Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 68

"Husker Hospitality"- Article

I tried to get this put into one of the Ames papers last week but they were full so I figured I'd post it on here...unfortunately this weekend didn't diminish my hatred for the Huskers much

“Husker Hospitality” for a Cyclone Fan

With the impending showdown at Memorial Stadium between Nebraska and Iowa State coming up this weekend, I thought it would be an appropriate time to share a special moment I’ve had as a Cyclone fan on the road in Lincoln. Some time has passed, and while they say that time heals all wounds, I still harbor some bitterness towards our neighbors to the west. This particular story takes place on March 1st, 2003 during a men’s basketball game at the Devaney Center. Some friends and I had become road warriors for the men’s team, attending games at every arena for the original Big 8 teams over a 2 year span.
    It was the 3rd time we had been to Nebraska, and had never been overly impressed by their hospitality. Two years before, I had the cane of an elderly man waved in my face when the officials called Martin Rancik’s last second bucket “no-good”. Seconds later when they reversed their decision, he had sprinted off before I could give him and the other fans that had screamed, cursed and spit at me and my old school Julius Michalik jersey a piece of my mind in return. Apparently the cane was just for show.

Because of our history at the Devaney Center, we weren’t shocked by all of the grief that we took. We were appalled, however, at the behavior of the man in his 40’s who sat behind us with his grade school aged son. We had cut the lead to one possession and were cheering loudly when the guy reached down and started to wave his hands wildly in front of my face. I moved my head away, and continued cheering. When Nebraska got a steal and a 3 point play, he went ballistic and went back to blocking my view and waving like crazy. I finally turned around as he continued to swing around my vision and returned the favor, asking how he liked it. Unfortunately, my lack of vision contributed to my catching a piece of his glasses.

He told me that I would be sorry, and I turned back to the game, relieved to be able to watch the game in relative peace. Moments later a police officer tapped me on the shoulder and asked me to come with him. I told him I would be happy to oblige in a few minutes as it was a 5 point game with only 2 minutes and change remaining. He had other ideas, and told me that I needed to come speak with him immediately. I replied that as long as we could talk from the top of the stairs where I could see, I would come along. When we got to the top, he told me we were going out into the concourse. At this point, I told him that I had paid for my seats, done nothing wrong and in fact was harassed repeatedly. Furthermore, I would be watching the rest of the game as we discussed the details.

Apparently he didn’t see things the same way, because I was immediately handcuffed and led out to the concourse. Once there, I reacted as any responsible young adult would; I screamed that he had no right to remove me and that he was discriminating against me because I had the wrong colors on. As I loudly protested, the game ended with a 69-63 loss for the Cyclones. The Nebraska fans took no small amount of pleasure in seeing a Cyclone in chains outside the game, and I was subjected to several taunts until a few Huskers who were sitting nearby at the time informed the officer that it was actually the other guy’s fault. Finally, I was released without apology and sent on my way. I was not a Husker fan before, and needless to say I care even less for them after that road trip. Ever the optimist, I’d like to think that my extra yelling and screaming could have helped push us over the top on that day, although realistically I realize that’s not the case. This weekend, I’m hoping for a different outcome than we had that day in the win column as well as my handcuffing incident. However, if given the choice, I’d take a high voltage tasering to the face this time around to get out of Lincoln with a big win!

“I’m just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard,” Eustachy joked. “If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, he’ll be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.”

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: "Husker Hospitality"- Article

Wow man, that's crazy. I've dealt with similar morons at Devaney, but nothing like this. They are TERRIBLE basketball fans... I don't think they even understand the game.

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Addict
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,594
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 8

I've been to the Devaney Center before for a women's basketball game and we had to put up with a few idiot fans too but most of the Nebraska fans around the 1 or 2 people let them know they didn't appreciate it either.

I changed my mind some after the game Saturday which was my first at Memorial Stadium. I still can't stand the "Go Big Red" chant and how they still find a way to complain about how "bad" they are after they just won 35-17 but we were treated VERY well at the bar and at the stadium. MUCH better than the fans of our rivals to the East. Didn't get cussed at, taunted, or any kind of unsportsmanlike behavior out of any of the fans we sat near or passed by outside of the stadium.

Go Cubs Go!

Addict
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 711
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by frontrangeclone View Post
    Wow man, that's crazy. I've dealt with similar morons at Devaney, but nothing like this. They are TERRIBLE basketball fans... I don't think they even understand the game.
    Yeah, I still have fond memories of the place though because of the Rancik buzzer beater. We had snuck down to the 2nd row for the 2nd half, and were screaming like crazy during the missed free-throws after our "Foul-a-Friend" strategy on Kimani Friend. After they waved off Rancik's bucket I have never felt so close to being gang beaten by the old men with their canes and raging students (who talked trash about how good their volleyball team was all game). Praise the good Lord that they eventually counted the basket, because that section cleared out in about 2 seconds after that and we could breathe again.

