Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

What is everyone gonna do in NYC

Ok, I understand everyone will go to the game but we are flying out on the 25th and coming back the 31st. We looked in to going to David Letterman, but have to jump through to many loop holes to get tickets. We also looked into going to a play(go ahead give me ****) but they are all sold out. Its a given to see the Statue of Liberty and MSG, but does anyone have anyother ideas on stuff to do that can really make the expirence that much better? Open for ideas...thanks!

Rookie
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 523
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Re: What is everyone gonna do in NYC

Get drunk and be somebody.

Rule #24

Put Percy in the play pen.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 996
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217
    Given: 15

I am excited to hear if anyone has any ideas. I want to see the Christmas Tree in Rockefeller Plaza. Central Park, Broadway, Times Square. I think a Circle Line boat tour would be good. Would like to see Ground Zero and the Empire State building. Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.

I am very curious about what people have planned for new years eve. I will be traveling with 3 other people ranging in age from 27 to 62. So we aren't going to do a bar. And we have no desire to wait 8 hours on Times Square. And would prefer not to break the bank. That's going to be tough. There is a New York Philharmonic Concert at Lincoln Center. It appears there might be tickets available still at fairly reasonable prices. That sounds like fun and unique to me. Also there is some church 'concert of peace'. Sounds less fun, but still unique. Chuck Berry is at the BB King Restuarant as well.

Rookie
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

saturday night live?

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

First on your list has to be "Ground Zero". This is hallowed ground that could be a once in a lifetime chance. My daughter is going there next year. I'd hit the Statue of Liberty and the New York Stock Exchange if you can.
    What about hitting Madison Square Garden? Some of the greatest EVER sporting events have been performed there. You will already be in Yankee Stadium. (Even though it's "the" fake Yankee Stadium. If you could hit a Broadway show. That would be awsome.
    If you could leave the older folks at the hotel, I sure would hit Times Square for New Years Eve. New York City is the mecca of life. Live it to the fullest my friend!

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,266
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Looked into Ground Zero and you have to reserve passes. Our passes are on the 31st at 6:30. That day looked like the only available. Don't know if that's tours or just to go in. It was also free, but can give a donation. Also probably going to Central Park on route to the Yankee Stadium.

Starter
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 156
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriCyclone View Post
    Looked into Ground Zero and you have to reserve passes. Our passes are on the 31st at 6:30. That day looked like the only available. Don't know if that's tours or just to go in. It was also free, but can give a donation. Also probably going to Central Park on route to the Yankee Stadium.
    We are planning on going to the 9/11 Memorial and unfortunately all of the reservations to the museum were gone during our trip. Still going, just won't get into the "tour".

Never been to NYC before but we are also planning on Central Park, FAO Schwarz, Time's Square, MSG(No basketball or hockey scheduled), Top of the Rock and skating, Empire State Building, Staten Island Ferry, Statue of Liberty, Wall Street, Brooklyn Bridge, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Wall St., and Battery Park. Are we crazy thinking we can do all of this??? Going to be busy that's for sure. Would really like to do the Circle Cruise all the way around the island but don't know if we can afford 3 hours for it. Anyone say if it's a MUST???

Prospect
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 379
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

If anyone is into rock/blues rock/jam style music, Gov't Mule is doing shows both the 30th at 8pm (maybe could make that still?) and on the 31st at 9pm. It's at the Beacon Theatre (just a few miles from Yankee stadium) and their NYE concerts are always a big deal, lots of guests, covers, etc. Often even released as albums.

Don't think I can get it all together to make it out there, but seeing both ISU and the Mule in one trip would be 2 of my favorite things besides the all other NYC items

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

TKTS - Discount Broadway Tickets Booth

At the link is information about how to get half price tickets to Broadway shows. Looks like you can get them online now, but one of the locations is South Street Seaport, kind of touristy, but on lower Manhattan near the Brooklyn Bridge, some here may want to check out (use Google).

Never went on it but I've heard the Circle Line tour is great, and there is a great view from the top of the Empire State Building in midtown.

MSG I'm not sure I get the attraction, though I saw a Knicks game there once.

Some things are obvious, like Statue of Liberty, Wall Street, Central Park.

There is a lot of history there, like Wall Street, which isn't very long, used to actually be a wall for protection, Alexander Hamilton is buried near one end at an old church, George Washington was sworn in on Wall Street as president at the old Federal hall. PBS did a multi-show documentary on NYC history that is probably axailable in the library, produced by Rick Burns (Ken Burns' brother).

I won't be there but just putting some ideas out there.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 389
    Given: 316

Quote Originally Posted by thisISnextyear View Post
    We are planning on going to the 9/11 Memorial and unfortunately all of the reservations to the museum were gone during our trip. Still going, just won't get into the "tour".

Never been to NYC before but we are also planning on Central Park, FAO Schwarz, Time's Square, MSG(No basketball or hockey scheduled), Top of the Rock and skating, Empire State Building, Staten Island Ferry, Statue of Liberty, Wall Street, Brooklyn Bridge, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Wall St., and Battery Park. Are we crazy thinking we can do all of this??? Going to be busy that's for sure. Would really like to do the Circle Cruise all the way around the island but don't know if we can afford 3 hours for it. Anyone say if it's a MUST???

