Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 107

Twister Sister Summary - Ladies take down Iowa

Just got home, its late and I'm still excited after watching what may be a pivotal, turning point for the ladies in red (white tonight!). Perhaps not for the season as its too early to tell, but we'll know soon what lessons were taken, whose confidence was raised, and how this team has come together.

We won in a game that shouldn't have been as close as the final score. I'll get my criticisms out of the way early. Free throw shooting. I've said it too many times already, but this team could have cost itself a win with the horrid free throw shooting that took place tonight. On the upside? Moody hit hers like a pro towards the end and iced this game. Prior to that, the team was sitting with a 50% average while Iowa was sinking one after another on their way to a team percentage near 80.

First half was one of runs by both teams. While it was close early, The ladies pulled out to a 16-9 lead before Iowa warmed up and ISU's offense completely disappeared. A few minutes later and Iowa had gone on a 12-0 run to take a 21-16 lead. During this time we clanked shots inside and outside. Moody in particular was having fits with Iowa's zone defense that was extended to 3/4 court. She turned the ball over like an elementary school girl and was clearly frustrated. Coach obviously was too. He kept pulling her hoping she would calm down but when she went back in nothing was working. This is where we are lucky to have two senior guards that can handle the ball. We were also lucky Iowa was well scouted as the offensive pattern we employed to bring the ball up worked well.

It was at this point the game really got exciting. ISU had scored to pull within 21-18 (or 19) when Pop got the ball and went for a layup. She was fouled hard from behind with no call, got the rebound down on the court and had two Iowa women nail her from the left and right. So what happened? No call. The officials spent an inordinate amount of time viewing video before pulling the coaches together. You could read Fennely's lips as he said, "you've got to be kidding me!" The officials called Pop for a flagrant foul. This sent Bill off and he went after a ref verbally and picked up a technical. The other coaches had to hold him back as the witless ref scrambled to get away. When it was all done, Iowa hit the four free throws and with the ensuing possession scored again to take their score to 28. This is when the first turning point happened. Rather than fold after a body blow like that, ISU responded. They scored, held, scored on a Moody 3 and were within striking range with only 3 seconds on the clock and Iowa having the ball. They turned it over under pressure and ISU had the ball with 1.6 seconds left. A nice inbounds play to Big C who was fouled and ISU was only down 28-27 at the half. An attitude had appeared.

After the half it was predominantly our ladies doing the work. Iowa continued to get in foul trouble even when the officials chose not to call them on numerous occasions. ISU's defense caused turnovers, Iowa missed shots and this slowly became a statement by our ladies as their defense continued to thwart the Hawks time and time again. For the most part we switched superbly and cut them off or covered their outside shooters. Didn't matter who played. We shut them down. The lead would stretch to double digits only to see that ugly free throw thing rear its head. While Iowa was making their shots to slowly pull closer...eventually within 6...we missed the front end of two straight one and ones. To me that is the same as a turnover. The real turning point was when Printy fouled out. Iowa had lost its best defender and never really slowed the sisters down after that. Moody iced the game by hitting every free throw to end the game at 62-54.

Moody. She's good folks and she's young. Very fast, but sometimes just as out of control. She had four of our six early turnovers against a tough Iowa defense. She did get it together to have a nice overall game. She hit a critical three, pulled down some great rebounds, broke the defense in the second half and ended with 13 points. 5-4 assist to turnover margin. Has to improve.

Cole - very solid game tonight managing the ball. She did everything the team asked of her dishing out 7 assists, no turnovers, and 2 steals. Very solid.

Loz - a break out game. The threes began to rain finally. She hit three of seven and they were all at critical times that separated us or answered a Hawk threat. 15 points hu rah!

Big C - disappointing game from my perspective. She always hustles and is working hard...dont' get me wrong. She wasn't hitting her shots and couldn't handle inlet passes all night. Had some defensive troubles too. Still keeps right on trying which is what you want to see.

Prins - welcome back Anna! Limited playing time again. While her scoring was there at all...her bunnies barely made the rim and her three point shot wasn't close...she was a rebounding machine. I've never seen her dominate the boards the way she did tonight for the short time she was in. A difference maker.

