post
    Enjoyed the article as well. Nice to hear some perspective from the wrestling community at large. We Cyclone loyalists aren't just making excuses for the program, the informed objective outsiders can see the impact the coaching transition and subsequent loss of recruits and recruiting time as well. It most certainly is, as Coach Jackson said, "a process."
    Like football and bball, how long a process is it? 5 years? 10 years? When do we get good?

Last edited by Wesley; 12-09-2011 at 03:23 PM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 330
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 42

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Like football and bball, how long a process is it? 5 years? 10 years? We do wee get good?
    Hitting it a little early today?

To answer the question (I think) as a season ticket holder, I look for us to be top 10 in DsM in 2013 and back to competing for national championships after that. This is the year where the lost recruiting classes were going to hit the hardest. Couple that with an unbelievable rash of injuries, and you have the results we're seeing.

KJ is a target right now, and we can argue about how much of it is justified. I will say that when he's had talent, he's done a good job with it. Varner and Reader were both blue chip recruits that had success under the previous regime, but they turned into beasts under KJ. Zabriskie turned the corner under him, and Andrew Long was on his way to being an all-timer before he screwed the pooch. Andrew Sorenson is somebody that has certainly progressed well under him as well. KJ is getting some very good kids to sign, and if they show up, they have a ton of potenial. The problem is, Iowa, Minny, Oky State, Penn State etc are all hauling monster recruiting classes as well. I've been a steadfast and patient supporter of KJ, but even if the worm turns and these kids turn into great wrestlers, there are no guarantees that there's a national title right around the corner. We'll need a ton of hard work combined with some good luck....we're sure due for the latter in the wrestling program.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Ditto on the good luck bit. These injuries are killer this season! Not saying we'd be a monster force or anything, but much more respectable if our starters were all healthy at once. Can't help but think back to two years ago and wonder "what if" when it comes to Gallick's injury. Would have have a very legit shot at the team title, but such is life I suppose.

Agree, we should be back to some semblance of respectability by the end of next season, and looking at the recruits it seems we should only keep building as long as KJ keeps bringing in Meeks and McCauley types.

Legend
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 697
    Given: 772

I agree about Bono. Having him in the room would have been a huge boost for guys like Finch.

Addict
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 513
    Given: 460

Quote Originally Posted by ca4cy View Post
    Hitting it a little early today?

To answer the question (I think) as a season ticket holder, I look for us to be top 10 in DsM in 2013 and back to competing for national championships after that. This is the year where the lost recruiting classes were going to hit the hardest. Couple that with an unbelievable rash of injuries, and you have the results we're seeing.

KJ is a target right now, and we can argue about how much of it is justified. I will say that when he's had talent, he's done a good job with it. Varner and Reader were both blue chip recruits that had success under the previous regime, but they turned into beasts under KJ. Zabriskie turned the corner under him, and Andrew Long was on his way to being an all-timer before he screwed the pooch. Andrew Sorenson is somebody that has certainly progressed well under him as well. KJ is getting some very good kids to sign, and if they show up, they have a ton of potenial. The problem is, Iowa, Minny, Oky State, Penn State etc are all hauling monster recruiting classes as well. I've been a steadfast and patient supporter of KJ, but even if the worm turns and these kids turn into great wrestlers, there are no guarantees that there's a national title right around the corner. We'll need a ton of hard work combined with some good luck....we're sure due for the latter in the wrestling program.

You're setting a dangerous precadent here. These opinions are related to objective analysis of facts. Hope it catches on.