Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

NYC - airfare question??

Sorry to start another thread but after reading all the other threads regarding the bowl game I haven't seen too many touch on airfare.

My wife and I are still coordinating the babysitting aspect of the trip for our daughter so have been unable to pull the trigger on the trip yet, however, in looking at flights, it appears they keep going up and up.

What has everyone else been getting for airfare? I understand tickets are likely to go up, but wondering what is the average I should be looking to pay being that we are only 3 weeks out from the game.

We live in DM so would be open to flying out of DM, KC, or Omaha. We've searched the expedia, travelocity, etc websites and went to Southwests website directly but have not had any luck finding anything less than $600-$700 roundtrip per person.

All-Star
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 434
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 14

Re: NYC - airfare question??

I think you can fly out of KC for 400 for direct (continental) to NYC. There are some flights with one stop for around 300ish. Not too bad.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 289
    Given: 41

Delta had a flight coming in the day before and leaving the day after for just over $400 when I looked yesterday.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 847
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 128

We're flying from MSP round trip for $470, direct flights. A little pricier than Kansas City, but that's where the babysitter is so I didn't have much choice.

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 341
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

[QUOTE=jonnyb21;2560483]Sorry to start another thread but after reading all the other threads regarding the bowl game I haven't seen too many touch on airfare.

My wife and I are still coordinating the babysitting aspect of the trip for our daughter so have been unable to pull the trigger on the trip yet, however, in looking at flights, it appears they keep going up and up.

Chicago O'Hare is your best option on AA. UA is probably identical.

29th - 31th - ORD-EWR Newark : $308 -$328 depending on times

Lots of Iowans drive to ORD to get the lowest fares.

I just loooked at DSM - EWR: over $1,000 round trip, same days.

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 439
    Given: 379

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyb21 View Post
    Sorry to start another thread but after reading all the other threads regarding the bowl game I haven't seen too many touch on airfare.

What has everyone else been getting for airfare? I understand tickets are likely to go up, but wondering what is the average I should be looking to pay being that we are only 3 weeks out from the game.

We live in DM so would be open to flying out of DM, KC, or Omaha. We've searched the expedia, travelocity, etc websites and went to Southwests website directly but have not had any luck finding anything less than $600-$700 roundtrip per person.

Don't limit your options to one airport. Check Newark, LaGuardia, and Kennedy. We are flying into White Plains (45 minutes north of Yankee Stadium). You can also try Philadelphia, New Haven, Hartford, Albany, and more. If you rent a car, the time it takes to get anywhere is dependent upon the time of day. Just assume that traffic will be heavy on Friday morning. You can probably also get just about anywhere with regional busses and trains. Airport hotels usually cost less in these places than in NYC.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 198
    Given: 26

O'Hare to LaGuardia was $244 when I checked a few minutes ago for 29th-31st. Crappy flight times but hey, it's reasonably priced.

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 439
    Given: 379

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    O'Hare to LaGuardia was $244 when I checked a few minutes ago for 29th-31st. Crappy flight times but hey, it's reasonably priced.

We are driving overnight on Dec 28 from Ames for a flight on the morning of Dec 29 out of Chicago O'Hare. And returning on Jan 1. PM if you want to share the ride.

You can also take busses to/from Chicago. Greyhound has lots of stops in Iowa then stops near O'Hare. Megabus loads in Des Moines and goes downtown Chicago where you have to take an easy $2.25 train ride back to the airport. It will give you a warm-up for getting around New York on trains. Amtrak stops in a few Iowa cities, then goes downtown to Union Station. Like with Megabus, you have to take a short cab ride or walk 1/2 mile to the State Street subway train to O'Hare.