Check out the church near Ground Zero that survived and was used as a resting place for emergency workers 24/7.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by hoelsch44 View Post
    If anyone is into rock/blues rock/jam style music, Gov't Mule is doing shows both the 30th at 8pm (maybe could make that still?) and on the 31st at 9pm. It's at the Beacon Theatre (just a few miles from Yankee stadium) and their NYE concerts are always a big deal, lots of guests, covers, etc. Often even released as albums.

Don't think I can get it all together to make it out there, but seeing both ISU and the Mule in one trip would be 2 of my favorite things besides the all other NYC items
    T E R R A B L U E S in Greenwich Village for great blues. Played until 3:30am the last time I went (on a Thursday night!).

The Blue Note for great jazz.

Prospect
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BTYamsac View Post
    First on your list has to be "Ground Zero". This is hallowed ground that could be a once in a lifetime chance. My daughter is going there next year. I'd hit the Statue of Liberty and the New York Stock Exchange if you can.
    What about hitting Madison Square Garden? Some of the greatest EVER sporting events have been performed there. You will already be in Yankee Stadium. (Even though it's "the" fake Yankee Stadium. If you could hit a Broadway show. That would be awsome.
    If you could leave the older folks at the hotel, I sure would hit Times Square for New Years Eve. New York City is the mecca of life. Live it to the fullest my friend!
    Just a couple of thoughts...

The Statue of Liberty is always a great location. If you can get over to Liberty State Park here on the Jersey side of the Hudson you will get some tremendous views of the Manhattan skyline, especially the on-going build of the Freedom Tower. Also, you can get some great views of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge.

MSG has just undergone a massive renovation. As such the "All Access Tour" is currently closed. I'd suggest checking out this site for more information.

For Broadway shows, you may want to check out the TKTS Discount Booths for less expensive tickets. However, keep in mind the tickets sold are for the performance on the day you buy the ticket(s).

Depending on your interests, you may also want to check out the Museum of Natural History, and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The Rockefeller Christmas Tree will still be up. You may also want to take a walk through St. Patrick's Cathedral. Of course there is always the Empire State Building.

As for Yankee Stadium, if you want to see Monument Park, it is usually open up to a half hour before the start of the game. The vantage point to the field can be quite unique because of how close you are to the end zone. For Yankees fans and those who love history, I would definitely recommend the Yankees Museum which is located inside the Stadium by Gate 6. I do not know if it will be open during the game, but I believe it will be open prior to the game.

Rutgers Athletics Gallery

Want to follow me? [Twitter] [Facebook]

Fear is the dark room in which negatives are developed. - Anon.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by RUNYYFan View Post
    Just a couple of thoughts...

The Statue of Liberty is always a great location. If you can get over to Liberty State Park here on the Jersey side of the Hudson you will get some tremendous views of the Manhattan skyline, especially the on-going build of the Freedom Tower. Also, you can get some great views of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge.

MSG has just undergone a massive renovation. As such the "All Access Tour" is currently closed. I'd suggest checking out this site for more information.

For Broadway shows, you may want to check out the TKTS Discount Booths for less expensive tickets. However, keep in mind the tickets sold are for the performance on the day you buy the ticket(s).

Depending on your interests, you may also want to check out the Museum of Natural History, and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The Rockefeller Christmas Tree will still be up. You may also want to take a walk through St. Patrick's Cathedral. Of course there is always the Empire State Building.

As for Yankee Stadium, if you want to see Monument Park, it is usually open up to a half hour before the start of the game. The vantage point to the field can be quite unique because of how close you are to the end zone. For Yankees fans and those who love history, I would definitely recommend the Yankees Museum which is located inside the Stadium by Gate 6. I do not know if it will be open during the game, but I believe it will be open prior to the game.

How about the New York Public Library? It is wonderful.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyDaMan View Post
    We also looked into going to a play(go ahead give me ****) but they are all sold out.
    Most shows set aside tickets for same day performances. There's a TKTS booth at Times Square where you can buy them half price. Although the line looks long, it tends to move quickly. You can usually get shows that have been running a long time (Lion King, Rock of Ages, Chicago, Wicked).

Walking down Fifth Avenue is also nice. All the fancy stores have their windows decked out for Christmas. Don't forget FAO Schwartz (worlds largest toy store, with the giant piano from Big). Also, if you get a chance, go to Chinatown (Canal Street) & buy some fake stuff or bootleg DVDs. If you're adventurous, go to a Chinese restaurant in Chinatown with the ducks hanging in the window & order off a menu with no English in it.

Prospect
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    How about the New York Public Library? It is wonderful.
    Yes! The NYPL is a definite destination. The main branch is located at 455 5th Ave.

Rutgers Athletics Gallery

Want to follow me? [Twitter] [Facebook]

Fear is the dark room in which negatives are developed. - Anon.