Jess - Ms. Hustle. defensive stopper and goes like the energizer bunny. The three points and three boards don't say it all. Her defense did. I'm tempted to call her the eraser as she makes people go away.

Pop - She's the all star right now. Missed some good shots, but mostly due to Iowa players beating the hell out of her. Drew her customary charges tonight. Nine boards, ten points. A minor knee injury late in the game. It almost appeared as if she hit her knee on the court. Ouch! Gotta love her.

Williamson - Ms. Clutch tonight. Hit some big threes on her way to 11 points. She shows a level of confidence that is unusual for a freshman...except we have two that do it every day.

This was a statement game. Iowa has a lot of talent. Supposedly had a top 10 recruiting class. If you take away the missed free throws this game is a blow out in the second half. They were frustrated. The only other bad thing to mention was getting out-rebounded by 10. The Hawks had FORTY EIGHT boards. Wow. Great number to talk about? Turnovers. Iowa 22, ISU 12. Consider we had 8 at the half. Great job ladies! The level of confidence this group showed to come back and manage this game is exciting. I hope we see some lights have turned on and that they believe in what they are capable of. They just beat what I believe will be a tournament team tonight. One step at a time...this was a great step forward!

See you Sunday folks!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,450
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 50

Re: Twister Sister Summary - Ladies take down Iowa

Great write-up

Pro
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 67

Mucho better write up then the Register

All-Star
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 939
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 10

Once again I thank you for the clear, complete, but concise detail.

Whether you think you can or think you can't;
    you are right. Henry Ford

Starter
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

Thanks for the great summary.

Note: halftime score, 27-26.

Hallie's catch, shoot, and make to end the half made up for any of her slippery fingers the rest of the game! It was a terrific pass from Moody, but Hallie had to catch and finish. That was just huge for the team to put an exclamation point going into the locker room.

Plus, give Hallie her due for the defense she played on Morgan Johnson. That's a tough assignment. Hallie contested every shot, and more importantly, made it difficult for Johnson to get the ball and shoot. Hallie had great rebounding position, and Johnson probably should have fouled out earlier.

Starter
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I would second what was said about Cole; I think she had a major calming influence on our offense when she went into the game. She was able to control the tempo and get us into our sets; also played well on defense with two steals. Early on, we did not know what to do against the Iowa press, but Cole did.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 630
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22

Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat View Post
    I would second what was said about Cole; I think she had a major calming influence on our offense when she went into the game. She was able to control the tempo and get us into our sets; also played well on defense with two steals. Early on, we did not know what to do against the Iowa press, but Cole did.
    Cole is what she is. You can count on her to play effective defense and not turn the ball over much. Depending on the opponent, she can be a real asset, as she apparently was in this game (I wasn't able to watch much -- hopefully CZ will post a replay so I can watch it).

She's not flashy and doesn't have much scoring ability, but she does certain things well and she doesn't have many ups or downs. That is a very good thing to have when the freshmen are playing like freshmen.

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 566
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by mred View Post
    Cole is what she is. You can count on her to play effective defense and not turn the ball over much. Depending on the opponent, she can be a real asset, as she apparently was in this game (I wasn't able to watch much -- hopefully CZ will post a replay so I can watch it).

She's not flashy and doesn't have much scoring ability, but she does certain things well and she doesn't have many ups or downs. That is a very good thing to have when the freshmen are playing like freshmen.
    Cole was actually playing defense on the 3/4 positions a good part of this game, especially with Iowa running more of a 4 1 type offense. But, she did bring the ball up a few times, but she was mainly subbing in for Pop. She and Jess were then playing

Frankly, she did not run the offense much, and when she did she had trouble handling Iowa's ball pressure.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post
    Frankly, she did not run the offense much
    It's amazing that she had 7 assists then. Do you recall what kind of assists they were? Was she just making good passes at the right times?

