Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 82,181, Level: 89
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,569
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    khaal53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,517
    Points
    82,181
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 1

    enCYCLONEpedia: Second Half Adjustments

    The improvement of the Cyclone defense has been talked about quite a bit over the past month. Because of that and a request from my site I put this together comparing the improved performance from the games 1-6 to games 7-12.

    I noted a lot of the interesting things (to me) but one thing I probably didn't point out is that the defense was far from terrible in the first 6 games for the most part (Missouri). They were faced with a lot of adversity due to the turnover prone offense and played very well to keep the team in games.

    All of that said, the improvement of the scoring defense was staggering and that is especially so when you consider the offenses in the second half of the season were much more high scoring.

    enCYCLONEpedia: Second Half Adjustments | Cyclone Fanatic

    I'd be interested in any comments and/or questions.




    I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 61,609, Level: 76
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyinCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, IA
    Posts
    5,450
    Points
    61,609
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 0

    Re: enCYCLONEpedia: Second Half Adjustments

    Quote Originally Posted by khaal53 View Post
    The improvement of the Cyclone defense has been talked about quite a bit over the past month. Because of that and a request from my site I put this together comparing the improved performance from the games 1-6 to games 7-12.

    I noted a lot of the interesting things (to me) but one thing I probably didn't point out is that the defense was far from terrible in the first 6 games for the most part (Missouri). They were faced with a lot of adversity due to the turnover prone offense and played very well to keep the team in games.

    All of that said, the improvement of the scoring defense was staggering and that is especially so when you consider the offenses in the second half of the season were much more high scoring.

    enCYCLONEpedia: Second Half Adjustments | Cyclone Fanatic

    I'd be interested in any comments and/or questions.
    That is a lot of data. But...One thing I think would be interesting to see is:

    First half versus Second half of season % of RedZone Appearances by our opponents that resulted in a stop by our D or FG instead of TD.

    To me, without having the data, that seemed like the most notable difference between the two halfs of the year. We became very good at defending against the TD in the redzone (while perhaps giving up a FG but often times this was the "best" outcome".


    ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

    Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 82,181, Level: 89
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,569
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    khaal53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,517
    Points
    82,181
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 1

    Re: enCYCLONEpedia: Second Half Adjustments

    Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post
    That is a lot of data. But...One thing I think would be interesting to see is:

    First half versus Second half of season % of RedZone Appearances by our opponents that resulted in a stop by our D or FG instead of TD.

    To me, without having the data, that seemed like the most notable difference between the two halfs of the year. We became very good at defending against the TD in the redzone (while perhaps giving up a FG but often times this was the "best" outcome".
    I can get that for you...but it may be later today.

    Thanks.




    I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 239,806, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9,226
    Points
    239,806
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 674
    Given: 479

    Re: enCYCLONEpedia: Second Half Adjustments

    Is there any data available for the opponents average starting position for drives? I'm willing to bet that the first half of the year, the opponents averaged starting their possessions much closer to the end zone than they did in the second half of the year after Barnett took over.



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 82,181, Level: 89
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,569
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    khaal53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,517
    Points
    82,181
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 1

    Re: enCYCLONEpedia: Second Half Adjustments

    Quote Originally Posted by klamath632 View Post
    Is there any data available for the opponents average starting position for drives? I'm willing to bet that the first half of the year, the opponents averaged starting their possessions much closer to the end zone than they did in the second half of the year after Barnett took over.
    If there is I'd like to know where. I've looked quite a bit and come up empty handed so far. It would be useful for what you describe as well as a few other areas that I'd like to tabulate.




    I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 406,135, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    60,551
    Points
    406,135
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 796
    Given: 528

    Re: enCYCLONEpedia: Second Half Adjustments

    The kickoff returns looked better the second half as we put our speedy backs in charge such as Horne and others. When Lenz was injured, it seemed we replaced him with the dynamic duo.

    We had some successful trick plays that turned the tide in possession game.

    We had fewer penalties except for false starts and we at least attempted to even up the turnover battle.

    We remained a good road team except against Missouri.

    We added some better passing routes to JB as we broke him into his new postion.

    It seemed like our three and outs went down during the season as JB managed to find a way.

    An old theory is if you have more offensive production (JB had some 400-500 ypg leading the team), then the defensive yards given up decreases.


    Last edited by Wesley; 12-08-2011 at 12:20 PM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 82,181, Level: 89
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,569
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    khaal53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,517
    Points
    82,181
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 1

    Re: enCYCLONEpedia: Second Half Adjustments

    Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post
    That is a lot of data. But...One thing I think would be interesting to see is:

    First half versus Second half of season % of RedZone Appearances by our opponents that resulted in a stop by our D or FG instead of TD.

    To me, without having the data, that seemed like the most notable difference between the two halfs of the year. We became very good at defending against the TD in the redzone (while perhaps giving up a FG but often times this was the "best" outcome".
    This RZ data DOES include OT possessions that made it inside the 20.

    In games 1-6 this year, opponents were in the RZ 29 times and scored on 24 of those occasions (83%). 17 of those were TDs (59%) and the other 7 were FGs. Further, that means that 33% of opponents possessions made it to the RZ.

    In games 7-12 opponents made it to the RZ 23 times and scored on 18 of those trips (79%). 8 of those scores were TD (35%) and the other 10 were FGs. And 30% of total possessions made it to the RZ.