**As a side note, on the way back from that Rancik game we stopped at Iowa Western CC to watch a JUCO game and Terry Carroll was there recruiting. He was the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet and sat with us talking ISU sports. At halftime of that game, we went walking around and found the "Lil' Red" blow up thing left unattended in a hallway. We were about 10 seconds from packing it into my Mazda and heading to Ames on top of the world when the Scarlets dance team came back. How sweet would that have been to have tailgating for the NU games? We could have gotten people drunk and put them in there to push them around and make Lil' Red look ridiculous

“I’m just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard,” Eustachy joked. “If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, he’ll be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.”

Addict
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,594
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by tigershoops31 View Post
    **As a side note, on the way back from that Rancik game we stopped at Iowa Western CC to watch a JUCO game and Terry Carroll was there recruiting. He was the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet and sat with us talking ISU sports. At halftime of that game, we went walking around and found the "Lil' Red" blow up thing left unattended in a hallway. We were about 10 seconds from packing it into my Mazda and heading to Ames on top of the world when the Scarlets dance team came back. How sweet would that have been to have tailgating for the NU games? We could have gotten people drunk and put them in there to push them around and make Lil' Red look ridiculous
    Ah man, there is sooooo many funny possibilities that could have come from that!

Go Cubs Go!

Just Win Baby
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

Nebraska football fans are the best that I have came across IMO. They treated us very well. They are as knowledgable of the game of football as any fan base across the country

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I love reading the stories about the cyclone alley group that goes to devaney and outcheers most of the arena... now NU fans know how it feels when they come to others football stadiums and take over. Grrr. ISU has had some decent success in devaney the last few years if my memory serves me correct...

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I was at the game on Saturday in Lincoln and felt really welcomed by the NU fans. I always have had a good time with their fans when I am over there. The thing is though, I've never been in Lincoln when we've won. From my own personal experience, Huskers have always been very gracious in victory at football games. I've never been to Lincoln for any other sporting venues. I really enjoyed visiting with the NU people this past weekend.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240

I love Nebraska fans at the games. Awesome people to be around.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by tigershoops31 View Post
    Unfortunately, my lack of vision contributed to my catching a piece of his glasses.

Moments later a police officer tapped me on the shoulder and asked me to come with him. I told him I would be happy to oblige in a few minutes as it was a 5 point game with only 2 minutes and change remaining. He had other ideas, and told me that I needed to come speak with him immediately.
    Not be a pain here, but if a cop asks you to go talk to him, you don't tell him WHEN he can talk to you. And you don't kick and scream, especially if like you said, you really think you did nothing wrong. Just my opinion though....

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 272
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I lived my hs and college life with the stay away from cops and if they do come by be as cordial as possible. I have (knock on wood) never been arrested. I don't think they take to kindly to people yelling and throwing fits. Why give them a reason to give you crap?

Just in case you didn't know... I'm a girl.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 4VR4CY View Post
    I lived my hs and college life with the stay away from cops and if they do come by be as cordial as possible. I have (knock on wood) never been arrested. I don't think they take to kindly to people yelling and throwing fits. Why give them a reason to give you crap?
    That is exactly my policy. My brother is a cop and most of them are great people, until you act like a *******.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 602
    Given: 369

Sometimes fans have to swallow their pride and just ignore people. Yeah, fancy that acting like an adult in the face of childish behavior.

When you go on the road, right or wrong, you best expect to be heckled at least a little bit. If you can't handle that, stay home.

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    When you go on the road, right or wrong, you best expect to be heckled at least a little bit. If you can't handle that, stay home.
    Agreed, you really have to learn to dust a lot of the crap you get off your shoulder (particularly when you're dressed in face paint and a cape)

For the record, though, compared to the Toledo fans, the Nebraska fans were angels

Addict
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 711
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cys_av8r View Post
    Not be a pain here, but if a cop asks you to go talk to him, you don't tell him WHEN he can talk to you. And you don't kick and scream, especially if like you said, you really think you did nothing wrong. Just my opinion though....
    Normally I'd agree with you there, but when he comes down with 2 minutes left in a tight game that you drove 3 hours to get to and ONLY takes you out it was a little different in the heat of the moment. What I don't get is if there is a dispute why you wouldn't take both people aside and figure it out??