She does struggle playing point against aggressive defenses, but I could see her being a good passer from a non-point position. It's just not ideal to have a guard with no offense playing anything other than point.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post

Moody. She's good folks and she's young. Very fast, but sometimes just as out of control. She had four of our six early turnovers against a tough Iowa defense. She did get it together to have a nice overall game. She hit a critical three, pulled down some great rebounds, broke the defense in the second half and ended with 13 points. 5-4 assist to turnover margin. Has to improve.

See you Sunday folks!
    Thanks for the recap. I do have to once again defend Moody.

Does Moody have room for improvement, yes. Did she make mistakes, yes. However, if you want a fearless fast point guard, they are going to make some mistakes and sometimes be out of control. That is just the nature of these dribble drive fast players. We have to be careful to not brake the beast by taming it. Her fearlessness should not be taken away. We don't want her timid.

Frankly, considering the tremendous ball pressure constant double teaming and full court pressure Iowa put on her, I think 4 turnovers is decent. And Cole did not handle it well at all, nor was she able to "run" the offense, having several times doing that hand off crap at the 3 point line completely destroying spacing, and rhythm. Cole is a great defender, and a decent back up, but in Big 12 play, Moody and Loz need to be our ball handlers.

The difference in our offense this game? Dribble penetration cracked the zone. Loz and Moody. It gave our offense good spacing, it opened up our shooters for wide open looks.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mred View Post
    It's amazing that she had 7 assists then. Do you recall what kind of assists they were? Was she just making good passes at the right times?

She does struggle playing point against aggressive defenses, but I could see her being a good passer from a non-point position. It's just not ideal to have a guard with no offense playing anything other than point.
    She had 3 or 4 bounce passes into the post from the wing in the first half, the skip pass to Moody before half, and she had a few up the court passes on Iowa TO breakaways. She also tried to do a breakaway layup and missed badly and turned the ball over.

Most of those post entries happened when Iowa was in man, before we went cold when they went zone, which they stayed in for the remaining 30 minutes of the game.

Again, Iowa was putting ball pressure on the point guard, often double teaming them even during sets, which freed up our 2 and 3 guards, to make shots and good passes.

Last edited by twistedredbird; 12-08-2011 at 09:59 AM.

Starter
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

Cole had a couple of really nice passes with a post going to the basket. Generally, the guards executed a very effective passing game that created openings, and it was just a matter of which guard had the ball to make the assist. In other words, the offense benefited because there was much less dribbling most of the time -- combined with some good dribble penetration.

Seconding the support for Moody. Every game like this is a new experience for her. She definitely looked confused early bringing the ball up, deer in the headlights. Made decisions that seemed more like, I'm supposed to pass/go here, so here it goes, without reading the defense. Her four turnovers may have all come early in the first half. Then no more. That's a fast learner and an outstanding adjustment by a freshman in a big time game.

Rookie
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by cydney View Post
    Thanks for the great summary.

Note: halftime score, 27-26.
    To go along with this, Whalin (I believe she was the first shooter) missed her first free throw after the "Pop incident."

Anyway, your write-ups are always a way to relive the excitement! The girls seem to make games so intense that it's good to look back on it later.

Starter
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 747
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 66

Seemed to me that most of Moody's turnover mistakes were in the first half. Once the run was made going into the break and 2nd half play began, she seemed to be at a whole different level, mentally. I have been impressed with her abilities in pretty much every game so far. But the 2nd half of this one makes me think that she's catching on quickly as to exactly what she needs to be doing.

Great win for the Twister Sisters, for sure! Fennelly is undefeated against Iowa in Hilton. The praise heaped upon Bluder continues to baffle me. She has to be the most honored mediocre coach in the country: three Big 10 COY awards while Fennelly has yet to win a single one? Plus, Bluder has never won an NCAA 2nd round game while at either Iowa or Drake. I was looking for it and had to dig. Iowa's media information doesn't really mention her post-season history much (coz there isn't much to mention).

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Buster28 View Post
    three Big 10 COY awards while Fennelly has yet to win a single one?
    To be fair, Fennelly has never coached in the Big 10.

(I couldn't help it)