    So yes, a lot of your thought is true.




    I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 30,074, Level: 53
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 776
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    CycloneWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Urbandale,Ia
    Posts
    3,252
    Points
    30,074
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 2

    Re: enCYCLONEpedia: Second Half Adjustments

    Opposing teams did a better job of containing Barnett on scrambles. Expecially Oklahoma and kstate



  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 63,214, Level: 77
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    3,378
    Points
    63,214
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 3

    Re: enCYCLONEpedia: Second Half Adjustments

    Khaal, good stuff as always. I've been thinking that this team could be the best team that ISU has had in recent memory. Best not record wise of course but how they performed against their schedule.

    They might not be as good as those 70's team but from the 80's on this team has performed as good or better as any team I can remember. Even in the losses against ranked opponents they have been competitive which can't be said of the past teams even of those other teams that went bowling. I know those Dan McCarney teams in the 2000's had a good win totals but some of them only played a few ranked opponents so it is hard to compare record wise.

    Wondering if you have some stats or analysis to show how this team stacks against the past bowling teams and where their place is in the history of ISU.



  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 82,181, Level: 89
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,569
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    khaal53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,517
    Points
    82,181
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 1

    Re: enCYCLONEpedia: Second Half Adjustments

    Quote Originally Posted by bosco View Post
    Khaal, good stuff as always. I've been thinking that this team could be the best team that ISU has had in recent memory. Best not record wise of course but how they performed against their schedule.

    ...

    Wondering if you have some stats or analysis to show how this team stacks against the past bowling teams and where their place is in the history of ISU.
    Thanks.

    I have a ton of team stats that I could show you but I'm not really sure how that would equate to which teams were better, you know? I could just do the generic yardage and scoring numbers and that would about be it.

    I don't currently have any SOS numbers, but could do a bit of research for the teams that went bowling. It wouldn't actually be a SOS but just the opponent's W-L record which would be a little telling but could also mean next to nothing since the conference team wins and losses just balance out.

    I could also incorporate the # of games against ranked opponents...does any of that sound like what you're looking for? I could try to throw something together.




    I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 63,214, Level: 77
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    3,378
    Points
    63,214
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 3

    Re: enCYCLONEpedia: Second Half Adjustments

    Quote Originally Posted by khaal53 View Post
    Thanks.

    I have a ton of team stats that I could show you but I'm not really sure how that would equate to which teams were better, you know? I could just do the generic yardage and scoring numbers and that would about be it.

    I don't currently have any SOS numbers, but could do a bit of research for the teams that went bowling. It wouldn't actually be a SOS but just the opponent's W-L record which would be a little telling but could also mean next to nothing since the conference team wins and losses just balance out.

    I could also incorporate the # of games against ranked opponents...does any of that sound like what you're looking for? I could try to throw something together.
    Yes that might work. I was just thinking that this team's record won't reflect just how good this team is due to the SOS. Maybe something that shows the win/loss of opposing teams and rankings versus margin of victory/defeat and compare it to other ISU teams that went bowling.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 303,138, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    cyhiphopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    17,054
    Points
    303,138
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,628
    Given: 3,592

    Re: enCYCLONEpedia: Second Half Adjustments

    Quote Originally Posted by khaal53 View Post
    If there is I'd like to know where. I've looked quite a bit and come up empty handed so far. It would be useful for what you describe as well as a few other areas that I'd like to tabulate.
    I guess you could look at drive by drive summaries for each game and see where each of the opponents drives started.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 61,609, Level: 76
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyinCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, IA
    Posts
    5,450
    Points
    61,609
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 0

    Re: enCYCLONEpedia: Second Half Adjustments

    Quote Originally Posted by khaal53 View Post
    This RZ data DOES include OT possessions that made it inside the 20.

    In games 1-6 this year, opponents were in the RZ 29 times and scored on 24 of those occasions (83%). 17 of those were TDs (59%) and the other 7 were FGs. Further, that means that 33% of opponents possessions made it to the RZ.

    In games 7-12 opponents made it to the RZ 23 times and scored on 18 of those trips (79%). 8 of those scores were TD (35%) and the other 10 were FGs. And 30% of total possessions made it to the RZ.

    So yes, a lot of your thought is true.
    Cool. This could be described as the "bend but don't break" defense concept. We did give up yards but, as the year wore on, when the opponent got into the RZ, I felt better that it wasn't a guaranteed TD for them.

    Good stuff! Thanks for the research!


    ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

    Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 82,181, Level: 89
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,569
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    khaal53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,517
    Points
    82,181
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 1

    Re: enCYCLONEpedia: Second Half Adjustments

    Quote Originally Posted by cyhiphopp View Post
    I guess you could look at drive by drive summaries for each game and see where each of the opponents drives started.
    Yeah, that's kinda-sorta how I was going about this the first half of the season for just the Big 12 teams. Then I found a method to do all of the NCAA in a little less time but I lost out on stuff like that...but still efforting.

    Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post
    Cool. This could be described as the "bend but don't break" defense concept. We did give up yards but, as the year wore on, when the opponent got into the RZ, I felt better that it wasn't a guaranteed TD for them.

    Good stuff! Thanks for the research!
    Yep...I have been meaning to do a wrietup on "bend but don't break" defenses based off of yards allowed/point scored but I just haven't gotten to it yet.




    I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. West Virginia
  • November 29, 2014
  • 11:00 AM